Why Do Evolutionary Scientists Dismiss Behe's Ideas on Intelligent Design?

• Thread starter Moridin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dogs
In summary: He testified and had a pretty good case. Despite the win, the whole ordeal did a lot to strengthen the argument for intelligent design.In summary, Michael Behe's latest book, "The Edge of Evolution," is reviewed by Oxford evolutionary zoologist Richard Dawkins. Both Dawkins and Miller give the book a thumbs down, with Dawkins calling it "the last we'll hear from him."
Moridin
This Sundays book review is on the newest book by ID proponent Michael Behe called "The Edge of Evolution" and is reviewed by Oxford evolutionary zoologist Richard Dawkins.

Inferior Design

The second is the book of a man who has given up. Trapped along a false path of his own rather unintelligent design, Behe has left himself no escape. Poster boy of creationists everywhere, he has cut himself adrift from the world of real science. And real science, in the shape of his own department of biological sciences at Lehigh University, has publicly disowned him, via a remarkable disclaimer on its Web site: “While we respect Prof. Behe’s right to express his views, they are his alone and are in no way endorsed by the department.

An another note, how odd that Behe didn't think of dogs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go Dawkins. Its a shame that Behe couldn't admit he was wrong and perhaps salvage some sort of career, but perhaps this is necessary to finally kill off this current wave of creationist revivalism. Although something tells me its not the last we'll hear.

Kurdt said:
Go Dawkins.
Indeed. Dawkins really slapped him silly. Gotta love it!

I read [most of] "Darwin's Black Box" and it is well written - so well written I get the impression that a lot of people who liked it couldn't get past how well written it was to actually think about the arguments being made. They were ludicrously, transparently simplistic, and even contradictory.

I didn't realize he was from Lehigh and I'm not sure if knowing of the disclaimer makes that good or bad for the school...

I also didn't realize he testified in the Dover, PA case - though I knew about the judge's b!tch slap!

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
Indeed. Dawkins really slapped him silly. Gotta love it!

Ken Miller deserves a lot of credit. He was mentioned in the article.

What is "Dogs: Behe's Blind Spot"?

"Dogs: Behe's Blind Spot" is a book written by scientist and author Michael J. Behe, which discusses the evolution of dogs and how it relates to the concept of intelligent design.

What is the main argument of "Dogs: Behe's Blind Spot"?

The main argument of "Dogs: Behe's Blind Spot" is that the evolution of dogs cannot be explained solely through natural selection and random mutations, and that there must have been an intelligent designer involved in the process.

How does "Dogs: Behe's Blind Spot" address the theory of evolution?

"Dogs: Behe's Blind Spot" challenges the theory of evolution by proposing that certain features of dogs, such as their diverse sizes and shapes, cannot be fully explained by natural selection and instead must have been intentionally designed.

What evidence does "Dogs: Behe's Blind Spot" provide for its argument?

"Dogs: Behe's Blind Spot" presents scientific evidence, such as genetic studies and experiments with selective breeding, to support its argument that intelligent design played a role in the evolution of dogs.

What is the scientific community's response to "Dogs: Behe's Blind Spot"?

The scientific community largely rejects the ideas presented in "Dogs: Behe's Blind Spot" as it goes against the widely accepted theory of evolution and lacks sufficient evidence to support its claims. However, the book has sparked debates and discussions among scientists, leading to further research and exploration of the topic.