Why can't I show Newton's Third Law by different means?

In summary, a system consisting of a small mass (1 kg) and a larger mass (3 kg) are subject to a 5 N force pushing from left to right and a 3 N force pushing from right to left. When determining the net force on the larger block, it is incorrect to solve for F_21 first, and the correct answer is actually 1.5 N. Solving for F_12 first and using the fact that F_12 = -F_21 is the correct approach. Additionally, the force on block one is correctly written as F_1 = F_right - F_21 = m1*a and the force on block two is F_2 = F_12 - F_left = m
UseAsDirected

Homework Statement

A small mass (1 kg) sits next to a larger mass (3 kg) on a table. A force of 5 Newtons pushes from left to right on the system while a force of 3 Newtons pushes from right to left on the system. Am I justified to conclude that the net force on the larger block has magnitude 2 Newtons?

Homework Equations

Why can't I get the same answer when I solve separately the force of block two onto block one (the larger onto the smaller)? I get the answer when I solve for F_12 and then state that F_21 is - F_12 by Newton's Third Law. But, why can't I do the reverse, F_21 solved first? Why do I get two separate answers?

The Attempt at a Solution

I correctly answer that the answer is no. In fact, the force on block two (the larger block) is actually 1.5 Newtons. First, I treat the whole as a single system to get the acceleration, which is

a = (F_right - F_left) / (m1 + m2) = 0.5 m/s^2

I then solve for the force of block one onto block two to get

F_12 = m2*a = [ m2 / (m1 + m2) ] * (F_right - F_left) = 1.5 Newtons (this is the answer)

To get the force of block 2 onto block one, I simply chant that because they are an interaction pair,

F_12 = - F_21.

[Onion]. BUT, if I start the problem solving for the force of block two onto block one, F21, I cannot get the answer. Actually, I get that the F_21 = 0.5 Newtons. This does not make any sense.

F_21 = m1*a = [ m1 / (m1 + m2) ] * (F_right - F_left) = 0.5 Newtons ? (why isn't it 1.5 N?)

My point is that I only get the right answer when I do it one way. When I try different ways to reinforce that I understand, being mathematically poetic, I quickly hit the skids.

Thank you and looking forward to see where I went wrong.Sidenote

Is it correct for me to write that the force on block one is

F_1 = F_right - F_21 = m1*a ?

and that that force on block two is

F_2 = F_12 - F_left = m2*a ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which mass is left, which one is right?
UseAsDirected said:
F_12 = m2*a
This is not correct, as F_12 is not the only force acting on mass 2. There is another one.
The other derivation has the same issue, so you get two wrong answers.

UseAsDirected said:
Is it correct for me to write that the force on block one is

F_1 = F_right - F_21 = m1*a ?

and that that force on block two is

F_2 = F_12 - F_left = m2*a ?
That is a better approach and it should lead to a correct answer.

Hello,

Block one is the left block and block two sits to its right. Do you mean that this is wrong, too? 'F_12 = m2*a = [ m2 / (m1 + m2) ] * (F_right - F_left) = 1.5 Newtons. ' 1.5 Newtons is the solution at the back of the book.

Thanks.

1.5 N is certainly not the force between the blocks.
An easy cross-check: the right, heavy block has a force of 3 N towards the left side and the force |F_12| in the opposite direction. It is accelerating to the right. Clearly |F_12| has to be larger than 3 N.

Yes, but there is also a force of 5 Newtons pushing to the right (on block one side). The 3 Newton force is pushing leftward on block two.

Sure, the 5 N force makes sure that the block accelerates to the right. Details are not relevant for the argument that the mutual force between the blocks has to exceed 3 N.

1. Why is it important to demonstrate Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law, also known as the law of action and reaction, is a fundamental principle in physics that explains the relationship between forces acting on two objects. By demonstrating this law, we can better understand how objects interact with each other and how forces affect their motion. It also has many practical applications in fields such as engineering and mechanics.

2. Can Newton's Third Law be demonstrated using magnets?

Yes, Newton's Third Law can be demonstrated using magnets. When two magnets are brought close together, they will either attract or repel each other. This is because the magnets exert equal and opposite forces on each other, in accordance with Newton's Third Law.

3. How can I demonstrate Newton's Third Law without using objects in motion?

One way to demonstrate Newton's Third Law without using objects in motion is by using a spring scale. When you pull on a spring scale, it will stretch or compress in response to the force you are exerting on it. This is due to the equal and opposite forces acting on the scale and your hand, as per Newton's Third Law.

4. Is it possible to demonstrate Newton's Third Law using air or water?

Yes, it is possible to demonstrate Newton's Third Law using air or water. For example, when you blow air into a balloon, the air inside the balloon exerts a force on the walls of the balloon, causing it to expand. This is due to the equal and opposite forces acting on the air and the balloon, as explained by Newton's Third Law.

5. Can Newton's Third Law be demonstrated in outer space?

Yes, Newton's Third Law can be demonstrated in outer space. In fact, it was first observed by Sir Isaac Newton in his study of the motion of planets and other celestial bodies. For example, the gravitational pull of the Sun on the Earth is equal and opposite to the gravitational pull of the Earth on the Sun, as per Newton's Third Law.