Why do resistors have polarity?

In summary, when first learning about resistors in intro physics, polarity was not a factor. However, in electrical circuits class, resistors with polarity are introduced. The polarity simply indicates the direction of current through the resistor. In a series circuit, the polarities of the resistors alternate between + and -, while in a parallel circuit, all resistors have the same polarity. The textbook may have shown a misprint in the diagram, but it serves as a reference for the variables v1 and v2, which do not necessarily correspond to the actual polarities of the resistors. In more complex circuits, the reference polarities may seem counterintuitive, but it helps to think in more abstract terms.
goonking

Homework Statement

When I took intro physics, resistors didn't have polarity.

Now, in electrical circuits class, we start seeing resistors with polarity.

For example, this diagram in our textbook:
upload_2016-3-1_21-46-47.png

My professor insist that this problem had a misprint/typo: the polarity on the 2 ohm resistor should be reversed because "the current flow cannot go backwards when it reaches the 2 ohm resistor".
My questions are

1) why did the textbook bother showing the polarity of the resistors if it wasn't possible to have the arrangement of this diagram?

2) if my professor is wrong, and the book is correct, In this case, is one of the resistors resisting the current flow and the other resistor is "un-resisting" the current flow (ie: "speeding up" the flow)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
goonking said:
My professor insist that this problem had a misprint/typo: the polarity on the 2 ohm resistor should be reversed because "the current flow cannot go backwards when it reaches the 2 ohm resistor".
Your professor is right. The polarity of resistor simply indicates the direction of current through it, which is from + to -.

Likes goonking
cnh1995 said:
Your professor is right. The polarity of resistor simply indicates the direction of current through it, which is from + to -.
if the circuit had a bunch of resistors, would the polarities of all the resistors be the same?

goonking said:
the other resistor is "un-resisting" the current flow (ie: "speeding up" the flow)?
No resistor speeds up the current. Resistors always oppose the current.

goonking said:
if the circuit had a bunch of resistors, would the polarities of all the resistors be the same?
That depends on how they are connected with respect to the sources. Current enters at + terminal and leaves at - terminal.

cnh1995 said:
cnh1995 said:
That depends on how they are connected with respect to the sources. Current enters at + terminal and leaves at - terminal.
in a series, like the case i posted above. If I add 10 more resistors to that circuit, they would be all have the same polarity, correct?

Do the +/- signs indicate the orientation of the measured voltages v1, v2 (akin to the choosing the arrowhead to indicate the positive x-axis)?

Likes CWatters and vela
goonking said:

My questions are

1) why did the textbook bother showing the polarity of the resistors if it wasn't possible to have the arrangement of this diagram?
It's not the polarity of the resistors. The signs indicate the how the potential drops are defined.

2) if my professor is wrong, and the book is correct, In this case, is one of the resistors resisting the current flow and the other resistor is "un-resisting" the current flow (ie: "speeding up" the flow)?
I wouldn't say the book is wrong or that it's a typo. The voltage v2 is simply going to be negative because of the way it's defined.

Likes davenn
goonking said:
in a series, like the case i posted above. If I add 10 more resistors to that circuit, they would be all have the same polarity, correct?
For series circuit, the polarity would be + - + - + - and so on. For parallel resistors, polarity of all the resistors is same.

Maybe this is a better way to describe what I think the notation means:

Clarifying earlier posts...
it's not about the polarities of the resistors
but the polarities of the voltmeters whose readouts are then assigned to variables v1, v2, etc

Last edited:
With this apparently being an introductory textbook for basic electronics, I'd side with your professor in saying it probably is a typo, though it's no big deal if it isn't.

I'm wondering whether you have tried to calculate the magnitude of the current through the resistors here?

Can you provide more information?
Author, title, and edition?

Is there a textbook equation (Kirchhoff) using v1 and v2 that goes along with that diagram?
(Are there other diagrams with corresponding equations?)

robphy said:
Do the +/- signs indicate the orientation of the measured voltages v1, v2 (akin to the choosing the arrowhead to indicate the positive x-axis)?

Yes it could be that or a typo as NascentOxygen suggested.When you come to analyse more complicated circuits it's not always possible to know at the start which way the current is flowing through all the resistors. The trick is to define what you mean by positive by marking up the circuit and solve the equations to work out the voltages. If some turn out to be negative that means the current is actually flowing the other way.

goonking said:
why did the textbook bother showing the polarity of the resistors if it wasn't possible to have the arrangement of this diagram?
Your professor apparently doesn't know basic circuit theory. It's like @vela wrote, the polarities of the resistors aren't those of the actual elements in the circuit. They're the reference polarities of the variables v1 and v2.

Let's say you didn't show a polarity for v1, but you just wrote v1 over the resistor without any reference polarity. If I told you v1 was some positive value, would that mean the left terminal of the resistor was at a higher potential than the right? Would it mean the opposite? The reference polarity makes it unambiguous.

The references might look goofy to you since you have some intuition about the current direction in the circuit, but they're still perfectly valid. As you start learning circuit theory, you'll see a bunch of these types of circuits, where everything seems turned around, precisely to teach you to think in more abstract terms, which will help you avoid mistakes when trying to solve complex circuits.

goonking said:
if my professor is wrong, and the book is correct, In this case, is one of the resistors resisting the current flow and the other resistor is "un-resisting" the current flow (ie: "speeding up" the flow)?
If you solve the circuit, v1 will be positive and v2 will be negative with the current going clockwise around the circuit, so both resistors will consume power, as passive devices must.

Once we've dealt with the likely intention of the polarity label on each resistor, would anyone like to guess what exactly is intended by the voltage source we see on the right? :eek:

NascentOxygen said:
Once we've dealt with the likely intention of the polarity label on each resistor, would anyone like to guess what exactly is intended by the voltage source we see on the right? :eek:
Can you explain what problem(s) you see with the OP's circuit?

The voltage source on the right has the polarity shown with a value of -8 V. What's the issue?

NascentOxygen said:

To confuse the student.

since some of you guys wanted to see the question

from Fundamentals of Electric Circuits (5th ed)

upload_2016-3-4_12-38-33.png

goonking said:
since some of you guys wanted to see the question
The textbook answers confirm that the diagram is quite correct, there are no mistakes in the labelling. So when you clip a voltmeter across either resistor by attaching the voltmeter's red probe to the + resistor label and the black probe to the resistor's - label, the voltmeter will give the reading (and associated polarity) as in the textbook answers.

So your professor's claim is disproved.

If you were to swap the + and - signs on either resistor, you will need to amend the textbook's answer by changing its sign.

NascentOxygen said:
The textbook answers confirm that the diagram is all correct, there are no mistakes in the labelling. So when you clip a voltmeter across a resistor by attaching the voltmeter's red probe to the + resistor label and the black probe to the resistor's - label, the voltmeter will give the readings (and associated polarities) indicated.

So your professor's claim is disproved.

If you were to swap the + and - signs on either resistor, you will need to amend the textbook's answer by changing its sign.
my professor swapped the signs of the 2 ohm resistor, and the answers he got were both positive : 16 V and 8 V

goonking said:
my professor swapped the signs of the 2 ohm resistor, and the answers he got were both positive : 16 V and 8 V
Sure, he can certainly alter any textbook question or diagram if he wishes.

However, you as a student don't have such liberty to go altering the questions in an exam situation---you must answer the question as presented. :smile:

Likes goonking
so basically, the polarities of the resistors are only important when using Kirchhoff's laws? (separating the circuit into loops)

Resistors don't have polarities. The + and - signs refer to the voltage drop across them in the circuit. If you turn a resistor around they don't move.

goonking said:
so basically, the polarities of the resistors are only important when using Kirchhoff's laws? (separating the circuit into loops)
The polarity of the assumed potential across any element is important in circuit analysis.

The polarity is also important when you may be about to connect a meter or to connect another element. Some meters must always be connected so that the red probe is always more positive than the black probe----there could be damage to the meter movement if this is not observed.

As others have pointed out, ordinary resistors are not manufactured to need one end more positive than the other (they would be useless for AC if this were true!). The polarity marked near resistor ends on your circuit indicates the assumed polarity of the potential across that resistor. So where a voltage is designated v2 the + sign indicates the end where that voltage is measured referenced to the - end. (An alternative way to designate assumed polarity is with an arrow across the resistor, the arrowhead serving the same purpose as the + sign.)

goonking said:
The reference polarities are always arbitrary. As an example, here's your circuit with some references assigned that I just picked out to personal taste (you can pick them completely at random if you so choose):

schematic.png

KVL going clockwise with voltage drops counted positive:
$$-v_a + v_b + v_c + v_d = 0, \quad (1)$$
The element law for the resistor is (passive sign convention):
$$v = Ri$$
The solution to this equation is only correct if you have the reference current going into the positive end of the polarity of the reference voltage. You must never, ever apply it otherwise.

You have then:
$$
v_b = R_1 i \quad (2)\\
v_d = R_2 i \quad (3)
$$
The solution to the system of ##(1),(2),(3)## always gives correct results. You just have to figure out what ##v_a,v_b,v_c,v_d## are for your particular circuit. In your case, they're:
$$
v_a = 32\,\mathrm{V}, v_b = v_1, v_c = 8\,\mathrm{V}, v_d = -v_2
$$

1. Why do resistors have polarity?

Resistors have polarity because they are made up of a material with a specific resistance. This material is typically a long, thin wire or film that is wrapped around a core. The direction of the current flow and the material used can affect the resistance of the resistor, therefore creating polarity.

2. How does polarity affect the function of a resistor?

The polarity of a resistor determines the direction of the current flow and affects the amount of resistance in the circuit. This can impact the overall function of the circuit and the amount of current that is allowed to flow through the resistor.

3. Can I use a resistor with reversed polarity?

In most cases, using a resistor with reversed polarity will not work properly and can potentially damage the circuit. This is because the resistance value and current flow will be affected, leading to inaccurate results or a complete malfunction.

4. How do I determine the polarity of a resistor?

The polarity of a resistor can be determined by looking at the color bands on the resistor. The bands indicate the resistance value and tolerance, as well as the direction of the current flow. In some cases, the polarity may also be indicated by a + or - symbol.

5. Are there any exceptions to resistors having polarity?

There are some types of resistors, such as non-polarized capacitors and resistors with symmetrical designs, that do not have polarity. These types of resistors can be used in either direction without affecting their function. However, it is always important to check the specifications and markings to determine if a resistor has polarity or not.