Why do Squirrels Love Aluminum?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Sanborn Chase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminum Love
In summary: These migrations typically last from one to two weeks, but can sometimes last as long as four or five weeks.I haven't seen them do this in recent years, but I've seen them migrate in the past. Every few years they'll move around for a little while.Squirrels migrating every few years? That's new to me.
Sanborn Chase
Gold Member
Does anyone know why squirrels gnaw on aluminum?

Biology news on Phys.org
Sanborn Chase said:
What have you found in your reading? And anecdotally, I've never seen them do this. What state/country are you in?

If you'll type in"squirrels eating aluminum" in Google you'll see many people are experiencing this, but there are no explanations. They're eating siding, lawn furniture, fence ties, gutters, even power lines. They've cut my power many times; we had to go with copper. Some say they eat that and lead, too, but I've not seen that. I'm in the southeast U.S.

Sanborn Chase said:
Because it is a soft metal and helps them control the size of their teeth without chipping them.

More appropriately, I should say that it is because it is one of many materials that are neither too hard nor too soft for them to use to control the growth of their teeth.

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2, Sanborn Chase and berkeman
Yes, that seems to be the obvious answer, but another body of evidence points to their need for aluminum oxide or other metal oxides, perhaps in an effort to control a botfly infestation. The linemen swear they don't go for the new aluminum. My experience is limited to the eastern grays (Sciurus carolinensis).
Mr. Phinds!: it's so nice to hear from you again. My, you do soar above us like an intellectual eagle. Perhaps we should see about little squirrel implants...dental.

As an aside: Aluminum salts (some of them) like AlCl3, are extremely toxic. Aluminum is not a required nutrient for mammals AFAIK.
High aluminum levels in water causes neural plaques to form in mammalian brain tissue. Humans can have this happen as well.

[partial answer]
Squirrel incisors have a very hard dentine layer toward the front, and softer dentine in back. As they gnaw something like wood and apparently aluminum metal, it sharpens the incisor, by differential wear. Those teeth grow constantly, and without gnawing activity their jaws would eventually be held wide open. This is why guinea pigs, rabbits, and other related animals that have incisors and diets like squirrels require chew sticks in their cages. Squirrel teeth are extra hard to accommodate a diet that usually includes hard shelled nuts.
[/partial answer]

Why they have become aluminum connoisseurs is interesting to say the least. Native aluminum metal does not occur naturally. And humans have been actively smelting aluminum for only a little over 100 years. So the answer has to be along the lines that they "think" it is something else. What they confuse it with, I do not know.

So they may be mineral deficient, but aluminum eating has the potential for toxicity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Sanborn Chase
Thank you, Mr. McNamara, for responding.
Aluminum trichloride is supposed to be quite pungent, which may mean something. I'm waiting on more observations to be made after rainstorms; the AlCl3 would go to aluminum hydroxide and hydrochloric acid I think, and that reaction is exothermic. Down at the level of a little squirrel nose that may be easily detected and seem delicious. More if my subjects will cooperate.
Incidentally, the fact that they go on mass migrations every few years and have a rather short lifespan in the wild may accommodate the sporadic nature of this activity.

Sanborn Chase said:
Incidentally, the fact that they go on mass migrations every few years and have a rather short lifespan in the wild may accommodate the sporadic nature of this activity.

Mass migrations nowadays, as frequently as every few years? Do you have a source, whether four-footed or two? I was under the impression that migrations in modern times are less common than back when the squirrel population was so plentiful (as w/ bison, passenger pigeons, etc.) that changes in food supply, or birth rate in response to food supply, could cause such mass behavior.

I did find reports of a mass exodus in 1968 in the Northeast - see http://www.lib.umd.edu/blogs/univarch_exhibits/wp-content/uploads/univarch_exhibits/1968-squirrel-migration.pdf, which I learned about via this search hit; and a very brief mention of a 1998 migration in Arkansas at the end of this Delta FarmPress copy & paste article, "Massive squirrel migrations recorded in North America," comparing past & present. But nothing more than that. Do you still see such migrations where you are?

Also I had read that what migrating does go on today tends to be along quite short routes, e.g .a few miles? If so this would hardly compare to the very long routes many birds still follow today - which is the sort of thing I think most laypersons such as myself would automatically think of in terms of scope.

Last edited:
Likes Sanborn Chase
Maybe they chew on everything, but it's only softer metals like Al or Pb where you can see the evidence.

Likes Fervent Freyja
This:
During fall, squirrels may travel 50 miles (80 km) or more in search of better habitat. Squirrel populations periodically rise and fall. During periods of high populations, squirrels—especially gray squirrels—may go on mass emigrations. At such times many animals die.
From this:
http://icwdm.org/handbook/rodents/TreeSquirrels.asp

1. Why do squirrels love aluminum?

Squirrels do not have a preference for aluminum specifically. They are simply attracted to objects that are shiny and resemble food or nesting materials. Aluminum foil, cans, and other objects can reflect light and appear similar to nuts or seeds, which are a main food source for squirrels.

2. Is aluminum harmful to squirrels?

No, aluminum is not harmful to squirrels. They can safely consume small amounts of aluminum foil or other objects made of aluminum. However, swallowing large pieces of aluminum foil can cause digestive issues and should be avoided.

3. How do squirrels interact with aluminum?

Squirrels may chew on aluminum objects, such as cans or foil, to try and access any scent or flavor that may be present. They may also use aluminum foil as nesting material or to line their dens. However, they do not have a specific attraction to aluminum and may interact with other shiny objects in a similar way.

4. Can aluminum be used to deter squirrels?

There is no evidence that aluminum can be used to effectively deter squirrels. Squirrels are resourceful animals and can find ways to access food or shelter regardless of the material used. It is better to use humane methods, such as placing barriers or removing attractants, to prevent squirrel activity.

5. Are there any other reasons why squirrels may interact with aluminum?

Squirrels may also interact with aluminum objects out of curiosity or playfulness. They are intelligent animals and enjoy exploring their surroundings. Additionally, they may use aluminum foil or cans as a way to mark their territory or attract potential mates.