Why are Neanderthals not a race?

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Race
In summary, Scientists have proven that neanderthals and humans could have successfully mated, however, because it wasn't happening often, they were classified as a different species.
Calpalned
2) If Neanderthals and Early homo sapiens (Cro-

Magnon) could interbreed why are neanderthals considered a different

(sub)species and not simply a race?

Biology news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
The answer is in your question:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC532398/
... what have you done to try to answer your questions?

Actually I think that you quoted a bit outdated article, which does not include recent studies concerning mixing up between homo sapiens and Neanderthals:

http://www.livescience.com/42933-humans-carry-20-percent-neanderthal-genes.html

Which I consider as highly disrespectful for our Neanderthal ancestors :D

Simon Bridge said:
The answer is in your question:
Looking at the first post, I don't see where the answer to my question is. I stated that scientists proved that neanderthals and humans mated successfully. However, modern people of different races can mate successfully. Why then, are the neanderthals never classified as a race (in other words, as a member of our species - homo sapiens sapiens).

Race is not species.

Pythagorean said:
Race is not species.
That fact is true. Why are neanderthals called neanderthals and not homo sapiens sapiens?

Because they "speciated" from humans. Or at least were in the process of it. Speciation isn't a binary condition.

You might say that before speciation, a geographically isolated population is a race. Botanists use the word "variety" instead of race, I'm not sure what zoologists use to describe different varietes of, say, bear. I think race is exclusively a human term, but it appears analogous to "variety" in botany

I assume you could say that variarion is the first step to speciation, but I'm not an expert.

Calpalned said:
That fact is true. Why are neanderthals called neanderthals and not homo sapiens sapiens?

Because even though it was possible to mate, it wasn't happening often during millennia. So counted as "not mate under normal conditions". (lions and tigers could also have fertile offspring and it sometimes happens in circus, but we count them as separate species)

Yes, distinction is somewhat arbitrary.

Czcibor said:
Because even though it was possible to mate, it wasn't happening often during millennia. So counted as "not mate under normal conditions". (lions and tigers could also have fertile offspring and it sometimes happens in circus, but we count them as separate species)

Yes, distinction is somewhat arbitrary.
Thank you so much. I use to think that the production of fertile offspring automatically means that the two animals belong to the same species, but I forgot about ligers and the fact of whether or not such mating occurs in nature or only in captivity.

Related to Why are Neanderthals not a race?

1. Why are Neanderthals not considered a race?

Neanderthals are not considered a race because they are a distinct species of hominid that went extinct approximately 40,000 years ago. A race is defined as a group of people with shared physical traits, whereas Neanderthals have their own unique physical characteristics that differentiate them from modern humans.

2. Are Neanderthals and humans related?

Yes, Neanderthals and humans are related. They share a common ancestor and are both part of the Homo genus. However, Neanderthals are a separate species, while humans are Homo sapiens.

3. Did Neanderthals interbreed with humans?

Recent genetic evidence suggests that Neanderthals and humans did interbreed, with modern humans of non-African descent having about 2% Neanderthal DNA. This suggests that there was some level of genetic exchange between the two species.

4. What caused the extinction of Neanderthals?

The exact cause of Neanderthals' extinction is still debated among scientists. Some theories include competition and conflict with modern humans, climate change, or a combination of factors. It is also possible that interbreeding with humans led to the absorption of Neanderthal genes into the human population, ultimately leading to their disappearance as a distinct species.

5. Why do we still have Neanderthal DNA if they went extinct?

While Neanderthals as a species may have gone extinct, their DNA can still be found in some modern humans through interbreeding. This suggests that there was some level of genetic compatibility and exchange between the two species, allowing Neanderthal genes to be passed down through generations.