Why does alanine salt have a pH of 6.113?

• Thread starter fangrz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph Salt
In summary, The alanine salt has a pH of about 6.113, which is the average of the 2 pKas. The carboxyl group is a weak base and the amine group is a weak acid. The salt dissociates and is soluble in water, with Na+ having a negligible effect on pH. The sodium alanine salt, when dissolved, becomes alkaline due to deprotonation of the amino group to make it -NH2. The neutral alanine amino acid has a pH of about 6 and exists as zwitterions in solution. Polymerization is not observed in water due to the equilibrium being against it.
fangrz
I understand that alanine salt ooks like this:

imgf000011_0001.png

However, does it look like that in solution? Does the salt dissociate? I know that alanine salt has a pH of about 6.113 because it is the average of the 2 pKas. However, if this salt dissociates, it seems that the carboxyl group is a weak base. Does this mean that the amine group is a weak acid? I cannot find online that the amine group goes from NH2 to NH (unless in a protein backbone), but I do see that it can go from NH2 to NH3+?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In the last words you seem to have the essential of the answer to your question.

epenguin said:
In the last words you seem to have the essential of the answer to your question.

Thank you! I gather that the salt is soluble, so there is Na+ in solution, and its effect on pH is negligible. So, I am now looking at the amino acid portion of the salt. I understand how normal dehydrolysis works to make the protein backbone. However, there can't seem to be a dehydrolysis reaction occurring here in order to make NH2 go to NH since the carboxyl group is deprotonated?

You really need to revise on almost any book ionisations of amines, carboxylic acids, and amino acids, then you could ask better questions. You will see no reaction "NH2 go to NH" just -NH2 to -NH3+.

Actually the sodium alanine salt will not have a pH near 6.1. Neutral alanine, e.g. what you get out of the bottle labeled alanine will give you that pH and essentially all the molecules are zwitterions (look it up). If instead you get out of the bottle labeled "alanine Na Salt" (it could be called sodium alaninate but it never is) then you have essentially what you have pictured but if you dissolve it it will be alkaline. Yes it is fully dissociated.

epenguin said:
You really need to revise on almost any book ionisations of amines, carboxylic acids, and amino acids, then you could ask better questions. You will see no reaction "NH2 go to NH" just -NH2 to -NH3+.

Actually the sodium alanine salt will not have a pH near 6.1. Neutral alanine, e.g. what you get out of the bottle labeled alanine will give you that pH and essentially all the molecules are zwitterions (look it up). If instead you get out of the bottle labeled "alanine Na Salt" (it could be called sodium alaninate but it never is) then you have essentially what you have pictured but if you dissolve it it will be alkaline. Yes it is fully dissociated.

Thank you! I apologize if my terminology is bad; I have not taken organic chemistry yet. I looked up zwitterions and pIs; is it true that the pI is essentially the pH of the neutral pure amino acid? Also, the alaninate salt is basic because of the -COO- group accepting protons, right?

fangrz said:
Thank you! I apologize if my terminology is bad; I have not taken organic chemistry yet. I looked up zwitterions and pIs; is it true that the pI is essentially the pH of the neutral pure amino acid?
That's right.
fangrz said:
Also, the alaninate salt is basic because of the -COO- group accepting protons, right?
I wouldn't say that's a good way of putting it, in fact not right. If you dissolve some alanine it will be pH about 6, and essentially all zwitterIonic +NH3CH3CHCOO- . The salt is what you get if to that per mole of alanine you add one mole of NaOH. You would expect that to also make it alkaline. Doing that you won't have done anything to the -COO- group which will remain negatively charged but rather you will have deprotonated the amino -NH3+ group to make it -NH2.

You don't need to know everything about the chemistry to get the basic ideas of amino acids (we are talking only of their physical aspect) but you need to at least some basics of them, and physical chemistry of acids and bases in general, at least enough to be comfortable with these formulae.

epenguin said:
That's right.

I wouldn't say that's a good way of putting it, in fact not right. If you dissolve some alanine it will be pH about 6, and essentially all zwitterIonic +NH3CH3CHCOO- . The salt is what you get if to that per mole of alanine you add one mole of NaOH. You would expect that to also make it alkaline. Doing that you won't have done anything to the -COO- group which will remain negatively charged but rather you will have deprotonated the amino -NH3+ group to make it -NH2.

You don't need to know everything about the chemistry to get the basic ideas of amino acids (we are talking only of their physical aspect) but you need to at least some basics of them, and physical chemistry of acids and bases in general, at least enough to be comfortable with these formulae.

Thank you again! When you dissolve alanine in water, doesn't it form a polymer? Is the reason why it is acidic is that at the end of the chain, the carboxyl group acts as a weak acid, overriding the weak base effect of the amine group? In this regard, are there multiple polymer chains in solution? I am not quite sure what alanine dissolved in water actually looks like. I really appreciate your help.

fangrz said:
Thank you again! When you dissolve alanine in water, doesn't it form a polymer? Is the reason why it is acidic is that at the end of the chain, the carboxyl group acts as a weak acid, overriding the weak base effect of the amine group? In this regard, are there multiple polymer chains in solution? I am not quite sure what alanine dissolved in water actually looks like. I really appreciate your help.

No not in water. You are right that there is a sort of chemical possibility there in principle of polymerization, but the equilibrium is all against it. Look at the supposed polymerization reaction - it's actually getting rid of water. In fact you can get a sort of messy polymerization by heating nearly dry amino acids, I forget exact conditions, which has interested some Origin of life people. Of course proteins in life are synthesized from amino acids but the latter need to be activated by adenylyation if that means anything to you, plus a whole lot of other stuff which is a large fraction of molecular biology, not suitable for one paragraph summaries! :oldbiggrin:.

Likes fangrz
epenguin said:
No not in water. You are right that there is a sort of chemical possibility there in principle of polymerization, but the equilibrium is all against it. Look at the supposed polymerization reaction - it's actually getting rid of water. In fact you can get a sort of messy polymerization by heating nearly dry amino acids, I forget exact conditions, which has interested some Origin of life people. Of course proteins in life are synthesized from amino acids but the latter need to be activated by adenylyation if that means anything to you, plus a whole lot of other stuff which is a large fraction of molecular biology, not suitable for one paragraph summaries! :oldbiggrin:.

Thank you! Am I right, though, that for zwitterion amino acids, the NH2 acts as a weak base and the COOH acts as a weak acid, and the weak acid overrides the effect of the weak base to make the pH of the solution acidic? Thanks again (I keep saying this but I really appreciate your explanations!)

fangrz said:
Am I right, though, that for zwitterion amino acids, the NH2 acts as a weak base and the COOH acts as a weak acid, and the weak acid overrides the effect of the weak base to make the pH of the solution acidic?

It depends on their relative strengths, so in general, depending on the amino acid, the solution can be either slightly acidic or slightly basic.

epenguin said:
Borek said:
It depends on their relative strengths, so in general, depending on the amino acid, the solution can be either slightly acidic or slightly basic.
Thank you everyone! I realized I had it mixed up, since amino acids exist in +NH3CH3CHCOO- form.

1. Why does alanine salt have a pH of 6.113?

The pH of a substance is a measure of its acidity or basicity. In the case of alanine salt, the pH of 6.113 indicates that it is slightly acidic. This is because alanine is an amino acid that contains a carboxyl group, which can release a hydrogen ion (H+) in solution, making it slightly acidic.

2. How is the pH of a substance determined?

The pH of a substance can be determined using a pH meter or through a chemical indicator, which changes color based on the acidity or basicity of a solution. pH is also calculated by taking the negative logarithm of the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution.

3. What factors can affect the pH of alanine salt?

The pH of alanine salt can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration, and the presence of other substances in the solution. For example, increasing the concentration of alanine salt can result in a decrease in pH, making the solution more acidic.

4. Is a pH of 6.113 considered acidic or basic?

A pH of 6.113 falls within the range of 0-7 on the pH scale, which is considered acidic. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, while a pH above 7 is considered basic. Therefore, the pH of alanine salt at 6.113 indicates that it is slightly acidic.

5. Can the pH of alanine salt change over time?

Yes, the pH of alanine salt can change over time due to various factors such as the breakdown of the alanine molecules or the addition of other substances to the solution. Additionally, exposure to air can also cause changes in the pH of alanine salt due to the absorption of carbon dioxide, which can alter the acidity of the solution.