Why do Dirac spinors obey the Klein-Gordon equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Dirac equation and the Klein-Gordon equation, which are equations of motion for different types of particles. It is mentioned that spinors, which are particles of the Dirac field, follow the equation of motion for real scalar field particles. This is not unusual as any free-particle mode for a particle with mass ##m## must obey the "on-shell condition" ##p^2=m^2## and thus the fields must also obey the free Klein-Gordon equation. The significance of this is due to the representation theory of the Poincare group. The conversation concludes with the understanding that there is nothing strange or unusual about this relationship between the two equations.
carllacan
The solutions to the Dirac equation are also solutions of the Klein-Gordon equation, which is the equation of motion for the real scalar field. I can see that the converse is not true, but why do spinors follow the equation for real-field particles? Is there any physical meaning to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, any free-particle mode for a particle with mass ##m## must obey the "on-shell condition" ##p^2=m^2## (in units where \hbar=c=1). Thus the fields must obey the free KG equation
$$(\Box+m^2) \psi=(\partial_{\mu} \partial^{\mu} + m^2)\psi=0.$$
That's true for the Dirac equation, because you have
$$(\mathrm{i} \not{\partial}-m) \psi=0.$$
This implies of course
$$(\mathrm{i} \not{\partial}+m)(\mathrm{i} \not{\partial}-m) \psi=0$$
Now multiply out the operator. You get
$$(-\not{\partial}^2-m^2)\psi = 0 \qquad (*),$$
but now
$$\not{\partial}^2=\gamma^{\mu} \gamma^{\nu} \partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu}.$$
Since the partial derivatives commute this gives from the Dirac-matrices' anti-commutation relations (Clifford algebra of Minkowski space!)
$$\not{\partial}^2= \frac{1}{2} [\gamma^{\mu},\gamma^{\nu}]_+ \partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} = g^{\mu \nu} \partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} = \Box,$$
and thus (*) is just the proof that the Dirac field describes really particles with mass ##m##.

If you square the Dirac Equation, you get the Klein-Gordon equation. So any solution of the Dirac Equation is a solution of the Klein-Gordon equation.

Thank you both. I already see how to go from the Dirac equation to the KG. My question was: how is it possible that spinors, which are the particles of the Dirac field, follow the equation of motion of the real scalar field particles. It just weirds me out.

vanhees71 said:
Sure, any free-particle mode for a particle with mass ##m## must obey the "on-shell condition" ##p^2=m^2## (in units where \hbar=c=1). Thus the fields must obey the free KG equation.

Does it mean that all free field operators obey the KG on top of their own equation of motion? Is there any significance to the real scalar field only obeying KG?

Moving beyond single-particle states, quantum fields are operators on mutli-particle states (Fock spaces), and quantum fields for spin 0 and spin 1/2 satisfy different commutation/anti-commutation relations.

I might also point out the components of E and B fields of electromagnetism obey a wave equation ##(m = 0)##. The reasons are relativity and the fact that space time is homogeneous and isotropic.

carllacan said:
Thank you both. I already see how to go from the Dirac equation to the KG. My question was: how is it possible that spinors, which are the particles of the Dirac field, follow the equation of motion of the real scalar field particles. It just weirds me out.

Does it mean that all free field operators obey the KG on top of their own equation of motion? Is there any significance to the real scalar field only obeying KG?
I don't see, what's weird about it. What don't you understand about my derivation?

The key to the full understanding, why relativistic wave equations look the way they look is the representation theory of the Poincare group. See, e.g., my QFT lecture notes:

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

carllacan said:
There is nothing strange about it. Consider some quantity ##f(t)## satisfying first-order differential equation
$$\frac{df}{dt}=0$$
Obviously, it follows that this quantity also satisfies the second order differential equation
$$\frac{d^2f}{dt^2}=0$$

Likes vanhees71
No, I don't see anything wrong or weird with the math. It is just that I found it curious that the Dirac field obeyed the equation for the scalar real field, and I though there might be some interesting physics behind the fact, like fermions and scalar real particles having some common property, or fermions being scalar real field particles with an additional characteristic, or somethin.

But I guess the fact that none of you understood what I meant means that there's actually nothing interesting about it after all.

Thanks for your answers.

1. Why do Dirac spinors obey the Klein-Gordon equation?

Dirac spinors are solutions to the Dirac equation, which was formulated by physicist Paul Dirac to describe the behavior of relativistic particles with spin. The Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spinless particles. Dirac spinors obey the Klein-Gordon equation because they are solutions to the Dirac equation, which is derived from the Klein-Gordon equation.

2. What is the relationship between the Dirac equation and the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Dirac equation is a more general form of the Klein-Gordon equation. It includes the spin of particles, making it applicable to particles with spin such as electrons. The Dirac equation can be derived from the Klein-Gordon equation by taking into account the spin of particles.

3. How does the Klein-Gordon equation account for the spin of particles?

The Klein-Gordon equation does not directly account for the spin of particles. However, when the Dirac equation is derived from the Klein-Gordon equation, it includes spin as an intrinsic property of particles. This is because the Dirac equation takes into account the relativistic effects of spin in its formulation.

4. Are there any other equations that describe the behavior of particles with spin?

Yes, there are other equations that describe the behavior of particles with spin, such as the Proca equation and the Maxwell equations. However, the Dirac equation is the most commonly used and well-known equation for describing particles with spin.

5. How is the Klein-Gordon equation related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic version of the Schrödinger equation. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not accounted for in the non-relativistic Schrödinger equation. The Klein-Gordon equation is also applicable to particles with spin, whereas the Schrödinger equation is only applicable to spinless particles.