Why are I, J, and K used for unit vectors?

• Thread starter abrowaqas
  • Start date
In summary, unit vectors are represented by I, J, and K as they are three consecutive letters of the alphabet and x, y, and z were already used. They have no units because they only signify direction. The unit vectors in Cartesian coordinates are constant, but in other coordinate systems, they may have variable directions. These unit vectors originated from quaternions, a 4D version of complex numbers, and are the basis for vector analysis. In some coordinate systems, such as polar coordinates, the unit vectors' directions may change.
abrowaqas
Why Unit vectors are represented by I, J and K ?

Why do unit vectors I, J and K have no units? are the unit vectors in the cylindrical and spherical coordinates system constant vectors?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
abrowaqas said:
Why not? They are three consecutive letters of the alphabet- and x, y, and z were already taken. (However, I feel I should point out that the unit vectors in the direction of the coordinate axes are NOT represented by "I, J and K", they are represented by i, j, and k. Or, better, by [itex]\vec{i}[/itex], [itex]\vec{j}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{k}[/itex].)

Why do unit vectors I, J and K have no units? are the unit vectors in the cylindrical and spherical coordinates system constant vectors?
If, in a particular application, your x, y, and z variables are in a measured in particular units, then those are the units of the vectors.

I'm not sure what you mean "unit vectors in the cylindrical and spherical coordinates system". No matter what coordinate system you use, you could still use i, j, and k, pointing in the direction of the x, y, and z axes. Those will be constant. Or you could use unit vectors pointing in the direction of r (or [itex]\rho[/itex]) and [itex]\theta[/itex] (and [itex]\phi[/itex]) at each point which would have constant length (1) but variable direction.

abrowaqas said:
1. Why not? Whatever they are called, you could ask why?
[tex]{\hat i},{\hat j},{\hat k}[/tex] are the unit vectors for Cartesian coordinates only. They are constant vectors.
2. Unit vectors have no units because they just signify direction.
4. The unit vectors for cylindrical and spherical coordinates (with other names) are not constant vectors.

Likes gracy
Meir Achuz said:
4. The unit vectors for cylindrical and spherical coordinates (with other names) are not constant vectors.
Except the k unit vector of the cylindrical coordinates system which correspond to the k unit vector of Cartesian coordinates system. :smile:

They come from the quaternions 1, i, j, and k. After the complex numbers (with units 1 and i) had some success as candidates for vectors there was a search for a 3D version of the complex numbers. Hamilton worked on this (among others) and was successful in discovering a 4D version (there is no 3D version) and he took the 1 and i from complex numbers and just labeled the two new complex units j and k (in order). j and k are imaginary just as i is.

[tex]i^2=j^2=k^2=-1[/tex] and [tex]ijk=-1[/tex] were the defining relations of this new structure he'd discovered. A general quaternion is expressed as a+bi+cj+dk and you can use the two properties given above to figure out what you get if you multiply them.

If you start with [tex]a_0+a_1i+a_2j+a_3k[/tex] and [tex]b_0+b_1i+b_2j+b_3k[/tex] and take their product (a-stuff times b-stuff) you'll get:

[tex]a_0b_0-\vec{a}\cdot \vec{b}+a_0\vec{b}+b_0\vec{a}+\vec{a}\times\vec{b}[/tex]

where the vector part of a quaternion [tex]a+bi+cj+dk[/tex] is [tex]bi+cj+dk[/tex].

Hamilton, so the story goes, was a horrible writer and after he wrote up his treatise on the quaternions no one could read it or understand it. A few brave souls tried and in the end (I've forgotten some of the middle story) Gibbs and Heaviside salvaged something useful out of it by separating quaternions into scalar and vector parts. This analysis that they derived from quaternions is the basis for the vector analysis we use today, thus the i, j, and k which have their original roots in complex numbers.

fantastic reason given by homology..

but you didn;t answer the second part of my question.

meir please give reasons.thanks hallsofivy you give good explanation..

The unit vectors have constant magnitude however in some coordinate systems their directions change.

Consider the following:
[tex]
\hat{r}=\cos\theta\hat{i}+\sin\theta\hat{j}
[/tex]
[tex]

\hat{\theta}=-\sin\theta\hat{i}+\cos\theta\hat{j}
[/tex]

If you want to describe a particle moving in the plane and you have its position expressed using [tex]\hat{r},\hat{\theta}[/tex] and you differentiate with respect to time you can see (and calculate) that [tex]\dot{\hat{r}}\neq 0[/tex] and [tex]\dot{\hat{\theta}}\neq 0[/tex]. Similiarly for double dots.

You can use these relations to do things like write Newton's second law in polar coordinates.

Last edited:
thanks homology...

i got it.

you give nice explanation..

Related to Why are I, J, and K used for unit vectors?

1. Why is the letter "I" used to represent the imaginary unit in mathematics?

The letter "I" is used to represent the imaginary unit in mathematics because it was first introduced by the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. He chose the letter "I" to represent the imaginary unit because it stands for "imaginary" in Latin.

2. Why does "J" represent the imaginary unit in electrical engineering?

The letter "J" is used to represent the imaginary unit in electrical engineering because it is the next letter after "I" in the alphabet and is not already used for another unit. It was chosen as a practical alternative to "I" in order to avoid confusion with the symbol for current, which is also represented by the letter "I".

3. Why is "K" used to represent the spring constant in physics?

The letter "K" is used to represent the spring constant in physics because it is the first letter of the word "constant". This convention was established by the German physicist Johann Christian Poggendorff in the 19th century as a way to easily identify the spring constant in equations.

4. Why are "I, J, K" commonly used as variables in computer programming?

The letters "I, J, K" are commonly used as variables in computer programming because they are short, easy to remember, and not commonly used for other purposes. They are often used as loop counters in programming languages such as C, Java, and Python.

5. Why do "I, J, K" often represent directions in 3D space?

The letters "I, J, K" are often used to represent directions in 3D space because they are commonly used as indices in mathematics and computer science. They can also be seen as shorthand for the x, y, and z axes, respectively. This convention allows for a more concise and consistent notation when working with 3D coordinates and vectors.