Why dna polymerase require a primer but rna polymerase don't?

• Thread starter Ahmed Abdullah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna Rna
In summary, the question is about the difference between RNA polymerase and DNA polymerase in terms of their ability to initiate polymerization. It is explained that DNA polymerase requires a free 3' hydroxyl group to add nucleotides and cannot initiate polymerization on its own, while RNA polymerase can initiate at a promoter sequence due to the structure of its active site. It is also mentioned that RNA polymerase has lower fidelity because it lacks an exonuclease for proofreading. The conversation then shifts to the evolutionary reasoning for this difference, with the question of why DNA polymerase was not selected to initiate replication.
Ahmed Abdullah
I asked this question in some other place but they had simply said that .. the DNA polymerase don't have the ability to start DNA polymerization but I already know that and it doesn't answer my question.

RNA is not much different from DNA (virtually same as far as polymerization reaction is concerned). If RNA polymerase can start without any primer ... it seems that there is not much mechanistic problem for DNA polymerase in doing so. Does it has something to do with accuracy? Like, the kind of design required to start polymerization from scratch comes at the cost of fidelity (i.e replication process become more error prone). Or there is a fundamental difference (completely different mechanism) in the way RNA polymerase and DNA polymerase work?
By the way a complementary question, why RNA polymerase has low fidelity?

Biology news on Phys.org
Ahmed Abdullah said:
I asked this question in some other place but they had simply said that .. the DNA polymerase don't have the ability to start DNA polymerization but I already know that and it doesn't answer my question.

RNA is not much different from DNA (virtually same as far as polymerization reaction is concerned). If RNA polymerase can start without any primer ... it seems that there is not much mechanistic problem for DNA polymerase in doing so. Does it has something to do with accuracy? Like, the kind of design required to start polymerization from scratch comes at the cost of fidelity (i.e replication process become more error prone). Or there is a fundamental difference (completely different mechanism) in the way RNA polymerase and DNA polymerase work?
By the way a complementary question, why RNA polymerase has low fidelity?

Because DNApol needs a free 3' hydroxyl group to add its nucleotide too. Its active site isn't capable of initiating polymerization itself.

The active site of RNApol is capable of initiating polymerization at a promoter sequence. The difference in the two, is in the geometry and nature of their active sites.

Edit for your complementary question; RNA polymerase has "low fidelity" because it cannot proof read like DNApol can. It lacks an exonuclease that will work for proof reading.

Last edited:
bobze said:
Because DNApol needs a free 3' hydroxyl group to add its nucleotide too. Its active site isn't capable of initiating polymerization itself.

The active site of RNApol is capable of initiating polymerization at a promoter sequence. The difference in the two, is in the geometry and nature of their active sites.

Edit for your complementary question; RNA polymerase has "low fidelity" because it cannot proof read like DNApol can. It lacks an exonuclease that will work for proof reading.

Precisely the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you very much . :!)

bobze, can you post some link where I can get the details. Thnx anyway.

Ahmed Abdullah said:
bobze, can you post some link where I can get the details. Thnx anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_polymerase

DNA polymerase can add free nucleotides to only the 3' end of the newly-forming strand. This results in elongation of the new strand in a 5'-3' direction. No known DNA polymerase is able to begin a new chain (de novo). DNA polymerase can add a nucleotide onto only a preexisting 3'-OH group, and, therefore, needs a primer at which it can add the first nucleotide. Primers consist of RNA and/or DNA bases. In DNA replication, the first two bases are always RNA, and are synthesized by another enzyme called primase. An enzyme known as a helicase is required to unwind DNA from a double-strand structure to a single-strand structure to facilitate replication of each strand consistent with the semiconservative model of DNA replication.
Error correction is a property of some, but not all, DNA polymerases. This process corrects mistakes in newly-synthesized DNA. When an incorrect base pair is recognized, DNA polymerase reverses its direction by one base pair of DNA. The 3'-5' exonuclease activity of the enzyme allows the incorrect base pair to be excised (this activity is known as proofreading). Following base excision, the polymerase can re-insert the correct base and replication can continue.

bobze said:

The answer is mechanistic one, it answers why by the existing structure the DNA polymerase can't initiate DNA replication (polymerization reaction). And I appreciate the answer.

I am also curious about the evolutionary answer. Why evolution selected DNA polymerases unable of initiating dna replication? At least what is rationale for such an enzyme?

1. Why does DNA polymerase require a primer?

DNA polymerase requires a primer because it is unable to initiate the synthesis of a new DNA strand on its own. The primer provides a starting point for the enzyme to attach and begin adding nucleotides to the growing strand.

2. Why doesn't RNA polymerase require a primer?

Unlike DNA polymerase, RNA polymerase does not require a primer to initiate transcription. This is because RNA polymerase is able to recognize specific sequences on the DNA template strand, known as promoters, which signal the starting point for transcription.

3. What is the difference between DNA and RNA polymerase in terms of primer requirement?

The main difference between DNA and RNA polymerase in terms of primer requirement is that DNA polymerase requires a primer to initiate the synthesis of a new DNA strand, while RNA polymerase does not. This is due to the different roles of these enzymes in DNA replication and RNA transcription.

4. Can RNA polymerase use a primer if one is present?

No, RNA polymerase cannot use a primer even if one is present. This is because RNA polymerase is only able to synthesize RNA in the 5' to 3' direction, meaning it can only add nucleotides to the 3' end of an existing RNA strand.

5. Why don't DNA polymerase and RNA polymerase have the same primer requirement?

DNA polymerase and RNA polymerase have different primer requirements because they have different functions in the cell. DNA polymerase is responsible for replicating the entire genome during cell division, while RNA polymerase only needs to transcribe specific genes as needed. Therefore, the ability to use a primer is not necessary for RNA polymerase.