Why do our bodies stay neutral after combing our hair?

In summary: When you comb your hair or take off a shirt and it rubs against your hair electrons are transferred from you to the object, or the other way around perhaps, but most the time they jump back in order to even out the charge. In summary, when trillions of electrons go missing, your body is able to maintain a neutral charge by transferring electrons from your hair to the object.
Efast
**This is more a general understanding question rather than a homework question**
1. Homework Statement

So when you comb your hair trillions of electrons get transferred from your hair to your comb. So when trillions of electrons go missing how is your body able to maintain a neutral charge?

Homework Equations

I'm not certain that your body maintains a neutral charge; it was just said by my teacher in class.

The Attempt at a Solution

Perhaps because your grounded?
With respects to the size and amount of electrons, perhaps a trillion of them is not very many so your body can balance it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have heard "crackling" from your comb? In dry weather in winter?

Even with millions of electrons being transferred from you to the comb it is pretty insignificant as a single electron has a minuscule charge and even millions do not make a huge difference
When you comb your hair or take off a shirt and it rubs against your hair electrons are transferred from you to the object, or the other way around perhaps, but most the time they jump back in order to even out the charge
This is wear static electricity comes from
It is not always felt as most the time the electrons are too few to cause any physical sensation but in cases like this there are enough to at least cause one to hear a soft crackling while combing their hair
So in short the charges will automatically balance and the electrons will hope from object to object in order to do so

Efast said:
Perhaps because your grounded?
Certainly, if you are grounded that would explain it easily.
Even if you are not grounded, there will always be ions in the air around you. If you become positively charged, what will happen?

The hair raising demo with a Van De Graaff is done while the student stands on an insulating platform.

Haven't you ever rubbed your shoes on the carpet, and touched somebody's hand to give them a static shock? Your body is definitely storing charge.

It is fairly common for electronics companies to provide a budget for employee training and static protective gear (grounding, treated smocks, ionizers, static safe containers, etc.) to prevent damage to electronic components from static discharge. The voltage generated by certain simple tasks can be surprisingly high. Below is a sample I found. I believe it was saying that a 3000 V static shock is too low to even be felt. But some static-sensitive components can be damaged by much lesser voltages.

Walking across a carpet: 1,500 to 35,000 Volts
Crossing your legs: 300 Volts
Walking over an untreated vinyl floor: 250-12,000 Volts
Working at a bench: 700-6,000 Volts
Vinyl envelope for work instructions: 600-7,000 Volts
Picking up common plastic bag from bench: 1,200 - 20,000 Volts
Work chair padded with polyurethane foam: 1,500 - 18,000 Volts
Touching a door knob or metal object: 1,500 to 35,000 Volts
Standing up from a chair: hundreds of Volts

Likes DrClaude
I would think that scuffing your shoes on the carpet and drawing a spark comes about by the insulating shoes getting charged and inducing a charge on your body, that is by pushing the conduction electrons away from your feet.
You can then draw a spark from a sharp point on your body by sticking your finger out.

Efast said:
So when you comb your hair trillions of electrons get transferred from your hair to your comb. So when trillions of electrons go missing how is your body able to maintain a neutral charge?

I'm not certain that your body maintains a neutral charge; it was just said by my teacher in class.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know a lot about the process of static generation. I was addressing whether or not the body can hold a charge. But perhaps the point your teacher was making was that in the case of combing your hair, your hair and the comb and your body all make up a closed circuit and therefore, the overall net gain/loss is neutral. That may be a valid point.

1. Why do we experience static after combing our hair?

When we comb our hair, we create friction between the comb and our hair. This friction causes electrons to be transferred from one object to another. The hair, being a good insulator, holds onto these extra electrons, making it negatively charged. This excess of electrons creates static electricity, resulting in the familiar feeling of static in our hair.

2. How does our hair become neutral after combing?

Our bodies have a natural tendency to maintain a state of electrical neutrality. This means that when our hair becomes negatively charged from the friction of combing, our body will try to neutralize this charge. The excess electrons in our hair will be attracted to any positively charged objects nearby, such as our skin or the air, until the overall charge of our hair becomes balanced.

3. Why do some people experience more static than others after combing their hair?

The amount of static we experience after combing our hair can depend on several factors. One factor is the type of comb we use - plastic combs tend to create more friction and therefore more static than metal combs. Another factor is the humidity in the air - dry air allows for better transfer of electrons, leading to more static. Additionally, different hair types can also play a role in the amount of static experienced.

4. Can combing our hair too much be harmful to our bodies?

Combing our hair too much can cause damage to our hair strands, but it is not harmful to our bodies. The static electricity created from combing is a natural and temporary occurrence, and our bodies have mechanisms in place to neutralize it. However, excessive combing can lead to hair breakage and damage, so it is important to be gentle when combing our hair.

5. How can we prevent or reduce static after combing our hair?

There are a few ways to prevent or reduce static after combing our hair. One is to use a metal comb instead of a plastic one, as metal is a better conductor and creates less friction. Another option is to lightly wet our hair before combing, as water can help dissipate static electricity. Additionally, using a leave-in conditioner or anti-static spray can help reduce static in our hair.