Why Do We See Color & Texture?

• Thread starter welshtyke
  • Start date
In summary, the reason why we see color, texture, and other visual elements is due to the way our eyes perceive and interpret information. Our eyes do not actually "see" objects, but rather send signals to the brain which constructs a mental picture. This is why our eyes have a limited resolution and can only detect certain elements. Additionally, when we touch something, we are not actually touching it, but rather experiencing the repelling of electrons. All the images we see in life are simply a mental construct based on the information received by our eyes.
welshtyke
Please can someone explain to me the reason why we see colour, texture etc. I am quite aware that atomic structure is 99+% space so logically all we should "see" is space. Why do we see colour and texture. If I look at a brick I see a brick complete with all its colour and texture. But then again our eyes do not see. All they do is present information to the brain where a mental picture is constructed. In addition when we touch something we do not really touch other than the repelling of elections. Is all the rendering we see of life's images merely a metal picture.

Physics news on Phys.org
welshtyke said:
I am quite aware that atomic structure is 99+% space so logically all we should "see" is space
Our eyes have a very limited resolution.

In addition to that, read here on why our eyes are actually a rather poor and limited "detector"

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/see-an-electron-lately.765725/

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is color and texture?

Color is the visual perception of different wavelengths of light, while texture is the physical or visual quality of a surface. Both color and texture play a significant role in how we perceive and interact with our surroundings.

Why do we see in color and texture?

We see in color and texture because of the specialized cells in our eyes called cones and rods. Cones are responsible for color vision, while rods are responsible for detecting light and dark. Together, they allow us to see a wide range of colors and textures in our environment.

How does the brain interpret color and texture?

The brain interprets color and texture by receiving signals from the cones and rods in our eyes and processing them in the visual cortex. The visual cortex analyzes the information and creates a perception of color and texture based on the input it receives.

What factors affect our perception of color and texture?

Several factors can affect our perception of color and texture, including lighting, contrast, and context. For example, the same object may appear to have a different color or texture under different lighting conditions or when placed against a different background.

Why do some people see color and texture differently?

Individuals may see color and texture differently due to variations in their cones and rods, which can affect their color vision and depth perception. Additionally, factors such as age, genetics, and certain medical conditions can also impact how we perceive color and texture.