Why does back EMF in DC machines deviate from a pure sine wave?

In summary: The shape of the induced voltage is made by adapting the shape of the poles and by arranging the windings of the coils.
Syed Taha ahmed
Why voltages out of the rotating loop is constant positive and negative **Why nOT varying like sinusoidal **.

Like it has a wave form of O to 2*vBL and then it maintain its value there for some time before failing to zero and changing direction. I have attach the image file from my book Electrical machines Stephen J Chapman.
mHaJW.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Syed Taha ahmed said:
Why voltages out of the rotating loop is constant positive and negative **Why nOT varying like sinusoidal **.
I suggest that it is because it's a BLDC-motor with trapezoidal commutation ( instead of sinusoidal commutation ).
It's quite normal to design BLDC-motors in this way, because it is easier to control such motors. Sinus look-up tables are not needed.
The shape of the induced voltage is made by adapting the shape of the poles and by arranging the windings of the coils.

main02.gif

BLDC-motors were invented many years ago, when motors were controlled by an Intel 8085 processor.
Today much more powerful processors can easily handle synchronous motors with sinusoidal commutation, and with much higher efficiency.

Last edited:
I think a key piece of information to keep in mind in relation to the signal in the figure is the statement in the last paragraph in the figure itself: "which clearly relates the behavior of the single loop to the behavior of larger, real dc marchines". In other words, if you add more loops and you offset them from each other and you connect them in series, you start getting a different signal shape.

But my question is that why they do not adopt sine wave shape. If it BLDC motor then why four loop dc motor Induce EMf diagram shape is like this

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 493
In Machine the loop is continuously changing the flux so why it 2VBL peak voltage level is maintain for some interval of time then it falls to zero like a sinusoidal way.
But what we read for generators is a sinusoidal graph which shows that the peak volatge is onyly for short time that is at at zero position.

Hesch said:
I suggest that it is because it's a BLDC-motor with trapezoidal commutation ( instead of sinusoidal commutation ).
It's quite normal to design BLDC-motors in this way, because it is easier to control such motors. Sinus look-up tables are not needed.
The shape of the induced voltage is made by adapting the shape of the poles and by arranging the windings of the coils.

main02.gif

BLDC-motors were invented many years ago, when motors were controlled by an Intel 8085 processor.
Today much more powerful processors can easily handle synchronous motors with sinusoidal commutation, and with much higher efficiency.
Brother Thanks for Your help but it is not BLDC motor.

Hhhmmm, I think I understand your concern.

One thing that occurs to me at this point is in regards to the model assumptions.

It seems that the single-loop generator that produces a sinusoidal voltage wave is one where the magnetic flux lines are always horizontal as they go from the north pole to the south pole stator pieces. When this is the case, the velocity of the wire that needs to be considered for vB is the component that is perpendicular to the direction of B and because the wire is rotating in circular motion, well...get it?

On the flip side, the model that you show above indicates that the magnetic flux lines are always perpendicular to the surface of the rotor, and, so, in this case, vB remains constant and you can assume to always take advantage of the entire tangential velocity of the wire.

Back EMF deviates from a pure sine wave because 1. the magnetic field of the armature distorts the field of the permanent magnets (armature reaction), offsetting the magnetic neutral plane from the geometric neutral plane, and 2. armature inductance, throwing back emf out of phase with armature current.

What is induction in DC machines?

Induction in DC machines refers to the process of creating an electromotive force (EMF) in the armature of a DC machine by rotating it between the poles of a permanent magnet or an electromagnet.

How is EMF induced in DC machines?

EMF is induced in DC machines through the process of electromagnetic induction, which occurs when a conductor (such as the armature of a DC machine) moves through a magnetic field. This movement creates a change in magnetic flux, which in turn creates an EMF in the conductor.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF in DC machines?

The magnitude of induced EMF in DC machines is affected by the speed of rotation, the strength of the magnetic field, and the number of turns in the armature winding. Generally, a higher speed, stronger magnetic field, and more turns in the winding will result in a higher induced EMF.

What is the purpose of inducing EMF in DC machines?

The main purpose of inducing EMF in DC machines is to generate electricity. The induced EMF in the armature of a DC machine can be used to power various electrical devices and systems.

What is the difference between induced EMF and applied voltage in DC machines?

Induced EMF in DC machines is produced by the rotation of the armature in a magnetic field, while applied voltage is externally supplied to the machine. Induced EMF is dependent on the speed of rotation and strength of the magnetic field, while applied voltage can be controlled by an external power source. Additionally, induced EMF is alternating in nature, while applied voltage is typically direct current (DC).