Why are we only considering the first eigenfrequencies?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of eigenfrequencies in technical devices and how they can affect the design and operation of a system. The first question concerns why the first eigenfunctions typically have the highest amplitudes, while the second question is about the significance of suppressing the first eigenfrequencies in technical devices. The speaker also mentions the higher energy of higher modes and the criteria of "time to double" in determining the importance of eigenfrequencies.
snejburg
Hey,

I have a question concerning eigenfrequencies:

Let us assume we examine a beam that is fixed at one end and free at the other end. It is possible to get an analytical solution in form of a unlimtied series: sum_i=1..infinity eigenfunction(i)*exp(i*eigenfrequencie(i)*t). (something close to that).

My question is first: Why do usually the first eigenfunctions have the highest amplitudes?
and second: Why is it in technical devices most important to supress the first eigenfrequencies?

I know that it has something to do with the higher energy of the higher modes but why do they have higher energy? And why is it apparently not dangerous to excite higher eigenfrequencies?

Thanks a lot for your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
I disagree with your conclusion that the lowest frequency is always the most important, highest amplitude, one. You may be looking at examples that have already been ordered so that the "first" frequency is the highest amplitude frequency.

Often the lowest frequency is so slow that it doesn't require design changes. An operator may correct for a low frequency oscillation without even thinking about it -- even if the uncontrolled amplitude is large.
One criteria that is often used is "time to double". That tells you how quickly a behavior needs to be corrected. That can be more significant than simple amplitude.

1. Why are eigenfrequencies important in scientific research?

Eigenfrequencies are important in scientific research because they represent the natural frequencies at which a system or structure will naturally vibrate. This information can be applied to a variety of fields, such as engineering, physics, and chemistry, to better understand the behavior and properties of different systems.

2. What is the significance of only considering the first eigenfrequency?

The first eigenfrequency, also known as the fundamental frequency, is the lowest natural frequency of a system. It is significant because it represents the most basic and essential characteristic of the system, and understanding it can provide valuable insights into its overall behavior and properties.

3. How are eigenfrequencies calculated and measured?

Eigenfrequencies are calculated using mathematical equations and numerical methods, such as finite element analysis. They can also be measured experimentally using techniques such as modal analysis, which involves exciting the system at different frequencies and measuring its response.

4. Can eigenfrequencies change over time?

Yes, eigenfrequencies can change over time due to various factors such as external loads, temperature changes, and structural damage. This is why it is important for scientists to continuously monitor and analyze eigenfrequencies to ensure the stability and integrity of a system.

5. Are there any limitations to only considering the first eigenfrequency?

While the first eigenfrequency is important and provides valuable information, it is not the only eigenfrequency that should be considered in scientific research. Higher eigenfrequencies can also play a significant role in the behavior and properties of a system, and should be taken into account for a more thorough understanding.