Why Can't the Voltage at a PN Junction be Measured from the Outside?

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions regarding semiconductors. The first question is why the voltage generated by diffusion at a PN junction cannot be measured from the outside. The second question asks where the additional energy comes from for charge carriers to flow from the basis to the collector when Uce < Ube.
DanielHuber
I am having a hard time to find answers to 2 simple questions regarding semiconductors.

Firts, at a PN junction diffusion creates a potential step. Why can this voltage not been measured from the outside. The schoolbook answer is, that there are diffusion potential at the wire connections, that exactly cancels the PN voltage. Can anybody explain what causes this diffusion potential and why it exactly cancels the PN voltage.

Second, I think I understand how a transistor works as long as Uce > Ube. However, I have a problem when Uce < Ube. In a reisistor network, the current would reverse. Not so in a transistor. If Ucb changes sign (for small Ucb), the current becomes smaller, but does not reverse sign yet. That means that the charge carriers need additional energy to flow from the basis to the collector. Where does this energy come from? Thermal motion?

cheers, Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
DanielHuber said:
Firts, at a PN junction diffusion creates a potential step. Why can this voltage not been measured from the outside.
I have also been asking myself this question and have not found an answer.
After all, to measure a potential difference you do not need necessarily to contact the ends of the junction. I mean, you can measure the electric field directly.

What is a PN junction?

A PN junction is a type of semiconductor junction formed by the meeting of a P-type semiconductor (which has an excess of positively charged holes) and an N-type semiconductor (which has an excess of negatively charged electrons). This junction allows for the flow of electric current in one direction, making it a fundamental component in electronic devices.

How does a PN junction work?

A PN junction works by creating a depletion region between the P-type and N-type semiconductors. This region is depleted of free charge carriers, making it an insulator. However, when a voltage is applied across the junction, the depletion region becomes thinner and allows for the flow of current. This process is known as forward biasing. In reverse biasing, the depletion region becomes wider and prevents the flow of current.

What is a transistor?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that can amplify or switch electronic signals. It is made up of three layers of semiconductor material, two of which form a PN junction. By controlling the flow of current through one junction, the transistor can amplify or switch the current flowing through the other junction.

What are the different types of transistors?

There are two main types of transistors: bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) and field-effect transistors (FETs). BJTs have three regions of doped semiconductor material, while FETs have two regions. Within these types, there are also different configurations such as NPN and PNP for BJTs, and MOSFET and JFET for FETs.

What are the applications of PN junctions and transistors?

PN junctions and transistors have a wide range of applications in electronic devices. They are essential components in amplifiers, switches, and digital logic circuits. They are also used in power supplies, voltage regulators, and radio frequency circuits. Additionally, PN junctions are used in solar cells to convert sunlight into electricity.