Why does a rubber band shrink when heated with a hairdryer?

In summary, the experiment involved suspending a rubber band with a weight in hot and cold water, resulting in the band expanding and shrinking respectively. However, when the rubber band was heated with a hairdryer, it unexpectedly shrank. This could possibly be explained by the concept of heat shrink tubing. The length of the rubber band may have also been permanently changed by the hot air. The temperatures involved in the experiment were not mentioned.
IB tired
Hmm...some experimenting led to an interesting result. I attached a weight to a rubber band and suspended the rubber band in some hot water. The rubber band expanded. I repeated the experiment in cold water and the band shrank. An expected result, yes? Well I redid the experiment in air and I got something totally different. I used a hairdryer and heated the band with the weight on it and the band shrunk...anybody care to explain why?
thanks!
:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an estimate (be close) of the temperatures involved?

IB tired said:
Hmm...some experimenting led to an interesting result. I attached a weight to a rubber band and suspended the rubber band in some hot water. The rubber band expanded. I repeated the experiment in cold water and the band shrank. An expected result, yes? Well I redid the experiment in air and I got something totally different. I used a hairdryer and heated the band with the weight on it and the band shrunk...anybody care to explain why?
thanks!
:)

Maybe google to see how "heat shrink tubing" works. Note -- the rubber band's length was permanently changed by the hot air, correct?

What is the difference between a rubber band in air and water?

The main difference between a rubber band in air and water is the medium in which it is placed. In air, the rubber band is subject to the forces of gravity, while in water, it experiences buoyancy. This means that the rubber band will float in water and sink in air.

Why does a rubber band float in water?

A rubber band floats in water because the density of the rubber band is less than the density of water. The buoyant force of the water is greater than the weight of the rubber band, causing it to float.

Does the size of the rubber band affect its behavior in air vs water?

Yes, the size of the rubber band can affect its behavior in air vs water. A larger rubber band will displace more water and therefore experience a greater buoyant force, making it more likely to float. In addition, a larger rubber band may have a higher surface area, which can affect its ability to resist sinking in water.

What happens to a rubber band's elasticity in water?

The elasticity of a rubber band will decrease in water due to the presence of water molecules between the rubber molecules. This reduces the ability of the rubber band to stretch and return to its original shape, making it less elastic.

Can a rubber band be stretched more in air or water?

A rubber band can be stretched more in air than in water. In air, there is less resistance to stretching, allowing the rubber band to elongate to a greater extent. In water, the buoyant force and water molecules between the rubber molecules restrict its ability to stretch.