Why do I consistently receive low marks in basic science quizzes?

• Studying
  • Thread starter DifferentialGalois
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marks Science
In summary, a twelve year old is struggling in school and does not understand why. He has low marks in biology quizzes and wants to boost his score. He has doubts about whether he has the intelligence to pursue a career in theoretical physics. He is doubtful about whether six months of studying integral calculus, conceptual basics of quantum mechanics, appreciation for the theoretical physics community, and effort to become better at mathematical thinking will help him. He is considering whether he should focus on becoming better at one specific quality or practice many different qualities.
This might help:

• Love
  • Haha
Likes member 587159 and etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
People still going on and on and on about this? Something I already tried in post #59, but let's try it another way.

DifferentialGalois, you need to be attending either vocational training after these next 4 years OR attending a university after these next 4 years. One year after that, you need to be in a job and work! You have two weeks from today to decide: MAKE YOUR CHOICE WHERE TO GO , WHAT TO LEARN AND STAY WITH IT!EDIT: This post needs some editing for more accurate time accounting. The O.P. will have four more years of high school, and then another two to four years of voc. training OR university ed. and then may need to get a job.

Last edited:
@DifferentialGalois,

Mate,... (yes I'm Australian too, so pardon me if I sound a bit harsh and tell you to stop whinging and be more practical -- see below)...

I don't see anywhere in this whole thread where you have reproduced a particular problem that you had trouble with in a quiz, and asked for help solving it properly (i.e., in one of the PF homework forums). Have you done this somewhere? If so, please give links.

If you're not doing well in quizzes, it's probably because you're not actually doing enough practice quiz questions beforehand. That's the only way to find out for sure whether you understand something well.

Even at University, I had friends who thought "studying in the library" meant just reading through the course notes, but were reluctant/lazy to work through past exam questions in detail, etc. I told them to expect poor results and regrettably I was right.

So,... concrete suggestion,... if you haven't done so already, start posting specific problems in the PF homework forums, and show your attempted answers/solutions.
Even after a quiz -- if you got a question wrong you can post it in a homework forum and ask for help to find a correct answer, or even just to check an answer if you're not sure it's correct.

Likes Mark44 and sysprog
Participating members:
Some need to look again in post #1. O.P. is still fairly young. Much can change in the next two or three years, so then being up to middle of HIGH School. He would by then have figured some things like how to change, or what to do differently or better. He may also become more decisive about a career path. Do you know many eighth graders who are sure they know what job or career they want when they grow up? Maybe one or two but not many. What is the chance someone in eighth grade may "decide" what career he wants but change this later?

Likes sysprog and Lnewqban
strangerep said:
@DifferentialGalois,

Mate,... (yes I'm Australian too, so pardon me if I sound a bit harsh and tell you to stop whinging and be more practical -- see below)...

I don't see anywhere in this whole thread where you have reproduced a particular problem that you had trouble with in a quiz, and asked for help solving it properly (i.e., in one of the PF homework forums). Have you done this somewhere? If so, please give links.

If you're not doing well in quizzes, it's probably because you're not actually doing enough practice quiz questions beforehand. That's the only way to find out for sure whether you understand something well.

Even at University, I had friends who thought "studying in the library" meant just reading through the course notes, but were reluctant/lazy to work through past exam questions in detail, etc. I told them to expect poor results and regrettably I was right.

So,... concrete suggestion,... if you haven't done so already, start posting specific problems in the PF homework forums, and show your attempted answers/solutions.
Even after a quiz -- if you got a question wrong you can post it in a homework forum and ask for help to find a correct answer, or even just to check an answer if you're not sure it's correct.

They don't give away past papers, so I can only speculate what they are to give in an exam. My best hopes currently seem to be revising the course notes and/or creating mock questions that I think could possibly appear in the given exam.

Regarding someone's request to provide a sample question:

What is the symbiotic relationship between fungus and algae in lichens?
A) Parasitism
B) Predation
C) Commensalism
D) Mutualism

Before answering the question, I would note to myself that:
Parasitism +/-
Commensalism +/? (No effect on other organism)
Mutualism +/+
Predation can be ruled out because it does not describe a symbiotic relationship.

Fungi receive carbon as a source of food from the algae, and conversely, the fungi provide optimal conditions for the algae to thrive. This is done in such a way that benefits both organisms - the algae and the fungi. Hence, because mutualism describes a symbiotic relationship where each species has a net benefit, the answer is D.

Which best describes the use of lanthanides in the real world?
A) neutralisation
B) technology
C) nuclear fuels
D) deterring chemical reactions

Well, Option D can be safely ruled out because it is the noble gases that mainly take part in this. IIRC, non metallic elements are used to neutralise acids and bases and what not? But lanthanides are certainly not well known for having application in neutralisation. Option A can thus be ruled out. Given a periodic table, we see that uranium and thorium are actinides, and it is well known that both are used in nuclear fuels. So Option C can be ruled out. Option B is only left.

[Edit: While I was composing this post, I see you've posted some actual questions. Good. If you have more, then maybe think about posting them as separate threads in the relevant PF homework section -- but make sure you use the PF homework-help template.]

DifferentialGalois said:
They don't give away past papers,
Oh heck, don't let that kind of nonsense stop you. E.g., University past exam papers are routinely available in their libraries. If your school won't provide them, then go around that blockade and look elsewhere. See below.

so I can only speculate what they are to give in an exam.
Well, you can actually do rather better than that. E.g., you could:

1) Check your textbooks to see if they have problem sets at the end of chapters, etc. Also check your library to find other textbooks on similar material. (I'm sure your librarian would help you to find parallel material.)

2) Do a bit of googling to find, e.g., "Year 8 Science Exam papers". I just tried that and found many potentially helpful resources. (Although the Australian year 8 curriculum might not match that of other countries, you could always vary the year of your search until you find something that roughly matches the material taught in class.)

I then tried a more specific google query: "Year 8 Science Exam papers Australia". The 1st hit was from kinrosscollege.wa.edu.au (Kinross College in WA). Plenty of past questions there.

My 2nd hit was qcaa.qld.edu.au, the Qld Curriculum and Assessment Authority. Again, lots of resources there.

My 3rd hit was at proprofs.com, a "Year 8 Science Exam Revision (for the Australian Curriculum)".

Further down was one from Irymple College: "Mr Hung's Science Homework".

(And there were plenty more after that.)

Summary: good, relevant practice questions are only a few clicks away via Google.

My best hopes currently seem to be revising the course notes and/or creating mock questions that I think could possibly appear in the given exam.
No, that is NOT your "best hope" -- it's the road to poor results.

Try the alternative suggestions above.

Outline one way to prevent the rusting of iron (1 mark).
Galvanisation is one method that could prevent the rusting of iron - the iron object is coated with a thin layer of zinc. The presence of the thin layer per se stops any water or oxygen from reacting with the iron.

strangerep said:
[Edit: While I was composing this post, I see you've posted some actual questions. Good. If you have more, then maybe think about posting them as separate threads in the relevant PF homework section -- but make sure you use the PF homework-help template.]

Oh heck, don't let that kind of nonsense stop you. E.g., University past exam papers are routinely available in their libraries. If your school won't provide them, then go around that blockade and look elsewhere. See below.

Well, you can actually do rather better than that. E.g., you could:

1) Check your textbooks to see if they have problem sets at the end of chapters, etc. Also check your library to find other textbooks on similar material. (I'm sure your librarian would help you to find parallel material.)

2) Do a bit of googling to find, e.g., "Year 8 Science Exam papers". I just tried that and found many potentially helpful resources. (Although the Australian year 8 curriculum might not match that of other countries, you could always vary the year of your search until you find something that roughly matches the material taught in class.)

I then tried a more specific google query: "Year 8 Science Exam papers Australia". The 1st hit was from kinrosscollege.wa.edu.au (Kinross College in WA). Plenty of past questions there.

My 2nd hit was qcaa.qld.edu.au, the Qld Curriculum and Assessment Authority. Again, lots of resources there.

My 3rd hit was at proprofs.com, a "Year 8 Science Exam Revision (for the Australian Curriculum)".

Further down was one from Irymple College: "Mr Hung's Science Homework".

(And there were plenty more after that.)

Summary: good, relevant practice questions are only a few clicks away via Google.

No, that is NOT your "best hope" -- it's the road to poor results.

Try the alternative suggestions above.

I browsed through some of the questions in the papers, but they seem to be easier than the tests we undertake at our school! Also, a lot of our questions have emphasis on application of theoretical knowledge, rather than rote memorisation of the topics if you will.

Regarding the sample questions you've posted... are they ones that you're not currently sure of the answers? Or have you now done some googling to check your answers?

Btw, regarding Galvanisation is indeed a way to prevent rusting of iron, but your explanation is incomplete. There's a galvanic effect (cathodic or sacrificial protection) whereby zinc corrodes in preference to the iron.

Likes DifferentialGalois
strangerep said:
Regarding the sample questions you've posted... are they ones that you're not currently sure of the answers? Or have you now done some googling to check your answers?

Btw, regarding Galvanisation is indeed a way to prevent rusting of iron, but your explanation is incomplete. There's a galvanic effect (cathodic or sacrificial protection) whereby zinc corrodes in preference to the iron.

Why do notifications seem not to show on my bell? *sighs*

And regarding the sample questions I've posted, I put them to shed some light on the nature and difficulty of some of the problems I encounter during the test. The answers I put are reflective of how I might've answered them during a test, and gone through the process prior of thinking it out.

DifferentialGalois said:
I browsed through some of the questions in the papers, but they seem to be easier than the tests we undertake at our school! Also, a lot of our questions have emphasis on application of theoretical knowledge, rather than rote memorisation of the topics if you will.
OK -- that's actually good. You can just bump your Google searches to higher years and stop when you find a level that's more difficult than your classes.

It's also very good that your school is placing an emphasis on application of technical knowledge. But don't stop searching for online resources -- you just need to find the right type and level.

Rote memorization is not necessarily a bad thing, provided you remember it's not the only thing. It won't hurt to make sure you can indeed do the "rote" style of tests. You can't apply basic facts if you don't know the basic facts. :oldwink:

• Informative
Likes DifferentialGalois
strangerep said:

Yes, now that I look back on it, it is an incomplete explanation, but that's probably all my mind would have managed to think up of during the exam. :/

DifferentialGalois said:
Why do notifications seem not to show on my bell? *sighs*
Probably something not configured correctly in your profile. Ask in the PF Feedback forum if you can't figure it out.

And regarding the sample questions I've posted, I put them to shed some light on the nature and difficulty of some of the problems I encounter during the test. The answers I put are reflective of how I might've answered them during a test, and gone through the process prior of thinking it out.
OK, good.

Likes DifferentialGalois
I wrote:

[...] regarding Galvanisation is indeed a way to prevent rusting of iron, but your explanation is incomplete. There's a galvanic effect (cathodic or sacrificial protection) whereby zinc corrodes in preference to the iron.

I'll add a bit more to my answer above, because it enables me to illustrate something else.

Another way to prevent rusting of iron is to add certain other elements. E.g., adding carbon to produce steel (which still rusts), but adding chromium and nickel (among other things) gives stainless steel, which is far more rust-resistant. Adding molybdenum gives "marine grade" stainless steel, which is better in salty environments.

Then there's "passivation" of the stainless steel, using an acid to remove free iron from the surface (so that the new surface is predominantly chromium and nickel). Also "pickling" which removes contaminants left when steel is welded.

Anyway, the reason I mention this is to illustrate how one's understanding of such things can become ever deeper the further one advances in science. In this "rust" case, a deeper knowledge of chemistry helps to show why galvanization works, and a still higher level will go into detail about electron shells around nuclei and how that structure facilitates preferential oxidation by the sacrificial zinc coating. Similarly, higher levels of knowledge reveal why adding small quantities of other elements (chromium, nickel, etc) to iron can prevent oxidation. Then there's the quantum theory all about energy bands in solids, and so on.

So what am I really trying to illustrate here? Science gradually becomes much more fascinating as one delves deeper. Don't let the (comparatively) boring low level treatments in early high school put you off pressing onward and upward. :oldsmile:

• Informative
Likes etotheipi, sysprog and DifferentialGalois
Aside from the main topic, the Notifications Failure is happening to other members too.

Likes DifferentialGalois
symbolipoint said:
Aside from the main topic, the Notifications Failure is happening to other members too.
And now, the notifications have restarted , at least for me.

strangerep said:
The question is worth 1 mark and you have outlined (prompt word) 1 way in which galvanisation prevents rusting so you get the mark. If it was 2 marks and the prompt word was describe you might expect something more. Getting marks in exams is not about writing everything you know about a subject, it is about providing the examiner with an answer that fits the question.

Likes DifferentialGalois and vela
pbuk said:
The question is worth 1 mark and you have outlined (prompt word) 1 way in which galvanisation prevents rusting so you get the mark. If it was 2 marks and the prompt word was describe you might expect something more. Getting marks in exams is not about writing everything you know about a subject, it is about providing the examiner with an answer that fits the question.

That was my primary reason for providing the short answer, but it slipped my mind when I was discussing it.

Likes pbuk