Why did you choose your avatar?

• Thread starter lekh2003
  • Start date
In summary, some users chose their avatar because it reflects their interests, while others chose it because it looks similar to them when they were younger.
lekh2003
Gold Member
Hello everyone. I just wanted to know why all the users here on the forum chose their preferred avatar. Some are quite interesting and I want to know how the members were inspired to chose what they did.

I'll start: my avatar is of Rick pulling Morty to go for a mission, from the Sci-fi Comedy TV Series "Rick and Morty". I thought it would be applicable to the forum, and I love the show as well.

Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
Chose my current one because of my recent interests in technology and hacking.
android-.jpg

Attachments

• android-.jpg
    android-.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 426
Likes lekh2003
Evo chose mine for me, as I am wolram she chose a ram:biggrin:

Likes Evo and AlexCaledin
I choose mine because it is a picture I took of a larval (baby) fish that I like.
Due to accidents of the lighting set-up, it looks like a phase contrast image from a microscope.
I also like microscopes and the lighting involved with them as well as fish and larval fish.

Likes lekh2003 and AlexCaledin
BillTre said:
I choose mine because it is a picture I took of a larval (baby) fish that I like.
Due to accidents of the lighting set-up, it looks like a phase contrast image from a microscope.
I also like microscopes and the lighting involved with them as well as fish and larval fish.
What type of fish? I have a tankful but have never bred them.

Mine is pretty straight forward, it is a "self-portrait" in the form of a 3-D mesh created in Blender.
As Greg recently pointed out, my original was no longer quite accurate as my beard has grayed significantly since I created it.
This thread prompted me to see it I still had the original model to modify. I didn't have the original mesh as it was a couple of computers ago, but I still had the Pov-Ray file I had converted it to. This at least allowed me to adjust the coloring to be more up to date.)

Likes lekh2003
That is a larval Devario annandalei (similar to but different from a Giant Danio). They are closely related to Danios (like zebrafish).
They are egg scatters and actually fairly easy to breed.

I used to breed Danios and sell their eggs to labs that could not efficiently breed them.

What kind of fish do you have?

Likes lekh2003
BillTre said:
That is a larval Devario annandalei (similar to but different from a Giant Danio). They are closely related to Danios (like zebrafish).
They are egg scatters and actually fairly easy to breed.

I used to breed Danios and sell their eggs to labs that could not efficiently breed them.

What kind of fish do you have?
Cool! I've never kept danios myself, but I'm familiar with them. Right now I have an angel, three loaches (Botia almorhae), a couple of Ancistrus, and a handful of glowlight tetras.

I should correct my statement to say that I've never bred fish intentionally. My first tank featured three mollies... you can fill in the blanks. :biggrin:

Livebearers count too!

Angles are easy to breed with t he proper tank set-up.
Some tetras are difficult to raise after bred.
Never tried loaches.

My avatar looks just like me when I was in my late teens, plus I love that period in time.

Likes AlexCaledin
strangerep said:
why quantum systems in the real world are non-deterministic

Why, because in the beginning the potentiality for everything ("good and evil") was created.

What's happening next, ever since, it's (the process of) reduction of the primordial potentiality.

(Note: Potential dinosaurs got reduced straight into their actual fossils:smile: )

Last edited:
AlexCaledin said:
Why, because in the beginning the potentiality for everything ("good and evil") was created.
Hmm, so spin +1/2 and -1/2 correspond to good and evil? And if I perform a spatial rotation, good and evil get interchanged? Yes, that would explain a lot.

And... oh yes of course! Good and evil are relative to the observer, aren't they? So that lines up quite well with Rovelli's Relational QM!

o0)

I love Darth Vader.

Who doesn't like penguins?

Likes AlexCaledin
opus said:
Who doesn't like penguins?

Describe penguins.

rapture.gif

Attachments

• rapture.gif
    rapture.gif
    2 MB · Views: 604
Likes paulo84 and opus

1. Why did you choose your avatar?

I chose my avatar because it represents my love for space and science. The astronaut symbolizes exploration and discovery, which are important values in my field of study.

2. Does your avatar have any special meaning?

Yes, my avatar has a special meaning to me. It represents my passion for understanding the unknown and pushing the boundaries of human knowledge.

3. Did you design your avatar yourself?

No, I did not design my avatar myself. I found it online and felt that it perfectly captured my interests and personality.

4. Is there a reason you chose an astronaut as your avatar?

As a scientist, I am constantly inspired by the achievements of astronauts and their contributions to space exploration. I wanted my avatar to reflect this admiration and my own aspirations.

5. Would you ever change your avatar in the future?

Possibly, if I come across an avatar that better represents who I am or if my interests and passions change. But for now, I am happy with my current avatar and its meaning to me.