Why can't I saturate this transistor?

• Thread starter amenhotep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary, the transistor is near saturation and a higher base current will not increase the collector current.
amenhotep
Hi,
I started using Proteus Isis and was playing around just to get used to it. I designed a simple transistor circuit that should work in the saturated region. The LED needs 2.3V. For saturation, the collector and emitter terminals should be shorted or have a tiny voltage drop across it. So, since the LED requires 20mA, I calculated that the series resistance should be around 139. The BC547 transistor has a dc gain around 110 at that current. This means that a base current of 0.2mA or more should should be enough to saturate the transistor. The circuit is shown below. Whatever base current I used, ##V_{CE}## didn't get below 0.2V which indicates a transistor is near saturation. I've cross-checked values from the datasheet. Surely, something is terribly wrong !

2zsa051.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi you
welcome to PF

why have you got all your meters in AC mode when they are in a DC circuit
Im not familiar with the inner working of Proteus, but maybe that's why you are getting oddball readings ?

Dave

davenn said:
hi you
welcome to PF

why have you got all your meters in AC mode when they are in a DC circuit
Im not familiar with the inner working of Proteus, but maybe that's why you are getting oddball readings ?

Dave

Thanks for the welcoming. I actually didn't notice that I was using the meters in the AC mode. I changed them to DC and the values were the same. Is something wrong with the circuit ?

23jg5xe.png

Try increasing R1 to about 1kohm

I've done all that. The current becomes so small that the LED turns OFF.

Try increasing the collector supply to 12 volts

amenhotep said:
I've done all that. The current becomes so small that the LED turns OFF.

yup that sounds about right for a 5V supply and ~ 20mA through the LED with a ~ 2V drop
200 Ohms give or take a bit is ok

the BC547 is going to turn on at ~ 0.6 - 0.7V and the 0.54 Vdrop across the C-E is indicating that its currently turned on.

the definition of saturation as in your common emitter case is ...

As base current increases the collector current increases to a point where any more base current will not increases the collector current at that point the transistor is saturated whereby current may flow in both direction and the two diodes will essentially be in a parallel mode and the voltage drop from emitter to collector will reflect the status as a low voltage drop.

as far as I can see, that's what is happening in your circuit

Last edited:
You also need to understand that the C-E Vdrop is not a fixed value at saturation ie. is isn't 0.2V and only 0.2V
it is dependant on the base drive, the higher the drive the higher the C-E Vdrop value at onset of saturation

cheers
Dave

I'd suggest building one from real parts. Your simulation's accuracy is at the mercy of a programmer someplace.

I looked for information on Proteus' parts library, to no avail.
However the BC547 is allowed (per a Fairchild datasheet at http://www.elektronik-kompendium.de/public/schaerer/FILES/bc550.pdf )
Vce as much as 600 millivolts at 100ma and 250 millivolts at 10 ma .
You're operating it in an area between those limits.

BC547 is a high voltage version of that transistor, 50 volt, so probably has a stout collector.
Try swapping it for a 30 volt BC548 and see if the program calculates any differently.
Then try a 65 volt BC546.

It's really educational to poke at things and learn their nuances..

old jim

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
I'd suggest building one from real parts. Your simulation's accuracy is at the mercy of a programmer someplace.

I looked for information on Proteus' parts library, to no avail.
However the BC547 is allowed (per a Fairchild datasheet at http://www.elektronik-kompendium.de/public/schaerer/FILES/bc550.pdf )
Vce as much as 600 millivolts at 100ma and 250 millivolts at 10 ma .
You're operating it in an area between those limits.

BC547 is a high voltage version of that transistor, 50 volt, so probably has a stout collector.
Try swapping it for a 30 volt BC548 and see if the program calculates any differently.
Then try a 65 volt BC546.

It's really educational to poke at things and learn their nuances..

old jim

Thanks Jim. Tried different NPNs but can't bring VCE down enough.

amenhotep said:
Thanks Jim. Tried different NPNs but can't bring VCE down enough.

Hmmmm ... one wonders what the Proteus program assumes about that transistor. Any details provided about that ?

I do notice Fairchild specifies Vcesat with Ic = 20Ib.
Fairchild's graph, figure 3 specifies Ic = 10Ib .
You're at 15.
Oughta work just fine.
How's your Vbe look compared to the datasheet ?

Poke at that simulation program a bit more... find its limits.

1. Why is my transistor not saturating?

There could be several reasons why your transistor is not saturating. It could be due to incorrect biasing, insufficient base current, or a damaged transistor. It is important to check your circuit and make sure all connections are correct and the transistor is functioning properly.

2. How can I determine the saturation voltage of a transistor?

The saturation voltage of a transistor can be determined by looking at its datasheet or by using a multi-meter to measure the voltage across the collector and emitter when the transistor is fully saturated. It is typically around 0.2-0.3V for a standard transistor.

3. Can a transistor be saturated in both forward and reverse bias?

No, a transistor can only be saturated in forward bias. In reverse bias, the depletion region widens and limits the flow of current, preventing saturation.

4. What is the purpose of saturating a transistor?

Saturating a transistor allows it to operate as an on/off switch, where it acts as a closed switch in saturation and an open switch in cutoff. This is useful in digital circuits, as well as in amplifiers to achieve maximum output voltage.

5. How can I increase the saturation current of a transistor?

The saturation current of a transistor can be increased by increasing the base current, using a transistor with a higher current handling capability, or by using multiple transistors in parallel to share the load. However, it is important to stay within the maximum ratings of the transistor to avoid damaging it.