Why do we conclude that p|exactly one of b0,c0?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Eisenstein's criterion for determining whether a polynomial is irreducible or not. It states that if a polynomial satisfies certain conditions and is not irreducible, then it can be factored into two polynomials. The conversation then goes on to explain the reasoning behind one of these conditions, namely the divisibility of prime numbers. It is eventually concluded that a polynomial can only have one factor of a prime number in its product, either in the first or second polynomial.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! :)

I am looking at the proof of the Eisenstein's criterion
(Let $f(x)=a_nx^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+...+a_1x+a_0 \in \mathbb{Z}$ and let's suppose that there is a prime $p$ such that
$p \nmid a_n$ & $p \mid a_i \forall i=0,1,...,n-1$ & $p^2 \nmid a_0$.
Then $f(x)$ is unfactorable into the product of non constant polynomials with rational coefficients):

We suppose that the conditions: $p \nmid a_n$ & $p \mid a_i \forall i=0,1,...,n-1$ & $p^2 \nmid a_0$ are satisfied.Also,we suppose that $f(x)$ is not irreducible.
Then,from Gauss's lemma, it will be like that: $f(x)=(b_mx^m+...+b_1x+b_0) \cdot (c_kx^k+...+c_1x+c_0) , b_i,b_j \in \mathbb{Z}, b_mc_k \neq 0, m+k=n$

So,we get:

$(1) b_0c_0=a_0$
$(2) b_1c_0+c_1b_0=a_1$
$(3) c_0b_2+c_1b_1+c_2b_0=a_2$
$(n) b_mc_k=a_n$

$p \mid a_0 \Rightarrow p \mid b_0c_0 \Rightarrow p \mid$ at least one of $b_0,c_0$

Then, because of the fact that $p^2 \nmid a_0 \Rightarrow$ $p$ does not divide both $b_0,c_0 \Rightarrow p \mid$ exactly one of $b_0,c_0$

Why is it like that?? I haven't understood it..Isn't it possible that,for example, $p^2 \mid b_0$ ?? :confused: (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
$p \mid a_0 \Rightarrow p \mid b_0c_0 \Rightarrow p \mid$ at least one of $b_0,c_0$

Then, because of the fact that $p^2 \nmid a_0 \Rightarrow$ $p$ does not divide both $b_0,c_0 \Rightarrow p \mid$ exactly one of $b_0,c_0$

Why is it like that?? I haven't understood it..Isn't it possible that,for example, $p^2 \mid b_0$ ??
The fact that $p^2\nmid b_0$ is true, but it is not stated in the first two paragraphs of the quote above. They only claim something about the divisibility by $p$ (not $p^2$), namely, that
\[
(p\mid b_0\lor p\mid c_0)\land\neg(p\mid b_0\land p\mid c_0)\qquad(*)
\]
First, (*) is true because if $p\mid b_0$ and $p\mid c_0$, then there exist integers $m,n$ such that $b_0=pm$ and $c_0=pn$, so $a_0=b_0c_0=p^2mn$, i.e., $p^2\mid a_0$, contrary to the assumption. Second, you are right that $p^2\nmid b_0$ and $p^2\nmid c_0$. If $p^2\mid b_0$, then $p^2\mid b_0c_0=a_0$.

Primes have the property that if $p|ab$ then either $p|a$ or $p|b$ (or both).

Now, here if $p|b_0c_0$, by the above, either $p|b_0$ or $p|c_0$. Could it be both?

No, because then we would have $p^2|b_0c_0 = a_0$ contrary to our original condition on $p$.

So it has to be one or the other, since both can't happen.

Now, if $p|b_0$ and $p^2|b_0$ then $p^2|a_0$ (which cannot be the case). So we only have ONE factor of $p$ in the product $b_0c_0$, and it has to be in $b_0$ or $c_0$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The fact that $p^2\nmid b_0$ is true, but it is not stated in the first two paragraphs of the quote above. They only claim something about the divisibility by $p$ (not $p^2$), namely, that
\[
(p\mid b_0\lor p\mid c_0)\land\neg(p\mid b_0\land p\mid c_0)\qquad(*)
\]
First, (*) is true because if $p\mid b_0$ and $p\mid c_0$, then there exist integers $m,n$ such that $b_0=pm$ and $c_0=pn$, so $a_0=b_0c_0=p^2mn$, i.e., $p^2\mid a_0$, contrary to the assumption. Second, you are right that $p^2\nmid b_0$ and $p^2\nmid c_0$. If $p^2\mid b_0$, then $p^2\mid b_0c_0=a_0$.

Deveno said:
Primes have the property that if $p|ab$ then either $p|a$ or $p|b$ (or both).

Now, here if $p|b_0c_0$, by the above, either $p|b_0$ or $p|c_0$. Could it be both?

No, because then we would have $p^2|b_0c_0 = a_0$ contrary to our original condition on $p$.

So it has to be one or the other, since both can't happen.

Now, if $p|b_0$ and $p^2|b_0$ then $p^2|a_0$ (which cannot be the case). So we only have ONE factor of $p$ in the product $b_0c_0$, and it has to be in $b_0$ or $c_0$.

I understand..Thank you very much! :D

Hello there! I can explain why we conclude that p|exactly one of b0,c0. In the Eisenstein's criterion, we are looking at the conditions for a polynomial to be irreducible. This means that it cannot be factored into the product of non-constant polynomials with rational coefficients.

In the given proof, we are assuming that the polynomial f(x) is not irreducible and can be factored into two polynomials, which we will call g(x) and h(x). We also know from Gauss's lemma that the coefficients of g(x) and h(x) must be integers.

Now, let's look at the coefficients of f(x). We know that p does not divide the leading coefficient, a_n, and it divides all the other coefficients, a_i. This means that p cannot divide both b_0 and c_0, as that would contradict the fact that p does not divide a_n.

So, we can conclude that p divides either b_0 or c_0, but not both. This is because if p divided both b_0 and c_0, it would also divide their product, b_0c_0, which is equal to a_0. But we know that p^2 does not divide a_0, so this is not possible.

Therefore, we can conclude that p must divide exactly one of b_0 and c_0. This is important because if p divided both b_0 and c_0, then we would have a factorization of f(x) that does not satisfy the conditions of Eisenstein's criterion.

I hope this helps clarify why we conclude that p|exactly one of b0,c0. Let me know if you have any other questions!

1. Why is it important to conclude that p|exactly one of b0,c0?

Concluding that p|exactly one of b0,c0 can help us better understand the relationship between p, b0, and c0. It allows us to make more accurate predictions and draw conclusions about the variables in question.

2. What evidence supports the conclusion that p|exactly one of b0,c0?

The evidence supporting this conclusion may vary depending on the specific scenario, but it typically involves analyzing the data and observing patterns or correlations between p, b0, and c0. Other factors, such as experimental design and statistical significance, may also play a role.

3. How does this conclusion impact our understanding of the variables involved?

Concluding that p|exactly one of b0,c0 can provide valuable insight into the individual contributions of b0 and c0 to the overall relationship with p. It allows us to isolate and analyze the effects of each variable, leading to a deeper understanding of their impact on the outcome.

4. Are there any potential limitations or biases in reaching this conclusion?

Like any scientific conclusion, there may be limitations or biases that could affect the accuracy of the result. For example, the data used in the analysis may not be representative of the entire population, or there may be confounding variables that were not accounted for. It's important to carefully consider these factors when interpreting the conclusion.

5. What are the implications of this conclusion for future research or applications?

The conclusion that p|exactly one of b0,c0 can have significant implications for future research in the field. It can inform the development of new theories or hypotheses, guide the design of future experiments, and contribute to a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms at play. In practical applications, this conclusion can also guide decision-making processes and lead to more effective solutions.