Why Aren't Splitting Patterns & Integrations for Red & Blue Protons Different?

In summary, the splitting patterns and integrations for the red and blue set of protons in the compound above are not "pentet, 6 H" and "octet, 4 H", respectively because the number of chemically-equivalent protons on each carbon gives a different number of splitting patterns and integrations that are not in the pentet and octet range.
MermaidWonders
View attachment 8839

For the colourfully-annotated compound above, why aren't the splitting patterns and integrations for the red and blue set of protons "pentet, 6 H" and "octet, 4 H", respectively?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 16.25.08.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 16.25.08.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 62
Mathematics news on Phys.org
MermaidWonders said:
For the colourfully-annotated compound above, why aren't the splitting patterns and integrations for the red and blue set of protons "pentet, 6 H" and "octet, 4 H", respectively?

Never mind. I see why.

MermaidWonders said:
Never mind. I see why.
I'm curious. Would you be willing to share your solution?

-Dan

topsquark said:
I'm curious. Would you be willing to share your solution?

-Dan

Hi,

Sorry for the super late reply. Just saw this.

When I first came across that question, I was very confused as to why my professor had put "6 H, t" and "4 H, quintet" for the splitting patterns and peak integrations for the red and blue set of protons, respectively (as in the screenshot), so I tried to look at that question in a "different" way. If we start by looking at the red protons branching out from either of the 2 carbons, we see that there are 2 protons coming off of the adjacent carbon (whether you are looking at the top or bottom adjacent carbon). Because all 6 of the red protons are chemically-equivalent, it makes sense for the splitting pattern to be a triplet according to the n + 1 rule, where n = 2 for the adjacent C. Next, if we look at the blue set of protons, we are in a similar situation. All 4 of the blue protons are chemically-equivalent, and a quintet splitting pattern comes from the fact that the "top" OR "bottom" adjacent C (the C's with red protons branching off of it) gives n = 3 AND the other adjacent C (the one with a green proton branching off of it) gives n = 1, so together, n + 1 = 4 + 1 = 5 --> quintet.

Hope what I said sort of makes sense. I'm really no expert in organic chemistry myself, but at least this is the process I had to go through to understand that solution! :(

1. Why do red and blue protons have different splitting patterns and integrations?

The splitting patterns and integrations of protons are determined by the chemical environment they are in. Red and blue protons have different chemical environments, which results in their different splitting patterns and integrations.

2. How do the chemical environments affect the splitting patterns and integrations of protons?

The chemical environment of a proton refers to the atoms and molecules surrounding it. These neighboring atoms and molecules can cause different levels of shielding or deshielding of the proton, leading to variations in its splitting and integration in an NMR spectrum.

3. Can the splitting patterns and integrations of red and blue protons be predicted?

Yes, the splitting patterns and integrations of protons can be predicted using NMR spectroscopy. By analyzing the chemical shifts and coupling constants of the protons, the chemical environment and resulting splitting patterns and integrations can be determined.

4. Are there any other factors that can influence the splitting patterns and integrations of protons?

Yes, besides the chemical environment, factors such as temperature, solvent, and concentration can also affect the splitting patterns and integrations of protons. These variables can alter the chemical environment and thus impact the NMR spectrum.

5. How can understanding splitting patterns and integrations of protons be useful in scientific research?

Splitting patterns and integrations of protons can provide valuable information about the molecular structure and chemical properties of a substance. This information can be used in various fields such as organic chemistry, biochemistry, and pharmaceutical research to identify and analyze compounds.