Why Do Lights Appear to Shine?

• Thread starter VoidChimera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lights
In summary, some people believe that the spikes in lights are caused by diffraction from eyelashes, while others believe that the spikes are caused by the particles in the eye.
VoidChimera
I'm not sure this is the intended section for this question, but I couldn't find a better one, so here it goes: Why do lights shine?

By this I mean, when you see a light, particularly in the dark, it seems to have lines/spikes extending out from it, outside the bounds of the source itself. Anyone know why this happens?
I'm not really talking about the 'glow' around lights (unless it's the same effect), also I included a quick sketch to show what I'm talking about
Edit: Not talking about with a camera, just when looking at it normally

Attachments

• Sketch300222340.png
    Sketch300222340.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 484
Science news on Phys.org
like this?
The_sun1.jpg

Color_image_of_galaxy_cluster_MCS_J0416.1–2403.jpg

or the big red star on the lower right?

Well either way I was wondering a while ago why that was never found a reason yet...

In reflector telescopes the support struts interfere with the light received and act to defract it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_spike

Similarly, the particles in the eye do the same thing.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ophthalmology-Optometry-979/2012/5/rays-light-radiating-light.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes davenn
jerromyjon said:
or the big red star on the lower right?

Telescopic views are a different issue
you will see that in telescopes that have spider mounts for the secondary mirrors
like Newtonian style scopes

you can produce the same effect in a camera pic of streetlights by using a high aperture setting ... around f18 - f30

visually ( eyes only) I would have thought it would have been caused primarily by dust, mist other aerosols in the air between the light and the eye

lets see what others say :)

Last edited:
Some people say that holding their eyelid open with their fingers, so that neither the eyelid nor the eyelashes are in the path of the oncoming light entering your pupil, the spikes go away. I could see part of this being caused by diffraction from eyelashes.

I've also noticed that if my glasses are smudged slightly then I will sometimes get spikes.

They are always aligned parallel and perpendicular to the Earth. 4 main spikes, nothing I can do makes them go away looking out the window at a streetlight right now I see it. The brighter the light appears the longer they are.

jerromyjon said:
nothing I can do makes them go away looking out the window at a streetlight right now I see it.

closed window ? ie. through the glass ?

if so ... open the window and try again and then consider the last sentence in Drakkith's last post

I always see these! I've always had perfect vision (until recently, slightly far-sighted now), on a clear night free from light pollution looking at the stars in the sky the brighter the magnitude the longer and thicker at the source the spikes are. And as I mentioned in a previous post they stay oriented to the Earth regardless of turning my head. I remember at a very young age thinking they were caused by Earth's magnetic field but I have yet to find a satisfactory explanation.

When I lean my head they stay orientated to my head not the planet. In the case of bright lights I assumed this was diffraction spikes from eyelashes. Too cloudy here tonight to try with stars.

I just thought about looking straight up and hopefully see some deviation that adds any insight on a clear night.

1. Why do lights appear to shine?

Lights appear to shine because of a process called emission. When an object is heated, it emits light in the form of photons. These photons travel in waves and when they reach our eyes, they are interpreted as light.

2. Do all lights shine in the same way?

No, not all lights shine in the same way. The intensity, color, and type of light emitted depend on the temperature and material of the source. For example, an incandescent light bulb emits a different type of light than a fluorescent light bulb.

3. Can lights shine without a source?

No, lights cannot shine without a source. In order for light to be emitted, there must be a source such as the sun, a light bulb, or a candle. Without a source, there is no emission of photons and therefore no shining light.

4. Why do lights appear brighter in the dark?

Lights appear brighter in the dark because there is less ambient light to compete with. When there is a lot of ambient light, such as during the day, the light from a source may not seem as bright. But in the dark, the light from a source is more noticeable and appears brighter.

5. How do we see lights that are far away?

We are able to see lights that are far away because light travels in straight lines and does not disperse. This means that even though the light source may be far away, the photons it emits can still reach our eyes without being dispersed or scattered by the atmosphere.