Why are dogs more intelligent than cats?

• Thread starter oquen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dogs
In summary: Obviously the individual animals vary. Some cats seem dull but some others seem smart. Some dogs are dull but other dogs are smart.Are you saying dog and cats are similarly intelligent?This question is not well phrased, because intelligence is not just a linear scale. If one group is better at one class of problems and another group is better at a different class of problems, then which one is more intelligent? It depends on how heavily you weight the ability to solve the one class of problems over the other.
The two cats i remember both got the upper hand over their respective dogs.
It was a slow and subtle progression.

I put an aluminum "Doggy Door" in the back room. The cat wouldn't go through it until he'd pushed it slightly ajar and peeked through , to be sure it was safe i guess.
So i replaced it with clear plexiglass. That made Cat happy, he'd sit behind it watching for birds in the yard. Cat soon learned to put his paw up just as Dog started in so he'd bump his nose and retreat. Cat loved the game and would keep dog out until i intervened..
Then i noticed Cat would position himself in a doorway between us and Dog and stare Dog down, daring him to approach. Dog made it known he wanted to join us but Cat delighted in tormenting him like a mean little kid.
Another Cat torment was to get up on a chair that Dog had to pass by and sink his claws into Dog's tail. Sometimes he'd jump onto Dog's back which terrified Dog. I guess he'd got his claws into Dog's nose often enough to discourage him from fighting back.
That cat could torment Dog into a temper tantrum ; he'd get right in Cat's face and bark for a whole minute but from a safe distance just out of claw's reach.Cats just don't care much about bipeds i guess. All they want from us is to be fed and stroked.
But they do have emotions. Once Cat was in my chair and wouldn't move, so i tilted it forward and dumped him on the floor. He got up, slowly and deliberately turned around and swatted my knee with a paw but no claws, a definite "Oh Yeah ? Take That!" gesture. Then he strutted away with body language that reeked indignation and condescension.
I'd wounded his pride and he made it clear. Cats are plenty smart. Just you have to really watch them to notice.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...and_cognition_are_cats_smarter_than_dogs.html

Likes EnumaElish and OCR
Physics news on Phys.org
The stray cats and dogs are two groups I have spent a significant amount of time with, in my opinion cats are more intelligent than dogs on average. But the smartest dog I knew was easily able to come to our flat on thirteenth floor, paw the door to hang out with us. Both are wonderful pets.

I would say crows cats and dogs are some of the smartest animals commonly accessible to everyone around the world. You can try to feed a crow some bread and soon hundreds will appear!

Thread closed for Moderation...

I think the thread has said all it can say on the subject for GD and is closed.

Likes jim hardy and berkeman