Why is the Gödel Universe Rotating

In summary, the gyroscope in a rotating universe will precess at a rate given by the ODEs. The spin 1-form provides the components of the angular velocity, but cannot be evaluated for arbitrary positions.
GRDoer

Homework Statement

Consider the Godel Metric in spherical coordinates as on page 6 here;
[tex]ds^2=4a^2\left[-dt^2+dr^2+dz^2-(\sinh^{4}(r)-\sinh^{2}(r))d\phi^2+2\sqrt{2}\sinh^{2}(r)dt d\phi)\right][/tex]

This is a solution to Einstein's Equations if we have ##a=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2\pi\rho}}## and ##\Lambda =-\frac{1}{2a^2}##, where ##\Lambda## is the cosmological constant and ##\rho## is the density of the uniform dust with which we fill the universe.

It is often stated that this represents a rotating universe, but to me that is not immediately obvious, and so I want to prove it. To do so I'm considering an observer stationary with respect to the Godel coordinates at some point ##(r,\phi,z)## and equipped with a gyroscope. If the universe is rotating, the gyroscope should obviously precess. I want to find the rate of precession.

Homework Equations

Einstein's Equations and those mentioned throughout the post.

The Attempt at a Solution

The observer is stationary, so we have ##-1=\vec{u}\cdot\vec{u}=g_{\alpha\beta}u^{\alpha}u^{\beta}=g_{tt}(u^{t})^{2}=-4a^{2}(u^{t})^{2}##, so ##u^{t}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}a}## and so ##\vec{u}=(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}a},0,0,0)##.
##a## is constant so clearly ##\vec{a}=0##, so the gyroscope is in free fall. This means its spin, ##\tilde{S}## undergoes parallel transport; ##\nabla_{\vec{u}}\tilde{S}=0##. Spin is a 1-form so we have:
[tex]\frac{S_{\alpha}}{dt}=\Gamma^{\gamma}_{\alpha\beta}S_{\gamma}u^{\beta}u[/tex]
This means that ##s_{z}## and ##s_{t}## are constant, and as we must have ##\tilde{S}\cdot\vec{u}=0##, ##s_{t}=0##.
The resulting ODES are;
[tex]\frac{dS_{r}}{dt}=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{a\sinh(2r)}S_{\phi}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dS_{\phi}}{dt}=-\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}a}\sinh(2r)S_{r}[/tex]

They have general solution:
[tex]S_{r}(t)=-2i(A\exp({\frac{it}{a\sqrt{2}}})-B\exp({-\frac{it}{a\sqrt{2}}}))[/tex]
[tex]S_{\phi}(t)=\sinh(2r)(A\exp({\frac{it}{a\sqrt{2}}})+B\exp({-\frac{it}{a\sqrt{2}}}))[/tex]

I'm not sure how to go from here to the angular velocity/momentum associated with the spin.
The spin 1-form is given component wise by ##s_{\alpha}=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma\delta}J^{\beta\gamma}u^{\delta}##, which let's us use the above result to find the components of ##J^{\alpha\beta}##, and I believe I should find something along the lines of ##\frac{dS}{dt}=\Omega\times S## for some angular velocity ##\Omega##, but classical mechanics never was my strong suit so I'm not sure of the specifics. Honestly the whole concept of spin and precession in GR is doing my head in.
I think the result should be ##2\sqrt{\pi\rho}##, which I have seen while researching online, but yeah, I have no idea how to prove it.

I guess the crux of my question is how do we relate ##S_{\alpha}## to the precession velocity of the gyroscope of which it is the spin?
Any pointers, general or specific would really help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just noticed a few typos in the above. Throughout the t's should be ##\tau##'s, theyre the proper time of the observer. Also ##u^{t}=\frac{1}{2a}## not ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}a}##. I already made one edit, and apparently I can't make more so I'll post this here.

Also, if I try to evaluate ##\Omega\times S## for an arbitrary angular velocity ##\Omega## and equate this to ##\frac{ds_{i}}{d\tau}##, where ##i\in\{1,2,3\}##, I get

[tex](\frac{2}{a\sqrt{2}\sinh(2r)}S_{\phi}(\tau),\frac{-\sinh(2r)}{2\sqrt{2}a}S_{r}(\tau),0)=(-\Omega_{z}S_{\phi},\Omega_{z}S_{r},\Omega_{r}S_{\phi}-\Omega_{\phi}S_{r})[/tex]

Which due to the ##\sinh(2r)## factor cannot be true for a general position.
I don't know where I'm going wrong. Maybe I've solved the equations of motion wrong somehow, maybe I'm misunderstanding precession, or maybe I need to transform the result to the locally flat frame of the observer (which I have no idea how to do), or something else entirely.

Last edited:

1. Why is the Gödel Universe Rotating?

The Gödel Universe, also known as the rotating universe, is based on the mathematical model developed by Kurt Gödel in 1949. In this model, the universe is assumed to be filled with a homogeneous distribution of matter and is rotating on a large scale. This rotation is caused by the presence of a massive spinning object at the center of the universe, which creates a frame-dragging effect.

2. What is the frame-dragging effect?

The frame-dragging effect, also known as the Lense-Thirring effect, is a phenomenon in which the rotation of a massive object causes the surrounding space-time to be dragged along with it. In the case of the Gödel Universe, the massive spinning object at the center of the universe creates this effect, causing the entire universe to rotate.

3. How was the Gödel Universe model developed?

Kurt Gödel, a mathematician and logician, developed the Gödel Universe model as a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity. By assuming a rotating universe, Gödel was able to create a model that satisfied these equations and provided a new perspective on the nature of the universe.

4. Is there evidence for the rotation of the universe?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the rotation of the universe. However, the Gödel Universe model is consistent with the observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is believed to be leftover radiation from the early stages of the universe. Further research and observations may provide more evidence for the rotation of the universe.

5. What implications does the Gödel Universe have for our understanding of the universe?

The Gödel Universe challenges our traditional view of the universe as static and unchanging. It suggests that the universe may be dynamic and constantly evolving, with rotation playing a significant role in its structure and behavior. This model also raises questions about the concept of time and the nature of space, leading to further exploration and understanding of the universe.