Why didn't flash freezing make the polycaprolactone plastic brittle?

In summary, a parent is working on a science fair project with their child involving the mobility of polymer chains. They attempted to use instamorph, a polycaprolactone with a glass transition temperature of -60 celcius, to demonstrate how plastic becomes brittle when flash frozen. However, after dipping the plastic in a cooling bath of dry ice and isopropyl alcohol, the plastic did not become brittle as expected. The parent is wondering why this happened and how they can make the plastic brittle.
R_Lee
Hello, I am working on a science fair project with my son. His project is about the mobility of polymer chains depending on temperature and pressure. As part of his project we want to flash freeze a piece of plastic to show how brittle it becomes. We bought instamorph, which is polycaprolactone. It has a glass transition temperature of -60 celcius. Next, I bought some dry ice, put it in a plastic bottle and poured 99 percent isopropyl alcohol into it to create a cooling bath. This cooling bath should be about -77 celcius right? Lower than the glass transition temperature. So then I dipped the piece of plastic into the bath, held it there for about 30 seconds and pulled it out. I tried to smash it to test the brittleness but it didnt break. It felt the same, but just cold. Why is that? And how can I make it brittle?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
"Glass transition" does not mean that a material becomes "brittle."

What is flash freezing of polymer?

Flash freezing of polymer is a process of rapidly cooling a polymer from its melted state to a solid state. This is typically done by immersing the polymer in a cryogenic liquid, such as liquid nitrogen, to achieve very low temperatures quickly.

Why is flash freezing used for polymers?

Flash freezing is used for polymers because it allows for the rapid solidification of the polymer, which can help to preserve its properties and structure. It is also used to create amorphous polymers, which have unique properties and are often used in various industries.

What are the benefits of flash freezing polymers?

Some of the benefits of flash freezing polymers include improved mechanical properties, increased stability, and better control over the final product's structure. It can also help to reduce processing time and increase productivity in manufacturing processes.

What types of polymers can be flash frozen?

Almost any type of polymer can be flash frozen, including thermoplastics, thermosets, and elastomers. However, the specific properties and behavior of each polymer may vary depending on the freezing conditions and the intended use of the final product.

Are there any risks associated with flash freezing polymers?

As with any scientific process, there are potential risks associated with flash freezing polymers, such as the risk of ice formation or thermal shock. It is important to carefully control the freezing conditions and ensure proper safety measures are in place to avoid any potential hazards.