Why didn't Leavitt sign the paper where the discovery of Leavitt's Law is reflected?

• I
  • Thread starter Jaime Rudas
  • Start date
Jaime Rudas
In 1912, the astronomer at the Harvard Observatory, Henrietta Swan Leavitt, discovered the magnitude-period relationship in Cepheid stars; a relationship that, even today, is one of the fundamental bases for determining cosmological distances. This discovery was reflected in the paper "Period of 25 variable stars in the Small Magellanic Cloud" signed by the director of the observatory, Edward Pickering. Although Pickering points out that the discovery was made by Leavitt, my question is why Leavitt didn't sign the paper?

Likes vanhees71
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Jaime Rudas said:
In 1912, the astronomer at the Harvard Observatory, Henrietta Swan Leavitt, discovered the magnitude-period relationship in Cepheid stars; a relationship that, even today, is one of the fundamental bases for determining cosmological distances. This discovery was reflected in the paper "Period of 25 variable stars in the Small Magellanic Cloud" signed by the director of the observatory, Edward Pickering. Although Pickering points out that the discovery was made by Leavitt, my question is why Leavitt didn't sign the paper?

Sadly, I suspect the answer is that it is because she was female.

Likes sophiecentaur, Klystron, russ_watters and 6 others
Likes sophiecentaur and ohwilleke
DaveE said:
I think it's just amazing what you can learn from reading the results of a simple google search...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Swan_Leavitt
Yes, that's true, but unfortunately it doesn't provide any clue as to why Leavitt didn't sign the paper.

Likes vanhees71
The first sentence read
“The following statement regarding the periods of 25 variable stars in the
Small Magellanic Cloud has been prepared by Miss Leavitt.”
so it could be just the peculiarities of the publication.

Likes Jaime Rudas
It is my understanding that Pickering took considerable heat for using essentially all female "calculators" (because they in fact provided best intellectual value to him). They were referred to derogatorilly as Pickering's Harem.

Likes vanhees71 and Jaime Rudas
hutchphd said:
It is my understanding that Pickering took considerable heat for using essentially all female "calculators" (because they in fact provided best intellectual value to him). They were referred to derogatorilly as Pickering's Harem.
I have understood that the treatment that Pickering gave to women was much better than what was customary in his environment and time.

Likes vanhees71
I think he treated them very well but there were probably limits beyond which he could not go. There are haters everywhere, as we are being reminded daily.

Likes sophiecentaur, vanhees71 and Jaime Rudas
Can someone point out which paper we are talking about? The 1908 paper is single-authored.

1912. You know, like in the OP.

Likes vanhees71, weirdoguy and Jaime Rudas
Vanadium 50 said:
The 1908 paper is single-authored.
Yes, the 1908 one is signed by Leavitt. Precisely for this reason I am intrigued why the one from 1912 isn't signed by her.

Regarding the 1908 paper, in it Leavitt already intuits the magnitude-period relationship when she says:
"It is worthy of notice that in Table IV the brighter variables have the longer periods"

https://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1908AnHar..60...87L&data_type=PDF_HIGH&whole_paper=YES&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
I note current citations to the 1912 paper list both authors (Pickering and Leavitt) but the paper above is signed only by Pickering I would love to know the details

Likes vanhees71 and Jaime Rudas
Thanks for posting the actual paper - it is the one I thought it was, but if it were not, we would have gone through a lot of tail-chasing. What I have been able to tell:
  • This isn't really a journal as we know it today, where one submits a paper, has it reviewed, etc. It's more the Observatory making an announcement.
  • I found another few examples from the period on the web. All are signed only by Pickering (who was the director)
  • Modern databases reference this as Leavittt and Pickering. And as mentioned, it says in the very beginning that this is her work.
I think that answers the OP's question - "They did what they always did"

• Informative
Likes Klystron, Jaime Rudas, DaveE and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
Thanks for posting the actual paper - it is the one I thought it was, but if it were not, we would have gone through a lot of tail-chasing. What I have been able to tell:
  • This isn't really a journal as we know it today, where one submits a paper, has it reviewed, etc. It's more the Observatory making an announcement.
  • I found another few examples from the period on the web. All are signed only by Pickering (who was the director)
  • Modern databases reference this as Leavittt and Pickering. And as mentioned, it says in the very beginning that this is her work.
I think that answers the OP's question - "They did what they always did"
Excellent answer. Thanks!

Likes vanhees71
pasmith said:
Sadly, I suspect the answer is that it is because she was female.
Yes, 1912 was a very different landscape for women here and in US.
A quick google Women did not vote in the US at that time, or in the UK.
Women's education had similar status. Ivy league did not admit females till the 1960s.
Just makes achievements at that time all the more impressive.

Likes Ken G, sophiecentaur, weirdoguy and 2 others
There's a long way to go before women (and other groups) get real equality. But at least we can see improvements - the vote, FA membership, prime minsters etc. etc. which have benefitted a number of groups, but not universally. We all have versions of the Taliban at work in our 'enlightened' western democracies. It can be all too easy to feel complacent.

Likes pinball1970 and Klystron

1. Why didn't Leavitt sign the paper where the discovery of Leavitt's Law is reflected?

Leavitt's Law, also known as the Period-Luminosity Relation, was first discovered by Henrietta Swan Leavitt in 1912. However, she did not receive credit for her discovery until much later. This was due to the fact that at the time, women were not allowed to be listed as authors on scientific papers.

2. Was Leavitt aware of the significance of her discovery?

Yes, Leavitt was aware of the significance of her discovery. In her original paper, she stated that the period of a Cepheid variable star is directly related to its luminosity. This relationship is now known as Leavitt's Law and has been used to accurately measure distances to other galaxies.

3. Who was credited for the discovery of Leavitt's Law?

In 1923, astronomer Edwin Hubble published a paper that included Leavitt's Law and he was credited with the discovery. However, he did acknowledge Leavitt's work in his paper and she is now recognized as the original discoverer of the Period-Luminosity Relation.

4. Did Leavitt receive any recognition for her discovery during her lifetime?

Unfortunately, Leavitt did not receive any recognition for her discovery during her lifetime. She passed away in 1921, two years before Hubble's paper was published. It wasn't until much later that her contributions to astronomy were fully recognized and she was posthumously awarded the American Astronomical Society's Annie J. Cannon Award in 1926.

5. How has Leavitt's Law impacted the field of astronomy?

Leavitt's Law has had a significant impact on the field of astronomy. It has allowed astronomers to accurately measure distances to other galaxies, which has led to a better understanding of the size and structure of the universe. It has also been used to determine the expansion rate of the universe and has been a key tool in the study of cosmology.