Why Does a Cube Float When Dipped in Water?

In summary: So the upwards force on the bottom is greater than the downwards force on the top. The net force is therefore upwards...Yes.
Pranav
Gold Member
Imagine a container containing water up to 100cm of its height then I dip a cube of plastic in the water on depth of 75cm. We all know it will float because of its less density, but if we go with Pascal Law, The pressure/force applied by the water above the cube is more than than the buoyant force/pressure applied by the water below, and if the buoyant force is less then the cube should not float. But when did the same at my home in a bucket the cube came to surface. Why??

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav said:
Imagine a container containing water up to 100cm of its height then I dip a cube of plastic in the water on depth of 75cm. We all know it will float because of its less density, but if we go with Pascal Law, The pressure/force applied by the water above the cube is more than than the buoyant force/pressure applied by the water below, and if the buoyant force is less then the cube should not float. But when did the same at my home in a bucket the cube came to surface. Why??

Pressure increases with the depth of the water, hence the pressure at the bottom of the cube is higher than at its top. If the difference of these two pressure forces is larger than the weight of the cube, it floats. You must not compare the "height" of the water below and above the cube, but the pressure vs. the depth.

Pranav said:
The pressure/force applied by the water above the cube is more than than the buoyant force/pressure applied by the water below,
This is incorrect. I am not sure where you got this idea, but it is exactly backwards. The pressure on the top is less than the pressure on the bottom. This is the cause of the buoyant force

Dale said:
The pressure on the top is less than the pressure on the bottom. This is the cause of the buoyant force
Well, I know that sir but if their is more water above than below then, the water above push the box down. Right??

stockzahn said:
Pressure increases with the depth of the water, hence the pressure at the bottom of the cube is higher than at its top. If the difference of these two pressure forces is larger than the weight of the cube, it floats. You must not compare the "height" of the water below and above the cube, but the pressure vs. the depth.
If their is more water above than below then, the water above push the box down as it will apply more downward force than the upward force . Right??

Pranav said:
If their is more water above than below then, the water above push the box down as it will apply more downward force than the upward force . Right??

Only if the water above and below the cube is not "communicating" (e.g. in two separated compartments). The weight of the water above the cube acts around the cube on the water below the cube and increases the pressure. And why shouldn't it? Otherwise that would mean that the weight force of all the water above the cube is lying on the top of the cube.

Pranav said:
Well, I know that sir but if their is more water above than below then, the water above push the box down. Right??
No. The amount of water below is completely irrelevant.

stockzahn said:
Only if the water above and below the cube is not "communicating" (e.g. in two separated compartments). The weight of the water above the cube acts around the cube on the water below the cube and increases the pressure. And why shouldn't it? Otherwise that would mean that the weight force of all the water above the cube is lying on the top of the cube.
Sorry but i didn't understand

@Pranav all that matters is the pressure. The pressure is determined by the depth of water above. The amount of water below does not matter. The pressure increases as you go down, therefore the bottom is always subjected to a greater pressure than the top.

Dale said:
@Pranav all that matters is the pressure. The pressure is determined by the depth of water above. The amount of water below does not matter. The pressure increases as you go down, therefore the bottom is always subjected to a greater pressure than the top.
And more the pressure more you will be pushed down??

Pranav said:
Sorry but i didn't understand

Attachments

• CubeWater_01.jpg
    CubeWater_01.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 535
Pranav said:
And more the pressure more you will be pushed down??
No, you are pushed in a direction normal to the surface. That is down on the top, up on the bottom, and inwards on the sides.

So the upwards force on the bottom is greater than the downwards force on the top. The net force is therefore upwards (buoyant)

Last edited:
Thanks you everyone.

Likes russ_watters
Now it's clear to me.

1. Why do objects float or sink in water?

Objects float or sink in water depending on their density. If an object is less dense than water, it will float. If it is more dense, it will sink. This is because water exerts an upward force on objects called buoyancy, and the amount of buoyancy is determined by the object's density and volume.

2. How does the shape of an object affect its ability to float?

The shape of an object does not directly affect its ability to float. However, it can indirectly affect it through the object's density. For example, a cube and a sphere with the same mass and volume will have different densities due to their different shapes. The cube will be more dense and therefore sink, while the sphere will be less dense and float.

3. Why does a cube float when dipped in water?

A cube will float when dipped in water if its density is less than that of water. This can be determined by dividing the object's mass by its volume. If the resulting number is less than 1, the object will float. In the case of a cube, its shape allows for more volume to be spread out, resulting in a lower density and the ability to float.

4. Can a cube ever sink when placed in water?

Yes, a cube can sink when placed in water. This will happen if the cube's density is greater than that of water. For example, a cube made of a dense material like lead will sink when placed in water.

5. How does the weight of an object affect its buoyancy?

The weight of an object does not directly affect its buoyancy. Buoyancy is determined by the object's density and volume. However, the weight of an object can indirectly affect its buoyancy if it causes a change in the object's density. For example, if an object absorbs water and becomes more dense, it may sink even though it was previously floating due to its lower density.