Why are my results not matching for orthonormalized vectors?

In summary, the conversation is about the correctness of the final answer for a problem involving two vectors, v1 and v2, and their orthonormalization. One person found the correct answer for v1 but the other person's answer for v2 does not match. It is also mentioned that there is an error in part (b) and that the first vector is actually t√3, not 3t. After some discussion, the error is found and the conversation ends on a positive note.
Shackleford
I found the final answer posted online, but my work doesn't match up.

v1 = 3t
v2 = 5t1/2 - 6t

Orthonormalized:

[itex]
v_1 = \sqrt{3}t [/itex] is correct.

[itex]
v_2 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{61}}(5t^{1/2} - 6t)[/itex] does not match.

Furthermore, my part (b) is wrong, too. I know my methods are correct. I don't understand why the answers aren't matching.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20120211_095108.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/File.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I realized some of my arithmetic is wrong/incomplete towards the end on (b). It's even worse now.

Well, for one thing ##v_1## isn't ##3t##. It is ##t\sqrt 3 ##.

LCKurtz said:
Well, for one thing ##v_1## isn't ##3t##. It is ##t\sqrt 3 ##.

Okay, yeah. I see what I wrote down that wasn't exactly right. Let me see if I didn't anything else wrong for the second orthogonal vector.

I found the problem. Thanks!

Last edited:

What is Advanced Linear Algebra?

Advanced Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations. It involves more complex concepts such as eigenvalues, eigenvectors, and diagonalization.

How is Advanced Linear Algebra different from Basic Linear Algebra?

Advanced Linear Algebra builds upon the concepts learned in Basic Linear Algebra and delves deeper into more complex topics such as subspaces, inner products, and orthogonality. It also involves more abstract thinking and requires a strong foundation in basic algebra and geometry.

What are some real-life applications of Advanced Linear Algebra?

Advanced Linear Algebra is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving systems of equations, optimization, and data analysis. It is also used in the development of machine learning algorithms and computer graphics.

What are some common challenges in learning Advanced Linear Algebra?

Some common challenges in learning Advanced Linear Algebra include understanding abstract concepts, applying complex equations and theorems, and visualizing high-dimensional spaces. It also requires a strong understanding of basic algebra and geometry, as well as a solid foundation in mathematical proofs.

How can one prepare for learning Advanced Linear Algebra?

To prepare for learning Advanced Linear Algebra, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic algebra and geometry, as well as a good grasp of mathematical proofs. It is also helpful to review topics from Basic Linear Algebra, such as matrices and determinants. Practice and repetition are key, so it is recommended to solve a variety of problems and seek help when needed.