Why body A has greater acceleration?

Iamconfused123
Homework Statement
question is which body A has greater acceleration?
Relevant Equations
F=ma
Apparently body A has greater acceleration and I don't get why. Can someone please explain.

It's stated to take g=10/s^2.
Both bodies have same mass.
Nothing about rope elasticity is added, and nothing about the pulley. So I assumed they are both massless, and no friction between them.
Also, the table surface is frictionless.
Thank you
pf.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The pulley and string may be massless, but the 1 kg mass is definitely not massless!

Likes Iamconfused123
yeah but, 1kg×10m/s^2=10N so both forces are the same, masses the same, thus accelerations are the same

Iamconfused123 said:
yeah but, 1kg×10m/s^2=10N so both forces are the same, masses the same, thus accelerations are the same
No, they are not. If the tension in the string were 10 N then the net force on the 1 kg mass would be zero and it would not accelerate.

Likes Iamconfused123
Iamconfused123 said:
Yeah but, the 1 kg mass is not massless.

Likes Iamconfused123
Orodruin said:
No, they are not. If the tension in the string were 10 N then the net force on the 1 kg mass would be zero and it would not accelerate.
But the bodies(A and B) are not connected, if that is what you are saying.

Iamconfused123 said:
But the bodies(A and B) are not connected, if that is what you are saying.
The 1kg mass is connected to B.

Likes Iamconfused123
PeroK said:
The 1kg mass is connected to B.
Okay, but why does that matter? 1kg is falling with 10N pulling B with 10 N, same force as the hand is pulling A

Iamconfused123 said:
Okay, but why does that matter?
It;s fundamental.
Iamconfused123 said:
1kg is falling with 10N
What does that mean?
Iamconfused123 said:
pulling B with 10 N, same force as the hand is pulling A
Is it? What about Newton's third law? If the 1 kg mass pulls B with a force of 10N, then B pulls the 1kg mass with an opposite force of 10N, and the 1kg won't move, as it has a zero net force acting on it.

Likes Iamconfused123
May I suggest drawing free body diagrams of each mass ( A,B, and 1kg) for us to examine together?

Likes Iamconfused123
ohh. I figured. How stupid am I :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Thanks everyone. :bow:

Likes PeroK
erobz said:
May I suggest drawing free body diagrams of each mass ( A,B, and 1kg) for us to examine together?
Like, I never draw those. And the best thing is that I have solved whole bunch of problems with like these, but they were like, calculate acceleration. I did take a brake from physics for 2 weeks or so, but still, like I knew how to do these problems. Is it normal for people to forget that fast?

Iamconfused123 said:
ohh. I figured. How stupid am I :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:
It's not that big a deal. It's tricky like that on purpose. Thats why its important to draw a FBD, because it becomes apparent when to "see" the forces.

Likes Iamconfused123

1. Why does body A have greater acceleration than body B?

Body A may have greater acceleration than body B due to differences in mass, force applied, or the presence of external factors such as friction or air resistance.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration?

The mass of an object affects its acceleration according to Newton's second law of motion, which states that acceleration is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

3. What role does the force applied play in determining acceleration?

The force applied to an object determines its acceleration, as a greater force will result in a greater acceleration, while a smaller force will result in a smaller acceleration, assuming mass remains constant.

4. How do external factors like friction and air resistance affect acceleration?

External factors such as friction and air resistance can decrease acceleration by opposing the motion of an object. The greater the friction or air resistance, the slower the acceleration of the object will be.

5. Can acceleration be increased by reducing mass or external factors?

Acceleration can be increased by reducing the mass of an object or minimizing external factors such as friction or air resistance. By decreasing resistance to motion, the acceleration of the object can be improved.