Why does a rotating chain become horizontal?

In summary, the conversation discusses the rotation of a chain and how it tends to become more horizontal when swung faster in a circular motion. The equations for energy and moment of inertia are mentioned, and the individual is trying to understand why the chain rotates in this way. They realize that the angular velocity is lowest when the chain rotates around its biggest moment of inertia, leading to the observed behavior.
Lindsayyyy
Hi

Homework Statement

A chain rotates fast. Observation: the chain gets into a horizontal position. Why?

Homework Equations

[tex]L=I \omega[/tex] [tex] E= \frac 1 2 I \omega²[/tex] [tex] E=\frac 1 2 \frac {L²} I[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I have two equations for the energy. I know that I have to use the second one, because when I do the experiment I see that the chain "uses" its highest moment of intertia. But I can't I use the first equation for the energy which implies that the chain has to use the smallest moment of inertia to have the minimum energy?

Where is my mistake?

Thanks for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lindsayyyy said:
Hi

Homework Statement

A chain rotates fast. Observation: the chain gets into a horizontal position. Why?

Homework Equations

[tex]L=I \omega[/tex] [tex] E= \frac 1 2 I \omega²[/tex] [tex] E=\frac 1 2 \frac {L²} I[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I have two equations for the energy. I know that I have to use the second one, because when I do the experiment I see that the chain "uses" its highest moment of intertia. But I can't I use the first equation for the energy which implies that the chain has to use the smallest moment of inertia to have the minimum energy?

Where is my mistake?

Thanks for help.

Is the problem asking about swinging a chain around in a circular motion overhead? If so, it never makes it to horizontal, right? It can get close if swung very fast, but it can never be horizontal if there is a vertical gravitational field.

Can you just approach this problem using a free body diagram (FBD)? To model the chain (as opposed to a weight on a string), you would need to do a distributed FBD with something like 10 weights evenly distributed along the chain length, joined by short strings. With that kind of FBD, you can show how the "chain" tends to become more horizontal as it is swung faster and faster in a circle...

I think I found my mistake. Is it true that the angular velocity is the lowest when the chain rotates around its biggest moment of inertia? If so, I get it ^^

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but instead applies to rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a chain?

The moment of inertia of a chain can be calculated by dividing the mass of the chain by its length and then using the parallel axis theorem to account for the distribution of mass along the chain's length.

3. Why is moment of inertia important for a chain?

Moment of inertia is important for a chain because it affects how the chain will behave when subjected to rotational forces. A chain with a higher moment of inertia will be more resistant to changes in rotational motion.

4. How does the shape of a chain affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of a chain can greatly affect its moment of inertia. A chain with a more compact shape, such as a circle or oval, will have a higher moment of inertia compared to a chain with a more elongated shape, such as a straight line or a spiral.

5. Can moment of inertia be changed?

Yes, moment of inertia can be changed by altering the distribution of mass along an object's rotational axis. This can be achieved by changing the shape or composition of the object, or by adding or removing mass at different points along the object.