Why Does a Copper Block's Internal Energy Remain Stable Despite Continuous Work?

In summary, a copper block is being rubbed with a pad and work is being done on it at 85W, starting at room temperature and t=0. From t=250 to t=300, there is almost no internal energy gained by the block despite work being done on it. This could be due to the increasing difference between the block and surroundings causing a higher rate of heat loss. Another possibility is that a thermal equilibrium has been reached between the block and pad, with the same internal energy. However, since work is being done on the block, the equation Q=U+W suggests that the internal energy should be increasing. It is possible that at some point, the heat loss and heat input will equal each other, causing the
alias25
theres a copper block being rubbed with a pad and constant work is being done on it at 85W..starts at room temperature and t=0

i) from t=250 to t=300 almost no internal energy is gained by the block though work is being done on it. Explain this.

theres a graph given (temp against time) a curve starts (0,0) levels off at (80,250)

i wrote..As temperature increases the difference between the block and surroundings increase so the rate at which heat is lost from block increase.
(exponentially) I am not sure..

or prehaps the frictional force between the two (block and pad reduced) like when using sandpaper on wood goes smooth?

could some kinda thermal equilibrium been reached between the block and pad...same internal energy? or all/most internal energy of pad transferred to block is that possible?

(Q=U + W) work is being done on the block so W is negitive and internal energy is gained so its positive..would there be a point where they equal each other in magnitudes so they cancel leaving Q as '0'...i don't know..help
non of my answers seem right for some reason.

(uggh I am really annoyed i had to write this out 3 times now because it won't send decided best to copy it this time just in case)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heat loss is proportional to [itex] \displaystyle{ \Delta T} [/itex] so as the temperature of the block increases it loses more heat to the surroundings. At some point the heat loss must equal the heat input. When that point is reached the temperature will stabilize.

thank you.

Related to Why Does a Copper Block's Internal Energy Remain Stable Despite Continuous Work?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the transfer of heat and energy within a system, and how this affects the properties and behavior of the system.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy transfer or conversion, some energy will be lost as heat, and the total amount of disorder or entropy in the universe will always increase.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from a hotter object to a cooler object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

5. How is thermodynamics applied in everyday life?

Thermodynamics is applied in various fields, including engineering, chemistry, and biology. It is used to design and improve energy systems, understand chemical reactions, and study the processes that occur in living organisms.