Why does blood clot when removed?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood
In summary, the speed of the blood flow is not a factor in clotting. The amount of clotting found in a test tube is negligible. The collagen question is answered if you follow the way blood clots.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

If blood is taken to a tube it clots after a while. If the tube is glass, since it is a wettable surface the process is hastened, but my question is normally in the body when blood is flowing, anticoagulents are dominant over coagulents. Now if the blood is moving slow inside the body or out, why do coagulents become more dominant.

Also in capillaries there is only endothelium right no collagen. So how do platelets bind if a capillary wall is damaged, platelets bind to collagen right?

Thanks a lot :smile:

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Blood clotting occurs after the blood is exposed to certain proteins outside the endothelium. This is what you would need to look at to understand why blood clots in a test tube:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tissue_factor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Willebrand_factor

Now it's important to differentiate between blood drying and blood clotting, they are different. Is the speed of the blood flowing a factor in clotting? I'm not sure, I don't think so though. I think the amount of clotting found in a test tube is negligible, especially in ones that have anti-coagulation mixtures in them. (If properly used).

The collagen question is answered if you follow the way blood clots. Collagen is extremely abundant in the human body and it is recruited by von Willebrand Factor. It also recruits other things but if you follow the links above I think it should clear up the questions you've asked.

If not just holler :)

zomgwtf said:
Blood clotting occurs after the blood is exposed to certain proteins outside the endothelium. This is what you would need to look at to understand why blood clots in a test tube:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tissue_factor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Willebrand_factor

Now it's important to differentiate between blood drying and blood clotting, they are different. Is the speed of the blood flowing a factor in clotting? I'm not sure, I don't think so though. I think the amount of clotting found in a test tube is negligible, especially in ones that have anti-coagulation mixtures in them. (If properly used).

The collagen question is answered if you follow the way blood clots. Collagen is extremely abundant in the human body and it is recruited by von Willebrand Factor. It also recruits other things but if you follow the links above I think it should clear up the questions you've asked.

If not just holler :)

Thanks for the help :smile: I read about the things you have mentioned however I'm still little bit off in my thinking. Ok so if you get some blood into a test tube, where does the trauma occur. I mean the surrounding vessel is not damaged, I just put some blood into a test tube, what creates the trauma and make platelets release tissue factor.

Also a capillary is made only of endothelium, so how can platelets bind to sub endothelium collagen creating intrinsic pathway, in capillaries does extrinisic pathway take place. Thanks again :smile:

Related to Why does blood clot when removed?

1. Why does blood clot when removed?

When blood is removed from the body, it is no longer in contact with the lining of the blood vessels. This triggers a series of reactions that result in the formation of blood clots. The main purpose of blood clotting is to stop bleeding and prevent excessive blood loss.

2. How does the body initiate blood clotting?

The body has a complex system of proteins and cells that work together to initiate and regulate blood clotting. When a blood vessel is damaged, platelets (tiny cell fragments in the blood) rush to the site and begin to stick together. This triggers a cascade of chemical reactions that ultimately leads to the formation of a blood clot.

3. What is the role of platelets in blood clotting?

Platelets play a crucial role in blood clotting by forming a plug at the site of injury. They release chemicals that help attract more platelets and activate other components of the clotting system. This results in the formation of a stable blood clot that seals the damaged blood vessel.

4. What is the role of fibrin in blood clotting?

Fibrin is a protein that forms a mesh-like network around the platelets, reinforcing the blood clot and making it more stable. It is formed from a protein called fibrinogen, which is activated by an enzyme called thrombin. Fibrin also helps to trap red blood cells and other blood components, further strengthening the clot.

5. What happens to blood clots after they are formed?

Once a blood clot has served its purpose of stopping bleeding, the body begins to break it down through a process called fibrinolysis. This involves the activation of other enzymes that break down fibrin and dissolve the clot. This ensures that the blood vessel is not permanently blocked and allows for proper healing and tissue repair.