Why do some dogs have floppy ears?

• Thread starter codcodo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dogs
In summary, the reason certain breeds of dogs have floppy ears is due to the domestication and breeding for tameness. This theory is regarded as a myth by some, who suggest that the trait has been passed down from wolves with floppy ears. However, there is not much evidence to support this theory. Some studies have been done on domestication of silver foxes, but not much is mentioned about floppy ears. The goal of these studies was to breed for tameness, and other changes in behavior and coat quality also occurred. The reason some dogs have non-floppy ears is still a topic of interest and could possibly be due to later breeding with wolves.
codcodo
Why do certain breeds of dogs have floppy ears? One theory states that it is the result domestication and breeding for tameness. However, a friend of mine who happens to be an anthropology major regards this theory as a myth. He claims that there are breed of wolves with floppy ears. Hence the trait (floppy ears) has been passed in those dog breeds with floppy ears. Can somebody shed some light on this.

Biology news on Phys.org
codcodo said:
Why do certain breeds of dogs have floppy ears? One theory states that it is the result domestication and breeding for tameness. However, a friend of mine who happens to be an anthropology major regards this theory as a myth. He claims that there are breed of wolves with floppy ears. Hence the trait (floppy ears) has been passed in those dog breeds with floppy ears. Can somebody shed some light on this.
Can't say for sure, but domestication is done to cultivate traits that humans want the breed to have, and many things come along with this breeding including many forms of immaturity compared to the wolf. One of these kinds of immaturity is floppy ears. Another is less fear of humans.

Some breeding studies were done several decades ago in eastern europe on Silver Foxes. Try to read what you can find on this.

symbolipoint said:
Some breeding studies were done several decades ago in eastern europe on Silver Foxes. Try to read what you can find on this.
I tried. But my research suggests that floppy ears and silver foxes are mutually exclusive.
1440141502078.jpg

Attachments

• 1440141502078.jpg
    1440141502078.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 559
Likes BillTre
I tried. But my research suggests that floppy ears and silver foxes are mutually exclusive.

You're probably correct. I did not realize that your focus is only on floppy ears of dogs. I was being more general and it was not clear to me that those foxes still had erect ears. Keep on searching and you will surely find something about floppy ears of domestic dogs.

You should ask your friend for some references or support for his theory.
The domestication of dogs has been very well studied and @symbolipoint's explanation is close to the scientific consensus.

A more interesting question to me is why some dogs have non-floppy ears.
Maybe due to later breeding with wolves?

Regarding domestifcation of foxes, this is the best I can find right now:

Not much is shown or mentioned about floppy ears - almost nothing. The documentary is still very interesting, at least regarding breeding studies on foxes. The goal was to breed for tameness, and after a few years, many behavior and coat quality changes also occurred.

1. Why do some dogs have floppy ears?

Floppy ears in dogs are a result of genetics. Some breeds are born with floppy ears due to a specific gene that codes for the ear cartilage to be less stiff, causing the ears to droop. This trait is more common in certain breeds, such as Basset Hounds and Cocker Spaniels.

2. Do floppy ears serve any purpose for dogs?

Floppy ears do not serve any specific purpose for dogs. However, some experts believe that floppy ears may have served an evolutionary advantage for certain breeds by allowing them to have better hearing and locate prey more easily.

3. Can dogs with floppy ears have hearing problems?

Although floppy ears do not directly cause hearing problems, they can increase the risk of ear infections. This is because the floppy ears can trap moisture and dirt, creating a warm and moist environment for bacteria to grow. Regular ear cleaning and maintenance can help prevent ear infections in dogs with floppy ears.

4. Do all puppies of a breed with floppy ears have floppy ears?

Not all puppies of a breed with floppy ears will have floppy ears themselves. This is because ear shape and size can vary within a litter and is determined by genetics. Some puppies may inherit the gene for floppy ears, while others may not.

5. Can floppy ears be corrected in dogs?

Floppy ears in dogs cannot be corrected without surgery. However, there is no medical need to do so, and it is not recommended unless the dog is experiencing severe ear infections or discomfort. Floppy ears do not affect a dog's overall health or quality of life.