Why do the two mouths of a wormhole have opposite charges?

In summary, the conversation discusses problem 106 and 107 in the context of Gauge Fields, Knots & Gravity. The problem involves a wormhole of topology ##\mathbf{R} \times S^2## with a defined spherical metric and 1-form. The first part of the problem is to determine the "charge" of each mouth, which is done by defining an orthonormal basis of 1-forms and an orientation. The integral of ##*E## over any 2-sphere of constant radius is found to be equal to ##q##. The confusing part of problem 107 is discussed, where it is shown that the sign of the integral changes when the opposite orientation is chosen. The question of which
etotheipi
It's about problem 106 and 107 in Gauge Fields, Knots & Gravity. There's a wormhole of topology ##\mathbf{R} \times S^2## on which has been defined a spherical metric ##g = \mathrm{d}r^2 + f(r)^2 (\mathrm{d} \phi^2 + \sin^2{\phi} \mathrm{d} \theta^2)## as well as a 1-form ##E = (q\mathrm{d}r)/(4\pi f(r)^2)##. The first part is to figure out the "charge" of each mouth, which we can do by defining an orthonormal basis of 1-forms ##\{\mathrm{d}r, f(r)\sin{\phi} \mathrm{d}\theta, f(r)\mathrm{d}\phi \}## and an orientation ##\omega = \mathrm{d}r \wedge f(r)\sin{\phi} \mathrm{d}\theta \wedge f(r)\mathrm{d}\phi##. Then ##\mathrm{d}r \wedge *\mathrm{d}r = g(\mathrm{d}r,\mathrm{d}r) \mathrm{d}r \wedge f(r)\sin{\phi} \mathrm{d}\theta \wedge f(r)\mathrm{d}\phi## implies that ##*\mathrm{d}r = f(r)^2 \sin{\phi} \mathrm{d}\theta \wedge \mathrm{d} \phi##, so\begin{align*}

\int_{S^2} *E = \frac{q}{4\pi} \int_{S^2} \frac{*dr}{f(r)^2} = \frac{q}{4\pi} \int_{S^2} \sin{\phi} \mathrm{d} \theta \wedge d\phi = \frac{q}{4\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \mathrm{d}\theta \int_0^{\pi} \sin{\phi} \mathrm{d} \phi = q

\end{align*}The confusing bit is problem 107 where he asks for a careful explanation of why, since electric field lines are flowing from one mouth to the other we'd expect one mouth to be positively ##(q)## charged and the other to be negatively ##(-q)## charged, whilst on the other hand we just showed the integral of ##*E## over any 2-sphere of constant radius is ##q##.

I get that if we'd chosen the opposite orientation ##f(r)^2 \sin{\theta} d\phi \wedge d\theta## on ##S^2## then the sign of the integral would change, but there's got to be something more than that, surely? Can somebody explain the question? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
I get that if we'd chosen the opposite orientation ##f(r)^2 \sin{\theta} d\phi \wedge d\theta## on ##S^2## then the sign of the integral would change

Yes. Which orientation would be the "natural" one for observers looking into each mouth from the outside? Would they be the same, or opposite?

Likes etotheipi
PeterDonis said:
Yes. Which orientation would be the "natural" one for observers looking into each mouth from the outside? Would they be the same, or opposite?
I reckon the mouth through which the field lines (flows of the vector field which is dual to ##E##) enters naturally needs to be the one with the orientation which gives ##-q##. But even then, due to the symmetry, there would be two possibilities for the direction of the vector field dual to ##E## in the first place, so it would still amount to an arbitrary choice right?

etotheipi said:
there would be two possibilities for the direction of the vector field dual to ##E## in the first place, so it would still amount to an arbitrary choice right?

The arbitrary choice is which mouth we assign positive charge and which mouth we assign negative charge. But there is nothing arbitrary about the charges of the two mouths, as seen by observers outside their respective mouths, being of opposite sign. The question I asked in my last post was intended to indicate why the latter must be the case.

Likes etotheipi
PeterDonis said:
The arbitrary choice is which mouth we assign positive charge and which mouth we assign negative charge. But there is nothing arbitrary about the charges of the two mouths, as seen by observers outside their respective mouths, being of opposite sign. The question I asked in my last post was intended to indicate why the latter must be the case.
Thanks, I think I get it now! So I guess the point of that exercise is just to demonstrate that nothing physically changes if you re-label ##q \mapsto -q##, the only important thing is that the two mouths need opposite orientations imposed on them.

1. Why do wormholes have two mouths?

Wormholes are theoretical structures that are proposed to exist in the fabric of space-time. They are believed to connect two separate points in space, creating a shortcut or tunnel between them.

2. What are the charges of the two mouths of a wormhole?

The two mouths of a wormhole are believed to have opposite charges, one positive and one negative. This is based on the theory that wormholes are created by the collapse of a massive star, resulting in the formation of two singularities with opposite charges.

3. How do the opposite charges of the wormhole mouths affect its properties?

The opposite charges of the wormhole mouths have a significant impact on its properties. They create an electric field that can potentially stabilize the wormhole and prevent it from collapsing. They also play a role in determining the direction of travel through the wormhole.

4. Can the charges of the wormhole mouths change?

According to current theories, the charges of wormhole mouths are fixed and cannot be changed. However, there is ongoing research and debate about the possibility of manipulating the charges of wormholes, which could potentially open up new possibilities for space travel and time travel.

5. How do we know that wormholes have opposite charges?

The concept of opposite charges for wormhole mouths is based on mathematical models and theoretical physics. While we have not yet observed a wormhole directly, the predictions and equations from these models have been successfully used to explain other phenomena in the universe, giving scientists confidence in their validity.