Why Do Galaxies Spin? Exploring Black Hole Origins

In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons for the rotation of black holes, planets, and galaxies. It is explained that this rotation is a result of the angular momentum of the particles that make up these bodies. This momentum is likely already present in large clouds of gas and becomes more noticeable as the gas collapses due to gravity. The conversation concludes by stating that it is rare to find a non-rotating galaxy because it is unlikely for a cloud of gas to have zero angular momentum.
ryanuser
I wondered about them sometime; I came across many theories, such as it might be because the of the black hole at its centre, but another question rises! Why black holes spin?
I thought it might be because at first when the black hole was a star just like our sun, before supernovae happening, at its first moments that matter collided together, gravity made them turn around each other then eventually collision and then birth of a star!
Any suggestions?

Space news on Phys.org
Planets, black holes, galaxies all spin for the same reason. The matter that forms them does not come together all headed in directly to a single point. Also, the stars that form black holes are rotating before they go supernova. Why would you expect that rotational inertia to just disappear?

By my statement, I meant before the creation of even stars, matter collided in a circular direction because of their gravity, then star was made, supernovae and then black holes, both bodies spin but I meant rotation of black holes or planets may accrued way back when their first parts was joined to make them.

ryanuser said:
... rotation of black holes or planets may accrued way back when their first parts was joined to make them.

Yes, that's exactly what I just said.

Another way to state it is that it is really, really unlikely for a large, randomly-moving cloud of particles to have no angular momentum at all. It likely won't have enough to have any noticeable spin while it's still a diffuse cloud of gas. When that cloud of particles collapses over time to form a compact structure like a galaxy, the angular momentum stays close to the same, but because a galaxy (or a star, or a planet, or a black hole) is vastly, vastly more compact than the cloud of dust that it forms from, it spins noticeably.

And for spiral galaxies, the reason why the stars mostly tend to orbit in a plane is because those galaxies are full of dust, and thus the stars experience friction. Galaxies with little to no dust form elliptical galaxies, which have stars orbiting in essentially random directions.

So what you are saying is that clouds of dust just start to spin after being compressed down?

ryanuser said:
So what you are saying is that clouds of dust just start to spin after being compressed down?
Sorta kinda. More that large clouds of gas are already spinning on average by some imperceptible amount just due to the random motions of the particles in the cloud. You'd never notice it for a large cloud.

But as the cloud collapses in on itself due to gravity, that spinning becomes very noticeable indeed.

Thanks, now I got more clear view of it.

ryanuser said:

Well, that is how angular momentum works...

It's not impossible to find a non-spinning galaxy, but it would be surprising, for about the same reason that it would be surprising to throw a coin and have it land balanced on its edge. There's no violation of the laws of physics, but the initial conditions that would lead to that result are unlikely. Likewise, it's very unlikely that you'll find a cloud of gas that has zero angular momentum but if you did, it could collapse down to a non-rotating galaxy.

Related to Why Do Galaxies Spin? Exploring Black Hole Origins

1. Why do galaxies spin?

Galaxies spin because of the conservation of angular momentum. When a galaxy forms, it is made up of gas and dust that collapses under the force of gravity. As the gas and dust collapse, they start to spin due to small initial rotations. This rotation is then amplified as the galaxy continues to form and grow, resulting in a spinning galaxy.

2. What causes the spinning motion in galaxies?

The spinning motion in galaxies is caused by the distribution of mass within the galaxy. As the galaxy forms, the gas and dust collapse towards the center, creating a dense, rotating core. This core then pulls in more gas and dust, further increasing the rotational speed of the galaxy.

3. Do all galaxies spin?

Yes, all galaxies spin. However, the rate of spin can vary greatly from galaxy to galaxy. Some galaxies, like spiral galaxies, have a more distinct and visible spinning motion, while others, like elliptical galaxies, may have a less pronounced spin due to their shape.

4. How do black holes relate to the spinning of galaxies?

Black holes can play a significant role in the spinning of galaxies. As gas and dust collapse towards the center of a galaxy, it can form a supermassive black hole. This black hole can then influence the rotation of the galaxy, causing it to spin faster. Additionally, as matter gets pulled into the black hole, it can also release energy that affects the movement of surrounding materials, further contributing to the rotation of the galaxy.

5. Can the spinning of galaxies change over time?

Yes, the spinning of galaxies can change over time. Galaxies can interact and merge with one another, which can affect their spinning motion. For example, when two galaxies merge, their combined mass and momentum can cause them to spin faster or change their direction of rotation. Additionally, the growth and evolution of a galaxy can also impact its spinning motion over time.