Why do students struggle with word problems?

• Thread starter nycmathguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students
I think practice is overrated.I'm not sure that the singing analogy works. Practice is essential in building skills. If you're practicing incorrectly, that's going to cause problems, but that's not the fault of practice, but rather incorrect practice. 4. Since 2006, I must have answered at least 1,000 word problems and still struggle greatly.In summary, many students struggle with word problems due to not having a good strategy in approaching them and not having enough practice. The key to solving word problems is to identify the relevant equations and variables, and to practice correctly. Finding a good learning resource and seeking help when needed can also greatly improve understanding and success in solving word problems.
nycmathguy said:
So, I'm the problem and not illiterate writers that cannot put together a structured set of sentences. Have you ever read a probability word problem? Talk about fuzzy language.

I've read many word problems, and most of them are fine. You know the real world is nothing but poorly defined word problems right? I agree with the rest of the posters here - even if you've seen some badly written word problems, your attitude about them is almost certainly the primary thing holding you back.

Likes Wrichik Basu, berkeman and Vanadium 50
Physics news on Phys.org
nycmathguy said:
So, I'm the problem and not illiterate writers that cannot put together a structured set of sentences. Have you ever read a probability word problem? Talk about fuzzy language.
As already mentioned several time, word problems are not generally written by illiterate writers. You seem to be making broad, sweeping generalizations based on very little actual data. In statistics, extrapolating outside of the known data can lead to incorrect conclusions.

PeroK said:
So, there's this game show hosted by someone called Monty Hall ...
@nycmathguy, there is a well-known probability problem based on the show that Monty Hall hosted, and this was what @PeroK was referring to. The problem is well-known enough to have its own Wikipedia entry -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem. Apparently your knowledge of probability problems doesn't extend to this one.

This thread has run its course and is now closed.

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu and Vanadium 50