Why Do English Class Instructions Change Every Year?

In summary, there is a lack of communication between different grade levels when it comes to teaching writing styles, resulting in confusion for students. English is a subjective subject and can vary depending on the teacher's preferences. It is important for students to learn to adapt their writing style to suit the needs of their readers. Ultimately, the best way to succeed in English is to follow the teacher's instructions, regardless of their teaching style.
Blahness
9th grade teachers: "Kids, write a thesis that specifically states 3 different supporting topics"

10th grade teachers: "Write a thesis that is three-pronged, is factual, and supports the main point of the paper"

And, happy new school year, all!

What do I get in 11th grade English?

Teacher: "Your previous teachers should have been teaching you not to use the three-pronged thesis, and instead you should have a more open thesis that's ARGUABLE OPINIONS."

Wait... what?

Why don't different grade levels communicate on what they're teaching? =|

It rather confuses me, reading about this... What should I do? I hate re-learning stuff t.t

Physics news on Phys.org
English, unlike math... or science... sigh. Anyway, English is very often a matter of style, with no truly fixed rules, just generally accepted conventions (spelling, grammar, punctuation) and a sense of what sounds good. Very touchy-feely, fluctuates depending on what you're writing.

My rule of thumb: Ignore this particular teacher's rules; just write what sounds good. Works for me, but not for everyone. If you read enough quality writing (Heinlein, Asimov, all of "the classics"...), you should do OK as long as your writing doesn't grate on you.

Proper rule of thumb: Don't ever bother "learning" anything besides spelling, grammar, punctuation, and rules that you like. Just follow each teacher's rules as they come.

Then do a math problem to cheer you up. :wink:

This kind of thing is true in universities, as well. And it's even more true in industry, unfortunately.

- Warren

Indeed.

Thank you, guy with weird name. ^.^

Blahness said:
Thank you, guy with weird name. ^.^
I think s/he's mumbling. :biggrin:

I think the good lesson you can get from this is to learn to adapt your writing style to suit the needs of the reader. That sort of flexibility in your writing is a good thing to develop since you will always need to adjust to suit the readers you're targeting.

mbrmbrg said:
If you read enough quality writing (Heinlein, Asimov, all of "the classics"...), you should do OK
:bugeye: I'm speechless!

While the English language is more complicated than building a time machine, people would like to think it's as straight forward as one rule applying to everything.

Just shut up and do what the teacher says. If it's an excellent teacher, who doesn't care all that much about teaching, you can get good grades with good writing no matter how it's done. If it's a crappy teacher whos entire life revolves around school (read: power trip), the only way to get a good grade is to do exactly as they say.
The only way to win either situation is to do exactly as they say.

Related to Why Do English Class Instructions Change Every Year?

1. Why do I have trouble understanding my English classes?

There could be several reasons why you are having trouble understanding your English classes. It could be because of a language barrier, lack of prior knowledge or understanding of the subject, or even a difference in teaching styles. It is important to identify the specific areas where you are struggling and seek help from your teacher or a tutor.

2. How can I improve my understanding of English classes?

Improving your understanding of English classes takes time and effort. It is important to actively participate in class, ask questions, and take notes. You can also practice outside of class by reading, writing, and listening to English materials. Seeking extra help from your teacher or a tutor can also be beneficial.

3. What can I do if I feel overwhelmed by my English classes?

If you feel overwhelmed by your English classes, it is important to take a step back and identify the root of the problem. Are you struggling with a specific aspect of the class, or is it the workload that is causing stress? Once you have identified the issue, you can seek help from your teacher or a counselor to come up with a plan to manage your workload and improve your understanding of the class.

4. How can I keep up with the pace of my English classes?

English classes can be fast-paced, and it can be challenging to keep up with the material. To stay on track, make sure to attend every class and complete all assignments on time. Take thorough notes and review them regularly. If you fall behind, don't hesitate to ask your teacher for clarification or extra help.

5. What resources are available to help me with my English classes?

There are various resources available to help you with your English classes. Your teacher is always a great resource and can provide you with extra help or clarify any confusion you may have. Your school may also offer tutoring services or writing centers where you can receive additional support. Online resources, such as grammar and vocabulary websites, can also be helpful for self-study and practice.