Why Do My Pulley System Calculations Differ From My Teacher's Measurements?

In summary: F1 = ##\frac{1.96cos(θ)}{cos(θ)sin(Φ)+sin(θ)cos(Φ)} ##NandF2 = ##\frac{1.96cos(Φ)}{cos(θ)sin(Φ)+sin(θ)cos(Φ)} ##NCorrect?
MironeDagains

Homework Statement

There's a 200g piece of weight hanging by a string. That string is then split into two strings, each at θ from the horizontal and Φ from the horizontal. These two strings are each connected to force sensors which measure their tension in Newtons. I know how to do this problem, as it's a simple trigonometric or pythagoras problem. The problem I'm having, is the fact that my answers are completely different to what my teacher got. She actually used real sensors and wrote down what she saw when she tested each θ and Φ.
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, or maybe my teacher's force sensor is faulty. You decide.
Here's a diagram: http://i.imgur.com/439esTg.png

Homework Equations

F=mg
sin(θ)x0.2kgx9.8=NF1
sin(Φ)x0.2kgx9.8=NF2
Triangles, sin cos tan

The Attempt at a Solution

F1: sin θ x 0.2kg x 9.8
F2: sin Φ x 0.2kg x 9.8
Here's an image of my method. Please let me know whether it's correct or not. http://i.imgur.com/LTbo8Q9.jpg I cannot reproduce them as words here, as they are almost all diagrams.
Note: The columns "Force F1 measured", "Angle θ", "Force F2 measured" and "Angle Φ" were already pre-filled when I was handed this worksheet. The only things I filled in were the "Force F1 calculated" and "Force F2 calculated". You will notice how incredibly 'off' my calculated measurements are from her measured measurements.
So, am I going insane? Or does my teacher need to invest in a new force sensor?
Thank you

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    9 KB · Views: 497
Physics news on Phys.org
MironeDagains said:
F1: sin θ x 0.2kg x 9.8
F2: sin Φ x 0.2kg x 9.8

Those aren't correct. What would happen if you make both strings vertical so that θ = Φ = 90? Try it and you will see it's wrong.

The 200g mass is stationary (not accelerating) so what does that say about the net horizontal and vertical forces acting on it?

CWatters said:
Those aren't correct. What would happen if you make both strings vertical so that θ = Φ = 90? Try it and you will see it's wrong.

But that's exactly the steps taken to solve 2 very similar (practically identical) problems in my physics book?? Look: http://i.imgur.com/nqK5TTY.png what am I missing here?
CWatters said:
The 200g mass is stationary (not accelerating) so what does that say about the net horizontal and vertical forces acting on it?

The sum of horizontal forces are equal to zero, and the sum of the vertical forces equal zero. Right?

In the sample problems, the weight was divided equally between the two strings. Why is that not the case in this problem?

Edit: nevermind. There is no time to wait for a reply. Admins, please delete this thread.

Last edited:
What you are calling F1 is actually the component of the weight that's in the direction of string 1. Similar for F2 and string 2.

What you actually need is the vertical component of F1 added to the vertical component of F2 to equal the weight.

And as you stated earlier you need the following to be true.
MironeDagains said:
The sum of horizontal forces are equal to zero,
That is the horizontal component of F1 needs to be equal in magnitude to the horizontal component of F2 .

MironeDagains said:
Edit: nevermind. There is no time to wait for a reply. Admins, please delete this thread.
The thread may still have value for others, if only in showing how careful you have to be in assuming the same equations for set-ups that are not identical.
Consider the junction between the three strings. There are three forces acting on this point. Apply the usual statics equation in each of the horizontal and vertical directions, ##\Sigma F = 0##.

By the way, your teacher's force sensors look to be working pretty well.

F1 = ##\frac{1.96cos(θ)}{cos(θ)sin(Φ)+sin(θ)cos(Φ)} ##N

and

F2 = ##\frac{1.96cos(Φ)}{cos(θ)sin(Φ)+sin(θ)cos(Φ)} ##N

Correct?
My answers are much closer to my teacher's now. Which means it is correct.

MironeDagains said:

and

Correct?
Yes, those look right. You can simplify the denominator a bit.

MironeDagains said:

and

Correct?

Are F1 and F2 reversed from your worksheet?

insightful said:
Good catch.

insightful said:

Reversed? Well, F1 is pointing to the left and F2 is pointing to the right. As shown in the diagram.

MironeDagains said:
Reversed? Well, F1 is pointing to the left and F2 is pointing to the right. As shown in the diagram.
Okay, then phi and theta are reversed in your numerators. Re-do a calculation using your above formulas.

insightful said:
Okay, then phi and theta are reversed in your numerators.

Yes, they are.

insightful said:
Re-do a calculation using your above formulas.

What? What's that supposed to mean? I already did the calculations, using my new equations, and got answers that were very close to my teacher's. What are you telling me to change and 're-do'?

MironeDagains said:
Yes, they are.
What? What's that supposed to mean? I already did the calculations, using my new equations, and got answers that were very close to my teacher's. What are you telling me to change and 're-do'?
When I use your equations, I get the results for F1 and F2 reversed. When I switch phi and theta in the numerators in your equations, I get the correct answers.

Related to Why Do My Pulley System Calculations Differ From My Teacher's Measurements?

1. What is a force pulley?

A force pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a force pulley work?

A force pulley works by using the principle of mechanical advantage. By changing the direction of the force, it reduces the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. The more pulleys that are used in a system, the greater the mechanical advantage and the easier it becomes to lift the object.

3. What are the components of a basic force pulley?

The basic components of a force pulley include a wheel with a groove, a rope or cable, and a support structure to hold the pulley in place. Some pulleys may also have additional features such as bearings or hooks for attaching the rope or cable.

4. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a force pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a force pulley system can be calculated by counting the number of ropes supporting the load and subtracting one. For example, if there are three ropes supporting the load, the mechanical advantage would be 3-1=2. This means that the force needed to lift the load is half of the weight of the object.

5. What are some common uses of force pulleys?

Force pulleys are commonly used in lifting and moving heavy objects, such as in construction or manufacturing. They are also used in rescue operations and in the design of exercise equipment. In addition, force pulleys are often used in combination with other simple machines to create more complex mechanical systems.