Why do nonmetals and halogens tend to become anions?

• Thread starter aniseed
  • Start date
In summary, the periodic table reflects the electron configuration and orbital filling of atoms, leading to a trend where elements on the upper right tend to become anions and elements on the bottom left tend to become cations. This is due to the stability of electron configurations and the efficiency of electrons in screening nuclear charge. However, the question of "why" may not have a definitive answer as science is better at explaining "how."
aniseed
TL;DR Summary
Generally speaking the elements in the top right side of the periodic table (the nonmetals and halogens) tend to form anions. Why is this? Is there some fundamental underlying reason?
My niece is in her first year of public high school in Japan, and her science textbook introduces the concept of elements, atomic number and charge, then shows the periodic table. It states that elements in the upper right hand side of the periodic table tend be become anions, and elements in the bottom left hand side tend to become cations, without giving any explanation about why this is.

So my niece asked me 'why' and the best I can come up with is 'because that's probably a side-effect of how the periodic table is structured'. I am not a chem major, my background is engineering. The only chem book I've read is Theodore Gray's excellent coffee table book, 'The Elements'.

I'm attaching a photo of the relevant section from her textbook in case it's of any use.

Attachments

• IMG_6059.jpg
    IMG_6059.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 302
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Periodic table reflects the electron configuration of the atoms and how their orbitals are filled. Some configurations are more stable than others and the trend she asks about has its source in the way electron configurations and the periodic table are related. I suppose she will later learn some basic ideas of quantum chemistry and then things will become more clear.

That being said "why?" question is dangerous, we often can't answer it - science is much better at answering the question "how?".

Likes jim mcnamara
The electrons in atoms are ordered in shells, which reflects in the ordering of the periodic system.
While atoms of elements to the left (typically metalls, like sodium, calcium or aluminium) contain only few electrons in an open shell, for elements on the right (typically non-metals, like nitrogen, oxygen or chlorine) of the periodic table, the shells are nearly full. Electrons within one shell are not very efficient in screening each other from the nuclear charge. Hence the outer electrons of non-metals are more tightly bound to the nucleus than in metals and this will also hold true for additional electrons in anions.
On the other hand, electrons of metals are more easily removed so that these elements form preferentially cations.
Also take in mind that cations and anions are usually not more stable in an absolute sense (i.e. sodium does not ionize spontaneously) but only in compounds containing both elements from the left and right of the table.

1. Why do nonmetals tend to become anions?

Nonmetals tend to become anions because they have a high electronegativity, meaning they have a strong attraction for electrons. This makes it easier for them to gain electrons and form negatively charged ions, or anions.

2. What is the difference between nonmetals and metals in terms of ion formation?

The main difference between nonmetals and metals in terms of ion formation is their electronegativity. Nonmetals have a higher electronegativity and tend to gain electrons to form anions, while metals have a lower electronegativity and tend to lose electrons to form cations.

3. Why do halogens have a strong tendency to become anions?

Halogens have a strong tendency to become anions because they have seven valence electrons, which is one electron short of a complete outer shell. By gaining one electron, they can achieve a stable octet configuration, making them more stable and less reactive.

4. What is the relationship between the number of valence electrons and the tendency to form anions?

The relationship between the number of valence electrons and the tendency to form anions is that elements with fewer than four valence electrons tend to lose electrons to form cations, while elements with more than four valence electrons tend to gain electrons to form anions. This is because elements with four valence electrons have a stable octet configuration and do not need to gain or lose electrons to become stable.

5. How does the formation of anions affect the properties of nonmetals and halogens?

The formation of anions affects the properties of nonmetals and halogens by making them more reactive and increasing their electronegativity. Anions also tend to have larger atomic radii and are more likely to form ionic bonds with other elements, leading to the formation of compounds with different properties than the individual elements.