Why are my terminals not marked on my capacitor?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of capacitor terminals and their designations, specifically in regards to AC circuits. The original post mentions a 250 VAC capacitor that is not polarized and can be connected either way. Some responses point out the importance of recognizing polarization in certain capacitors, while others mention the potential dangers of not doing so. The conversation also touches on the topic of motor capacitors and their specific ratings for voltage and usage. Finally, there is a humorous exchange about the original post possibly being a joke.
dana198
TL;DR Summary
I recently purchased a capacitor for my air compressor but the terminals are not marked by any means , i have never seen that before can anyone tell me what i should do ? Does it matter ?
20211226_031142.jpg
20211226_031157.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think is is a bi-polar type intended for AC, so polarity does not matter.

Likes Rive
The marking of capacitor terminals is an antiquated practice that is no longer necessary.

Capacitor terminals at various times in the past were designated with terms such as: In and Out, Up and Down, Plus and Minus, + and -, Charge and Discharge, etc. These terms where ambiguous to the neophyte to say the least.

As you know, today’s electric bolts consist mainly of poles and holes and are much more sophisticated than they once were. They therefore, are able to decipher which terminal is which, without the need for overt designations. And due to the fact the frequency of DC is much lower today than it once was; along with today’s environmental need to always be politically correct, the terminals must be capable of being used without prejudices or discrimination.
Then again, I might be wrong.

[Humorous post deprecated by the Mentors]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Likes davenn
It is a 250 VAC capacitor. It is 100 uF. It has symmetrical construction because it is for use in an AC circuit. It is not polarised and can be connected either way.

It could be the start or run capacitor for a single phase AC induction motor.
Is that the original or a replacement capacitor ?
What was the voltage rating and capacitance of the original capacitor ?
What is your supply voltage closest to; 115 VAC or 230 VAC ?
What is the HP or kW rating of the motor ?
Is there another capacitor on the motor, what specs ?

Likes sophiecentaur, DaveE and sysprog
AZFIREBALL said:
The marking of capacitor terminals is an antiquated practice that is no longer necessary.

Nope. Especially in the case of electrolytic caps it is crucial to connect them following polarity:

Likes phinds
AZFIREBALL said:

Capacitor terminals at various times in the past were designated with terms such as: In and Out, Up and Down, Plus and Minus, + and -, Charge and Discharge, etc. These terms where ambiguous to the neophyte to say the least.

As you know, today’s electric bolts consist mainly of poles and holes and are much more sophisticated than they once were. They therefore, are able to decipher which terminal is which, without the need for overt designations. And due to the fact the frequency of DC is much lower today than it once was; along with today’s environmental need to always be politically correct, the terminals must be capable of being used without prejudices or discrimination.
Then again, I might be wrong.
Is this whole post supposed to be a joke?

Likes davenn, Bystander and hutchphd
phinds said:
Probably. Maybe written with excessive Christmas lubrication.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, DaveE and phinds
phinds said:
If a joke it is in the same classification as the "inject chlorox for COVID" variety. Hopefully fueled by lubrication and not dementia.
But to reiterate:
AZFIREBALL said:
This is completely and totally incorrect. Many modern capacitors are polarized and failure to recognize this can be disastrous.

/

Likes russ_watters, davenn, dlgoff and 1 other person
To the OP: Your capacitor is clearly marked 250 VAC. That is the correct rating for a capacitor intended for use in a 120 volt AC application, such as a motor start or motor run capacitor. Posts #2 and #4 are correct.

To everybody who wants to be helpful: This thread is about motor capacitors. It is not a general thread on electrolytic capacitors. Please stay on topic. Also realize that the OP is clearly not an electrical engineer, so this is not an appropriate thread for EE jokes such as Post #3.

Likes sophiecentaur, dlgoff, berkeman and 3 others
jrmichler said:
Your capacitor is clearly marked 250 VAC. That is the correct rating for a capacitor intended for use in a 120 volt AC application, such as a motor start or motor run capacitor.
A motor START capacitor will be rated at close to the motor voltage. A motor RUN capacitor needs to be rated for about 1.8 times the motor voltage.

Likes sysprog
Baluncore said:
A motor START capacitor will be rated at close to the motor voltage. A motor RUN capacitor needs to be rated for about 1.8 times the motor voltage.
Why wouldn't that be the other way around?

jrmichler said:
To the OP: Your capacitor is clearly marked 250 VAC. That is the correct rating for a capacitor intended for use in a 120 volt AC application, such as a motor start or motor run capacitor. Posts #2 and #4 are correct.

To everybody who wants to be helpful: This thread is about motor capacitors. It is not a general thread on electrolytic capacitors. Please stay on topic. Also realize that the OP is clearly not an electrical engineer, so this is not an appropriate thread for EE jokes such as Post #3.
Sorry for the injudiciousness. Too much Christmas Eggnog!

Likes jrmichler and chemisttree
sysprog said:
Why wouldn't that be the other way around?
Maybe you can explain why you think I put it backwards.

The quick way to identify a run cap is from the higher voltage rating. I believe it is because with varying loads, the run capacitor can react with the winding inductance to generate higher voltages in the series circuit.

Likes DaveE
Baluncore said:
Maybe you can explain why you think I put it backwards.

The quick way to identify a run cap is from the higher voltage rating. I believe it is because with varying loads, the run capacitor can react with the winding inductance to generate higher voltages in the series circuit.
That makes sense to me ##-## I was thinking of initial current draw being greater on start ##-## 😌

phinds said:
Yes, it has been deprecated...

AZFIREBALL said:
Sorry for the injudiciousness. Too much Christmas Eggnog!
You should have included the [ humor ] [ /humor ] tags... :wink:

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and Keith_McClary
I know the theme here has been going back and forth from lighthearted comedy to some truth. For now I'd like to focus on the truth.

I have an A/C capacitor that has no markings regarding poles and that makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is when I reverse my multimeter test leads and get a different capacitance result.

I did notice a very light coating of oil on the exterior so I'm going to replace it although I don't see any evidence of protrusion or obvious leaking locations but am I right about getting the same result regardless of which lead is on which pole?

CityguyUSA said:
I know the theme here has been going back and forth from lighthearted comedy to some truth. For now I'd like to focus on the truth.

I have an A/C capacitor that has no markings regarding poles and that makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is when I reverse my multimeter test leads and get a different capacitance result.

I did notice a very light coating of oil on the exterior so I'm going to replace it although I don't see any evidence of protrusion or obvious leaking locations but am I right about getting the same result regardless of which lead is on which pole?
Tell us about your multimeter. I assume it has a capacitance measuring function? How much difference? What kind of capacitor?

The truth is out there... but it often requires some investigation. We aren't clairvoyant here.

But yes, theoretically there should be no polarity involved. I'm having a hard time imagining a failure mode that's polar.

There are circuits where you put two electrolytic caps back to back and pretend it's an AC cap. Which could have different values based on polarity. But I'm guessing you have a HV cap, like for a motor, where they wouldn't do that.

Last edited:
Of course now it's doing something different. lol This morning when I shorted the terms it read 504mfd which is what it should read. Then when I reversed the leads it was bouncing around at .9**. I wonder if I had the leads reversed initially if it would have read the same only with the reversed leads?

The cap is from a single-phase 1hp Delta (Marathon) motor. It's a York cap in an aluminum can with 2 terms incredibly hard to read. It's stamped maybe printed in black ink. SFS2450A14 0208 50 MFD 240VAC 50-60hz A-102060-3:1000AFC is what I think I read. It's a 115 volt setup so is this even the right cap or is that an upper limit on the voltage? The motor can be wired to 230v.

I just re-checked the reading the first time I got .9** and up and down and up and down but overtime dropping lower. I watched it drop to .79. When I switched the leads similarly .8** bouncing around but ultimately going lower I watched it drop into the .6**. My guess is going to 0? I switched the leads multiple times each time it seems to start lower at the lower end of the last reading.

This is the multimeter I used. Yes, it has capacitance and it's auto sensing. I haven't used it a whole lot so I don't know how accurate it is in reality but I have no reason to mistrust it anymore than anything else coming from Asia.
20230403_175447.jpg

Maybe your AC capacitor is effectively built out of two DC capacitors in series. One has aged faster than the other, or become leaky, so the total capacitance has become asymmetric.

When a functional electrolytic capacitor is biased with DC, it "learns" to become a better capacitor. One of the two series capacitors becoming leaky, would explain the asymmetry.

Likes Tom.G
Baluncore said:
Maybe your AC capacitor is effectively built out of two DC capacitors in series. One has aged faster than the other, or become leaky, so the total capacitance has become asymmetric.

When a functional electrolytic capacitor is biased with DC, it "learns" to become a better capacitor. One of the two series capacitors becoming leaky, would explain the asymmetry.
So it needs replaced but is this the right one for 115v/230v currrently wired for 115v?

CityguyUSA said:
So it needs replaced but is this the right one for 115v/230v currrently wired for 115v?
50μF is about the right value for a "motor start capacitor" on a single phase 1 HP motor. I guess your motor has a centrifugal switch that disconnects the start cap once running. Some motors also have a run capacitor.

Replace it with a 50μF, 230 VAC capacitor if you can find one. Otherwise, a lower voltage rating would also be OK for 115 VAC.

CityguyUSA said:
I have one more interesting tidbit of orienting axial foil capacitors. The outer electrode is marked. Not directly relevant here: more a high end tube amp issue.

Baluncore said:
50μF is about the right value for a "motor start capacitor" on a single phase 1 HP motor. I guess your motor has a centrifugal switch that disconnects the start cap once running. Some motors also have a run capacitor.

Replace it with a 50μF, 230 VAC capacitor if you can find one. Otherwise, a lower voltage rating would also be OK for 115 VAC.
I have 2 capacitors. I assumed this was the run capacitor because it was dogging while cutting but it seems to start ok. The other capacitor is 340-408 mfd 115v.

CityguyUSA said:
I have 2 capacitors. I assumed this was the run capacitor because it was dogging while cutting but it seems to start ok. The other capacitor is 340-408 mfd 115v.
You are probably right, the big one is the starter. The higher voltage is usually a run capacitor.
Replace the faulty capacitor.
If that does not fix it, trace out the wiring diagram, including the motor windings and centrifugal switch. Then we can analyse the problem more deeply.

Likes DaveE
Baluncore said:
You are probably right, the big one is the starter. The higher voltage is usually a run capacitor.
Replace the faulty capacitor.
If that does not fix it, trace out the wiring diagram, including the motor windings and centrifugal switch. Then we can analyse the problem more deeply.
Thanks

1. Why are my capacitor terminals not marked?

There could be several reasons why your capacitor terminals are not marked. One possibility is that the markings were accidentally removed or faded over time. Another possibility is that the capacitor is a non-polarized type, meaning it does not have designated positive and negative terminals. Lastly, some capacitors may have markings that are difficult to see, so you may need to look closely or use a magnifying glass to locate them.

2. How do I determine which terminal is positive and which is negative?

If your capacitor is polarized, the positive terminal is typically marked with a plus sign (+) or a longer terminal lead. The negative terminal may be marked with a minus sign (-) or a shorter terminal lead. If there are no markings, you can use a multimeter to test the terminals and determine which one has a higher voltage reading, which would be the positive terminal.

3. Can I use a capacitor with unmarked terminals?

If your capacitor is non-polarized, it does not matter which terminal you connect to positive or negative. However, if your capacitor is polarized and the markings are not visible, it is not recommended to use the capacitor as it may cause damage to your circuit or equipment. It is best to replace the capacitor with a properly marked one.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using a capacitor with unmarked terminals?

If your capacitor is polarized and you are unsure of the terminal markings, there is a risk of damaging your circuit or equipment if you connect it incorrectly. It is important to properly identify the terminals before use. Additionally, always make sure to discharge the capacitor before handling it to avoid any electrical shock.

5. How can I prevent the markings on my capacitor from fading?

To prevent the markings on your capacitor from fading, avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight. You can also use a clear nail polish to seal the markings and protect them from rubbing off. Additionally, handle the capacitor with care to avoid accidentally rubbing off the markings.