Why do girls struggle in science classes while boys excel?

• Thread starter GodsChild086
  • Start date
In summary: Guys seem drawn to the subject more due to its various applications in their lives, while girls seem to be more drawn to the social aspects of the class. This problem becomes more apparent when it comes to help seeking, as the only girl in the class is usually the recipient of a lot of help. Girls are also more prone to show off their academic prowess, whereas guys are more likely to be more humble. Girls in these classes are also more likely to be better writers and to use more complex language. Guys in these classes are also more likely to be better at problem solving and to understand more complex concepts. This problem becomes more apparent when it comes to homework, as the guys in these classes are more likely to
Invisible said:
Oh, I see what you're saying now. Actually, I sort of got the impression that she was showing off. And no, I don't give a **** what her mark is or what the other students' marks are either. Even the person with 67 could get his/her mark up.

In my class, there is a person who was doing really good...I'm not going to say any marks cause I don't want to be a loser like the GodsChild086 person. But yes, he was always getting the good marks, and now he's in the range of failing. So my point is that I think the GodsChild086 person should not even have posted this thread, but cause she won't know when her mark will drop considerably. But then again, I don't care, and I don't give a **** either.

Exactly.

This won't all happen in high school either. I have met people that received full scholarships, but are now on probation because they flunked out of university. Don't ask your teacher if you know your stuff, ask yourself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Talk of pass/fail system: I would advocate a pass/fail system if it required at least an 80% (if not 90%) to pass. Realistically if you can't achieve an 80% grade would you really consider yourself learned in that particular subject? Do you want someone who was only "right" half of the time? ;)

Edit: I think it is unacceptable to call GodsChild a "loser" merely if you disagree with them and their thread, regardless of how you feel.

singleton said:
Talk of pass/fail system: I would advocate a pass/fail system if it required at least an 80% (if not 90%) to pass. Realistically if you can't achieve an 80% grade would you really consider yourself learned in that particular subject? Do you want someone who was only "right" half of the time? ;)

Edit: I think it is unacceptable to call GodsChild a "loser" merely if you disagree with them and their thread, regardless of how you feel.

Yeah but then the schools here would have even higher failure rates, and politicians would lose their jobs because idiot parents buy into the liberal agenda that their kid is capable of anything when he/she plainly isn't. [/rant]

franznietzsche said:
Yeah but then the schools here would have even higher failure rates, and politicians would lose their jobs because idiot parents buy into the liberal agenda that their kid is capable of anything when he/she plainly isn't. [/rant]

That is my opinion IF they implement a pass/fail scheme though. If you want to have a system that decides what is "learned" and what isn't...then by all means use at least an 80% IMO.

Side note: Part of me would like to see schools offer courses with no prerequisities and no grading system. Then students could learn without the fear and pressure of "performance". I wouldn't suggest these people obtain professional certifications or degrees--rather that it would be a nice option if they could just "learn". I would never want these people (who haven't been formally tested on their knowledge) to be actually working in the field :P

Realistically they couldn't handle that much influx of people though... so they use the next best thing to prioritize incoming students (your GPA).

Thats just a minor opinion though. Of course we would all like to be in classes with highly intelligent peers where they all take school seriously (with a personal vested interest). Doing teamwork and projects would be great. Collaboration among students would be amazing. But that is unlikely to happen anytime soon :biggrin:

singleton said:
Of course we would all like to be in classes with highly intelligent peers where they all take school seriously (with a personal vested interest). Doing teamwork and projects would be great. Collaboration among students would be amazing. But that is unlikely to happen anytime soon :biggrin:

I have yet to meet such people.

To be perfectly i honest. I no longer take school seriously. Structured education is a waste of time. Something i ahve to do because the powers that be say so. It would be much more productive to learn independently at my own my pace. Right now I'm learning far more doing independent work with a professor on Astrophysics than the basic required course that i ahve to take coul ever teach me. I could teach some of the classes I'm forced to take.

"Classes will dull your mind and eliminate the potential for authentic creativity"

Last edited:
franznietzsche said:

To be perfectly i honest. I no longer take school seriously. Structured education is a waste of time. Something i ahve to do because the powers that be say so. It would be much more productive to learn independently at my own my pace. Right now I'm learning far more doing independent work with a professor on Astrophysics than the basic required course that i ahve to take coul ever teach me. I could teach some of the classes I'm forced to take.

"Classes will dull your mind and eliminate the potential for authentic creativity"

I have not been in any class like that either--but if you culled the population using GPA then you'd probably (not always) be left with the brighter students.

Yes of course some people will always maintain that your GPA doesn't matter. We are all modest Good Will Huntings (kidding). We purposely have poor grades :smile:
In reality the majority of the time a student with a 3.8+ GPA knows his stuff much more than a student with a barely passing GPA who "knows everything" but, you know, just doesn't want high marks heh. Give me a break :rolleyes:

I'll agree that some of the most significant learning you will do is on your own. School is only meant as an introduction to get your feet wet. You must carry yourself and invest much of your own time to excel in any subject pretty much.

singleton said:
In reality the majority of the time a student with a 3.8+ GPA knows his stuff much more than a student with a barely passing GPA who "knows everything" but, you know, just doesn't want high marks heh. Give me a break :rolleyes:

I never said that. I said that the education system in the US, as it is, is a waste of time.

singleton said:
I'll agree that some of the most significant learning you will do is on your own. School is only meant as an introduction to get your feet wet. You must carry yourself and invest much of your own time to excel in any subject pretty much.

What school is meant as, and what it is are two very different things.

franznietzsche said:
I never said that. I said that the education system in the US, as it is, is a waste of time.
It was a culmination of my thoughts and what others have said in this particular thread. It wasn't directed at your comment even though I used one large response heh.

Last edited:
franznietzsche said:

Same here. I don't take it seriously anymore either.