Why choose /100 over x100?Why Divide by 100 when solving decibels?

In summary, the solution to this question involves understanding that a decrease of 20 decibels is equivalent to a decrease in intensity by a factor of 100. To find the decrease in observed intensity, we can use the formula 20 = 10log_{10}(\frac{I}{I_0}) and solve for I. This results in an observed intensity that is 1/100 times the original intensity, leading to a decrease of 198 Watts per meter squared. This may seem different from the method of directly subtracting 20 decibels from the original intensity, but it is based on the relationship between decibel changes and intensity changes.
silversurf
I'm having difficulty understanding the solution to this question. "A source creates a sound that is observed at 200 Watts per meter squared. If the intensity level of the observed sound decreases by 20 decibels what is the decrease in observed intensity?

The way I solved it was I saw 20 decibels as a decrease in intensity of 100 so I subtracted 100 from 200 to get 100 Watts per meter squared but the solution divides 200 by 100 and then subtracts this from the original number: 200 - 2 = 198. Why do they solve it like this and not the way I did?

Physics news on Phys.org
silversurf said:
I'm having difficulty understanding the solution to this question. "A source creates a sound that is observed at 200 Watts per meter squared. If the intensity level of the observed sound decreases by 20 decibels what is the decrease in observed intensity?

The way I solved it was I saw 20 decibels as a decrease in intensity of 100 so I subtracted 100 from 200 to get 100 Watts per meter squared but the solution divides 200 by 100 and then subtracts this from the original number: 200 - 2 = 198. Why do they solve it like this and not the way I did?

Hi silversuf, 20dB is a decrease in intensity of 100 times. Therefore, the intensity level of the observed sound is 1/100 times that of the original sound.
[itex]20(dB)=-10~log_{10} \frac{I_{new}}{I_{original}}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{I_{new}}{I_{original}}=10^{-2}[/itex]
[itex]I_{new}=10^{-2} I_{original}=10^{-2} \times 200 W/m^2=2W/m^2[/itex]
Hence the decrease in observed intensity [itex]= (200-2) W/m^2 =198W/m^2[/itex]

Likes 1 person
Good day,

The sound level in decibels is

[itex]β = 10log_{10}(\frac{I}{I_0})[/itex]

Where beta is measured n decibels, [itex]I[/itex] the intensity in question and [itex]I_0[/itex] is the reference intensity. Since you have a decrease of 20 decibels in your reference intensity (the source), you may re-write the above equation as

[itex]20 = 10log_{10}(I_{0}) - 10log_{10}(I)[/itex]

multiplying by -1 in both sides of the equation and using the laws of logarithms,

[itex]-20 = 10log_{10}(\frac{I}{I_0})[/itex]

the -20 can be thought of as [itex]-β[/itex] in the above expression, indicating that this is a decrease in sound level with respect to the reference intensity. For solving the difference in the observed intensity, you will have to solve for [itex]I[/itex] and subtract this number from the reference intensity.

P.S. I think this post should be in the Homework & Coursework Questions area.

Cheers.

Likes 1 person
Thank you both so much!

silversurf said:

To get a feel for a question like this I rely on a couple of reference examples.

Halving or doubling the intensity means a 3 dB change (halving -3dB, doubling +3dB)
This is supposedly the smallest change the average human can notice - meaning that if the sound level went from 90dB to 91dB not many people would notice apparently

Changing the intensity by a factor of 10 means a change of 10dB - I just like that both figures are 10, the only time the factor change in Intensity = the dB change in Sound level.

To get a 20dB change, you just have to have a 10dB change, then a second 10dB change.

The first means the intensity is down by a factor of 10 (from 200 to 20) and the second means another factor of 10 (from 20 to 2)

SO the intensity has changed from 200 to 2 ; a change of 198.

Perhaps more simply: dB changes are additions and subtractions, intensity changes a factor changes.

so 20dB change was +20dB or -20dB, The intensity change of 100 was x100 or /100.

Likes 1 person

What is intensity?

Intensity is a measure of the amount of energy in a sound wave. It is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m^2).

How is intensity related to decibels?

Decibels (dB) are a unit used to measure the intensity of sound. Intensity is directly proportional to the square of the sound's pressure amplitude, so decibels are calculated using a logarithmic scale to better represent the wide range of sound intensities that humans can hear.

What is the difference between sound intensity and sound pressure?

Sound intensity is a measure of the amount of energy in a sound wave, while sound pressure is a measure of the force that the sound wave exerts on a surface. They are related, but not the same measurement.

Can intensity and decibels be used to compare different types of sound waves?

Yes, intensity and decibels can be used to compare the loudness of different types of sound waves. However, it is important to note that these measurements are not the only factors that determine how loud a sound may be perceived, as factors such as frequency and distance also play a role.

What is the threshold for human hearing in terms of intensity and decibels?

The threshold for human hearing is typically around 0 dB and 10^-12 W/m^2. This means that a sound with an intensity of 0 dB and 10^-12 W/m^2 will be the minimum level that a person with normal hearing can detect.