Why does a fluid exert an upward force?

In summary: The net force exerted by a liquid on its surroundings is due to the Brownian motion of the molecules in the liquid.
rabbitweed
I'm doing first year physics, and we've just stared a unit on Fluid Mechanics

Our lecturer showed us a demonstration of suction, lifting up a table by attaching a rubber suction matt type device, with a handle on it. The point of the demonstration was to show that even though the rubber suction device didn't weigh much, the difference in air pressure between the normal atmosphere of the lecture hall and the air trapped beneath the suction cup was so great that considerably pore force had to be applied to break the suction.

Now, my understand is, this is due to the fact that while the atmospheric pressure is exerting a downwards force on the suction object, due to the scarcity/low density of air trapped beneath it, that there is less upwards force being applied to the bottom of the suction cup, so the net force that one must overcome to lift it is greater.

My question is, what is it about fluid that exerts a force upwards, or indeed, in any direction not aligned with gravity? The downwards acting force of the atmosphere I get, because it has mass and is under the force of gravity, but an upwards force exerted on an object I do not understand. What acceleration is happening at the surface of a fluid!?

Sorry if I have explained this for me, let me know if you need clarification.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force/pressure exerts from every direction around the object. But the pressure get higher when you get deeper in the fluid (thanks to gravitation). So the net force is upward.

Try using the suction cup under the water. You can get the net force in any direction exactly like when using it in the air.

ikkyu said:
The force/pressure exerts from every direction around the object.

Yes, but my question is why?

What inside a liquid exerts a force on its surroundings?

rabbitweed said:

The atoms/molecules with their brownian motion hit everything around them and produce a net force so to speak. Surface tension acounts for a small part of preassure in every liquid and gravity plus depth presses on every layer beneath.

If at 10 m in water you would have roughly one atm of surplus preassure then that means that the air above you on the ground has the same weight as the column of water. A column of atmospheric air of 1 sqr meter 50 km high would roughly weigh 10 tonnes.

Lok said:
The atoms/molecules with their brownian motion...

Strictly speaking, in the interest of scientific accuracy, Brownian motion refers to the visible effect of molecular kinetic enrgy on suspended particulate matter in a fluid, not to the motion of the aoms or molecules themselves.

rabbitweed said:

The force exists at a boundary because the total energy (technically, the total Gibbs free energy) of the system would be lower if the boundary moved a little in the direction of the force. (In fact, this is the origin of all forces. It all comes down to free energy minimization -- or equivalently, entropy maximization.)

Related to Why does a fluid exert an upward force?

1. Why does a fluid exert an upward force?

A fluid exerts an upward force because of a principle known as buoyancy. This force is the result of the pressure difference between the top and bottom of an object submerged in a fluid.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of the upward force exerted by a fluid?

The magnitude of the upward force exerted by a fluid depends on the density of the fluid, the volume of the object submerged, and the acceleration due to gravity. The more dense the fluid, the greater the force will be. Similarly, the larger the volume of the object submerged, the greater the upward force will be. Lastly, the force also depends on the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth.

3. Does the shape of an object affect the upward force exerted by a fluid?

Yes, the shape of an object does affect the upward force exerted by a fluid. The upward force is directly proportional to the volume of the object submerged, so a larger and more irregularly shaped object will experience a greater upward force than a smaller and more streamlined object.

4. How does the upward force exerted by a fluid affect objects in water?

The upward force exerted by a fluid, or buoyancy, can have different effects on objects in water. If the buoyant force is greater than the object's weight, it will float. If the buoyant force is equal to the object's weight, it will be neutrally buoyant and remain suspended in the water. If the buoyant force is less than the object's weight, it will sink.

5. Can the upward force exerted by a fluid be negative?

No, the upward force exerted by a fluid, or buoyancy, can never be negative. This force is always directed upwards, perpendicular to the surface of the fluid, and can only vary in magnitude. If the net force on an object is downward, it is due to the weight of the object being greater than the upward buoyant force.