Why do those two terms add here?

In summary, the metric of a complex manifold can be expressed as ##ds^2=2g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}+g_{\alpha\beta}dz^{\alpha\beta}dz^{\alpha}dz^{\beta}+g_{\bar{\alpha}\bar{\beta}}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\alpha}}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}##, where the first term is the combination of ##g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}## and ##g_{\
Emilie.Jung
When I was studying complex manifolds in a Freedman's SUGRA book, I ran across this.

In a complex manifold, the metric is

$$ds^2=g_{ab}dz^adz^b\hspace{3cm}(1)$$$$ds^2=2g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}+g_{\alpha\beta}dz^{\alpha\beta}dz^{\alpha}dz^{\beta}+g_{\bar{\alpha}\bar{\beta}}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\alpha}}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}\hspace{3cm}(2)$$

It occurred in his introductory chapter which must have been there to build the ground for coming chapter which has to do with special geometry.

My question here is about the first term in (2), why does it have a "2" multiplied by ##g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}##? Is it because some two terms add giving this term. If so, what are those two terms and why do they add?

Physics news on Phys.org
The dz terms in the product commute. Breaking each into real and imaginary parts and forming the product gives you 2 terms of a real part times an imaginary part.

Note that the second term of your second expression has an obvious error - an extra dz term.

Likes Emilie.Jung
Oh sorry @mathman I didn't pay attention to the alert for your input on this thread! Thank you for pointing out the error, indeed it must have been ##g_{\alpha\beta}dz^{\alpha}dz^{\beta}## instead.

Now, regarding your reply, did you mean that the first term is the addition of ##g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}+g_{\bar{\alpha}\beta}d\bar{z}^{\bar\alpha}dz^{\beta}##? If so, you then meant that since ##g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}=g_{\bar{\alpha}\beta}## and since ##dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}=d\bar{z}^{\bar\alpha}dz^{\beta}## then this holds?

Emilie.Jung said:
Oh sorry @mathman I didn't pay attention to the alert for your input on this thread! Thank you for pointing out the error, indeed it must have been ##g_{\alpha\beta}dz^{\alpha}dz^{\beta}## instead.

Now, regarding your reply, did you mean that the first term is the addition of ##g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}+g_{\bar{\alpha}\beta}d\bar{z}^{\bar\alpha}dz^{\beta}##? If so, you then meant that since ##g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}=g_{\bar{\alpha}\beta}## and since ##dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}=d\bar{z}^{\bar\alpha}dz^{\beta}## then this holds?
Yes, your explanation is indeed the correct one.

@nrqed Thank you for pointing it out as correct. I just am wondering why is that those can be added together?

Please note that as I was looking more into this on google https://books.google.com.lb/books?id=sfUICAAAQBAJ&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=we+now+define+a+hermitian+manifold+as+a+complex+manifold+where+there+is+preferred+class+of+coordinate&source=bl&ots=lS_eMIl13j&sig=arjL5QBrRexp5382VbyltH6_C5U&hl=ar&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdmIHI0dfJAhVBUhoKHQJ_AbwQ6AEIJzAB#v=onepage&q=we now define a hermitian manifold as a complex manifold where there is preferred class of coordinate&f=false, I found something similar explaining this in a more detailed way:

"We now define a Hermitian manifold as a complex manifold where there is a preferred class of coordinate systems in which unmixed components of metric tensor vanish (##g_{\alpha\beta}=g_{\bar{\alpha}\bar{\beta}}=0##). The line element then takes the form ##ds^2=2g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\beta}.##Coordinate systems for which this form holds are said to be adapted to the Hermitian structure. Hermitean metrics are definitely a restriction. Readers can show this by formlating the equations for a coordinate transform from a general line element ##ds^2=g_{AB}dz^Adz^B## to a Hermitan one."

So, it looks like imposed Hermiticity, so he moved from the general form ##ds^2=g_{AB}dz^Adz^B## to the final form ##ds^2=2g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\beta}##. Is that right? Was hermiticity the missing block? If so, this contradicts with what we agreed on last, right?

Emilie.Jung said:
@nrqed Thank you for pointing it out as correct. I just am wondering why is that those can be added together?

Please note that as I was looking more into this on google https://books.google.com.lb/books?id=sfUICAAAQBAJ&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=we+now+define+a+hermitian+manifold+as+a+complex+manifold+where+there+is+preferred+class+of+coordinate&source=bl&ots=lS_eMIl13j&sig=arjL5QBrRexp5382VbyltH6_C5U&hl=ar&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdmIHI0dfJAhVBUhoKHQJ_AbwQ6AEIJzAB#v=onepage&q=we now define a hermitian manifold as a complex manifold where there is preferred class of coordinate&f=false, I found something similar explaining this in a more detailed way:

"We now define a Hermitian manifold as a complex manifold where there is a preferred class of coordinate systems in which unmixed components of metric tensor vanish (##g_{\alpha\beta}=g_{\bar{\alpha}\bar{\beta}}=0##). The line element then takes the form ##ds^2=2g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\beta}.##Coordinate systems for which this form holds are said to be adapted to the Hermitian structure. Hermitean metrics are definitely a restriction. Readers can show this by formlating the equations for a coordinate transform from a general line element ##ds^2=g_{AB}dz^Adz^B## to a Hermitan one."

So, it looks like imposed Hermiticity, so he moved from the general form ##ds^2=g_{AB}dz^Adz^B## to the final form ##ds^2=2g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\beta}##. Is that right? Was hermiticity the missing block? If so, this contradicts with what we agreed on last, right?
I don't see any contradiction with what we agreed on last night. We have ## ds^2 = g_{\alpha \beta } dz_\alpha dz_\beta + g_{\bar{\alpha}\bar{\beta}} dz_{\bar{\alpha}} dz_{\bar{\beta}} + g_{\bar{\alpha} \beta} dz_{\bar{\alpha}} dz_{\beta} + g_{\alpha \bar{\beta}} dz_{\alpha} dz_{\bar{\beta}} ##. By hermiticity the first two terms are zero and from your argument last night , the last two can be combined (keeping in mind that the indices are summed over, we see that the last two terms are equal)

Likes Emilie.Jung
When last night I said
Emilie.Jung said:
Now, regarding your reply, did you mean that the first term is the addition of gαβ¯dzαdz¯β¯+gα¯βdz¯α¯dzβg_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}+g_{\bar{\alpha}\beta}d\bar{z}^{\bar\alpha}dz^{\beta}? If so, you then meant that since gαβ¯=gα¯βg_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}=g_{\bar{\alpha}\beta} and since dzαdz¯β¯=dz¯α¯dzβdz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}=d\bar{z}^{\bar\alpha}dz^{\beta} then this holds?

I didn't know that because of Hermiticity that's the case. I was just following up @mathman 's answer, but without knowing why he considered that to be the case. He said
mathman said:
The dz terms in the product commute. Breaking each into real and imaginary parts and forming the product gives you 2 terms of a real part times an imaginary part.
without mentioning anything about hermiticity.

So why
nrqed said:
the last two can be combined

Maybe I didn't precisely understand what you meant by
nrqed said:
keeping in mind that the indices are summed over, we see that the last two terms are equal

Emilie.Jung said:

I am sorry, I had misread your post here. We do not have to assume ##g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}=g_{\bar{\alpha}\beta}##, all we need is to use is symmetry of the metric,
##g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}=g_{\bar{\beta}\alpha}##.

What I meant with my comment about summation is this. Let's say we fix ##\alpha, \beta = 1,2##. If we consider

[tex]g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}+g_{\bar{\alpha}\beta}d\bar{z}^{\bar\alpha}dz^{\beta} = g_{1,\bar{2}} dz^1 dz^{\bar{2}} + g_{\bar{1},2}dz^{\bar{1}} dz^2 [/tex]

then we cannot simplify this in any way, the two terms cannot be combined. In other words, we may not use here ##g_{1,\bar{2}} dz^1 dz^{\bar{2}} =g_{\bar{1},2}dz^{\bar{1}} dz^2##.

However, if we sum over all values of the indices, then we *can* write that the sum ##g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}## is indeed equal to ##g_{\bar{\alpha}\beta}d\bar{z}^{\bar\alpha}dz^{\beta}##, as we can check by writing down all the terms and using the symmetry of the metric.

Likes Emilie.Jung
You meant by
nrqed said:
if we sum over all values of the indices, then we *can* write that the sum gαβ¯dzαdz¯β¯g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}} is indeed equal to gα¯βdz¯α¯dzβg_{\bar{\alpha}\beta}d\bar{z}^{\bar\alpha}dz^{\beta}, as we can check by writing down all the terms and using the symmetry of the metric.
that if I write

$$ds^2=g_{1\bar{1}}dz^1d\bar{z}^{\bar{1}}+g_{\bar{1}1}d\bar{z}^{\bar{1}}dz^1+
g_{2\bar{2}}dz^2d\bar{z}^{\bar{2}}+g_{\bar{2}2}d\bar{z}^{\bar{2}}dz^2+
g_{1\bar{2}}dz^1d\bar{z}^{\bar{2}}+g_{\bar{1}2}d\bar{z}^{\bar{1}}dz^2+
g_{2\bar{1}}dz^2d\bar{z}^{\bar{1}}+g_{\bar{2}1}d\bar{z}^{\bar{2}}dz^1$$
then we say because of hermiticity the first 4 terms vanish and then we combine (5th term with the 8th term) and (the 6th term with the 7th term) to get

$$ds^2= 2g_{2\bar{1}}dz^2d\bar{z}^{\bar{1}}+2g_{1\bar{2}}dz^1d\bar{z}^{\bar{2}}?$$ but I'm left with 2 terms now, so what should be done to reach the form we're seeking which is only
$$ds^2=2g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}?$$

Emilie.Jung said:
You meant by

that if I write

$$ds^2=g_{1\bar{1}}dz^1d\bar{z}^{\bar{1}}+g_{\bar{1}1}d\bar{z}^{\bar{1}}dz^1+
g_{2\bar{2}}dz^2d\bar{z}^{\bar{2}}+g_{\bar{2}2}d\bar{z}^{\bar{2}}dz^2+
g_{1\bar{2}}dz^1d\bar{z}^{\bar{2}}+g_{\bar{1}2}d\bar{z}^{\bar{1}}dz^2+
g_{2\bar{1}}dz^2d\bar{z}^{\bar{1}}+g_{\bar{2}1}d\bar{z}^{\bar{2}}dz^1$$
then we say because of hermiticity the first 4 terms vanish
Not quite. You have already used hermiticity because you did not write any of the terms from ##g_{\bar{\alpha}\bar{\beta}}dz^{\bar{\alpha}}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}+ g_{\alpha\beta}dz^{\alpha} dz^{\beta} ##

I am not sure I follow the rest of your post. Let me go back to what you wrote above.

Note that

The first term and the second term are identical

The third and fourth terms are identical

the 5th and 8th terms are equal, as you said

the 6th and 7th term are equal, as you said

So they all add up and give the same thing as if we had written
##2g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}##

Likes Emilie.Jung
@nrqed Right, I noticed where I had gone wrong! Thank you a lot for your assistance and great help!

Emilie.Jung said:
@nrqed Right, I noticed where I had gone wrong! Thank you a lot for your assistance and great help!
Good! An you are welcome.

Likes Emilie.Jung
@nrqed But why do the dz^i terms commute?

samuelphysics said:
@nrqed But why do the dz^i terms commute?
They are just ordinary differentials, this is not a wedge product of one-forms.

Likes Emilie.Jung
The past post got a little messy, what I meant to ask you was when you said
nrqed said:
You have already used hermiticity because you did not write any of the terms from ¯β¯dzα¯dz¯β¯+gαβdzαdzβ
So why is it that hermiticity makes those two terms vanish? Excuse me for double posting

@samuelphysics I guess this is the definition of a hermitian metric, that the unmixed components of it vanish, I thus think it is a property. I'm not sure about its proof, though. I don't want to be giving you unsure or wrong answers, though.

@nrqed is this right?

Emilie.Jung said:
@samuelphysics I guess this is the definition of a hermitian metric, that the unmixed components of it vanish, I thus think it is a property. I'm not sure about its proof, though. I don't want to be giving you unsure or wrong answers, though.

@nrqed is this right?
Yes, you are completely right in your answer to Samuelphysics.

Samuel physics , As EmilieJung said, this is not true of a general metric, here you must see it as the question being about a special class of metric with that extra condition. There is nothing more to it, as far as this thread is concerned. Why they are interesting is a good question but an entirely different one :-)

Likes samuelphysics and Emilie.Jung
ummm, thanks a lot @Emilie.Jung and @nrqed ! So, you mean this is not a property of a Hermitian metric but is an additional condition on that Hermitian metric? Because EmilieJung said it was a property. If EmilieJung is right then doesn't this property have a proof? That was mainly my question.

@nrqed I want to ask you about this because @samuelphysics's last question got me a little confused. We say that a Hermitian manifold is one
in which unmixed components of metric tensor vanish (##g_{\alpha\beta}=g_{\bar{\alpha}\bar{\beta}}=0##). Is that correct? So every Hermitian metric there is has this special property, no? I just want to double check from you.

1. Why do we add two terms together in scientific calculations?

Adding two terms together in scientific calculations allows us to combine quantities and determine the total amount. This is important for understanding the relationships between different variables and making predictions.

2. How does adding two terms affect the overall result?

The result of adding two terms can either increase, decrease, or stay the same, depending on the values of the terms. This is because different mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, can have different effects on the overall value.

3. Can we add two terms that have different units?

Yes, we can add two terms that have different units. However, it is important to convert the units to the same base units before adding them together. This ensures that the final result is in the correct units and makes the calculation more accurate.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for adding terms in scientific calculations?

Yes, there are several rules and guidelines for adding terms in scientific calculations, such as the commutative and associative properties of addition, which allow us to change the order and grouping of terms without changing the result. It is also important to pay attention to significant figures and units when adding terms.

5. What is the purpose of adding two terms in a scientific experiment or study?

The purpose of adding two terms in a scientific experiment or study is to determine the total amount of a certain quantity or to analyze the relationship between two variables. By adding two terms together, we can better understand the data and make informed conclusions about the phenomenon being studied.