Why do the X, Y, Z operators switch parity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of selection rules and how if a parity switching operator is placed between two wave vectors of opposite parity, the result is always 0. This is demonstrated using the example of the hydrogen wave functions. The question is raised about why these operators switch parity, and the conversation suggests considering the representation of the operators in the position basis, specifically using Cartesian coordinates. It is explained that an even-parity wavefunction is symmetric over the x axis and the X operator in Cartesian coordinates is just x. It is further clarified that x turns an odd function into an even one, or an even one into an odd one.
VortexLattice
I'm reading about selection rules, and the book is talking about how if you have a parity switching operator in between two wave vectors of opposite (definite) parity, the result is 0. For example, we have

[itex]\left\langle2,0,0 \right|\hat{X}\left|2,0,0\right\rangle = 0[/itex] because [itex]\left|2,0,0\right\rangle[/itex] is of even parity, and X switches its parity (where these kets are the hydrogen wave functions). Then, we have an even parity bra with an odd parity ket, and the result is 0.

My question is, why do these operators switch parity? I'd love to have both a physical and mathematical reason.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the representation of these operators in the position basis.

Ben Niehoff said:
Think about the representation of these operators in the position basis.

Hmm...I mean, we have the radial function, and the spherical harmonics...sorry, I'm not seeing it :(

Use Cartesian coordinates instead of spherical. What does an even-parity wavefunction look like? What is the X operator in this basis?

Ben Niehoff said:
Use Cartesian coordinates instead of spherical. What does an even-parity wavefunction look like? What is the X operator in this basis?

I guess an even-parity wavefunction is symmetric over the x axis? And, as far as I know, the X operator in Cartesian coordinates is just x.

I mean, I think I have the basic idea. I know that that on some level it's essentially integrating an odd function from -a to a, which will always be 0.

Actually, I think I have it. These wave functions are always even or odd. So x turns an odd function into an even one, or an even one into an odd one.

1. Why do the X, Y, Z operators switch parity?

The X, Y, and Z operators, also known as the Pauli operators, switch parity because they are matrix representations of rotations in three-dimensional space. As a result, they inherently change the orientation of the quantum state, leading to a change in parity.

2. What is parity in quantum mechanics?

Parity in quantum mechanics refers to the symmetry of a quantum state under a spatial transformation. It is a fundamental concept that allows us to understand the behavior and properties of particles in quantum systems.

3. How does the switch in parity affect the quantum state?

The switch in parity affects the quantum state by changing its orientation in space. This can lead to a change in the probability of measuring certain values for quantum observables, as well as alter the quantum state's entanglement properties.

4. Are there any real-world applications for understanding the switch in parity of the X, Y, Z operators?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for understanding the switch in parity of the X, Y, Z operators. For example, it is crucial in quantum computing and quantum error correction codes. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of particles in high-energy physics experiments.

5. Can the switch in parity be reversed?

Yes, the switch in parity can be reversed by applying the inverse operation of the X, Y, or Z operator. This is known as the Hermitian conjugate of the operator and will return the quantum state to its original orientation.