Why can't quantitative values be computed using DSC-MRI?

In summary, DCE-MRI and DSC-MRI both use contrast agents to measure changes in signal in an artery and tissue, but DCE-MRI allows for the calculation of quantitative values for hemodynamic parameters using tracer kinetic models. DSC-MRI, on the other hand, only provides relative values and does not use tracer kinetic models. This is due to the time sensitivity of DSC-MRI, which can be corrected for using certain methods. This article provides more information on using kinetic tracer models with DSC-MRI data.
phys-student
I am studying for a comprehensive exam on dynamic contrast enhanced MRI (DCE-MRI) and questions have come up in my practice talks about dynamic susceptibility contrast MRI (DSC-MRI).

In DCE-MRI changes in signal in an artery and the tissue are converted to contrast agent concentration vs time curves, and tracer kinetic models can be applied to those curves to compute quantitative values for Ktrans, kep, vp, ve, etc. On the other hand, when I read about DSC-MRI, which works in a similar way except using T2* weighted signal instead of T1 weighted it usually says that only relative values can be calculated and they never talk about tracer kinetic modelling. Why does it seem like DSC-MRI is incapable of providing quantitative estimates of hemodynamic parameters? Why can't tracer kinetic models be applied to DSC-MRI data?

I don't need a complicated in depth answer since DSC-MRI is not the main topic for my exam, I just need a quick explanation so that I don't sound stupid when the inevitable question comparing the two methods comes up.

Biology news on Phys.org

1. Why can't quantitative values be computed using DSC-MRI?

Quantitative values cannot be computed using DSC-MRI because this imaging technique is based on contrast agent dynamics, which can be affected by various factors such as blood flow, capillary permeability, and tissue heterogeneity. These factors make it difficult to accurately measure and quantify changes in contrast agent concentration over time.

2. Can't DSC-MRI be used to measure changes in blood flow?

While DSC-MRI can provide qualitative information about blood flow, it is not a reliable method for quantifying blood flow due to the factors mentioned above. Other imaging techniques, such as arterial spin labeling (ASL), are better suited for measuring blood flow in a quantitative manner.

3. Is DSC-MRI a reliable method for detecting small changes in tissue perfusion?

No, DSC-MRI is not an ideal method for detecting small changes in tissue perfusion. Its sensitivity is limited by factors such as the presence of noise in the images, the timing of contrast agent injection, and the accuracy of the arterial input function (AIF) used in the analysis.

4. What are some limitations of using DSC-MRI for perfusion imaging?

Some limitations of using DSC-MRI for perfusion imaging include the inability to accurately quantify changes in contrast agent concentration, sensitivity to motion artifacts, and the need for careful selection and placement of the region of interest (ROI) for analysis. Additionally, DSC-MRI is not suitable for imaging certain organs such as the lungs and the liver due to their high blood flow and susceptibility to motion.

5. Can DSC-MRI be used for longitudinal studies of perfusion?

While DSC-MRI can be used for longitudinal studies, it is important to note that the results may not be comparable between time points due to variations in the factors that can affect contrast agent dynamics. This can make it difficult to accurately track changes in perfusion over time using DSC-MRI.