Why Does Electron Angular Momentum Not Align with External Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of total angular momentum of an electron, which is a combination of intrinsic angular momentum (spin) and orbital angular momentum. It is explained that when the electron is placed in a magnetic field, the total angular momentum vector precesses around the field in two possible states. The question is raised as to why the vector does not align parallel to the field, to which it is explained that the quantum mechanics of allowed components and eigenvalues prevent this from happening. The discussion then touches on the mathematics involved and confirms that this applies to all forms of angular momentum and can be applied to one or many electrons.
tasnim rahman
An electron has intrinsic angular momentum(spin) and orbital angular momentum, which gives rise to the total angular momentum of the electron, let's call it pj. When the electron is placed in an external magnetic field, the pj vector precesses around the magnetic field in one of two states(with or against the field). My question is why doesn't the pj vector align itself parallel to the direction of the external field? Is it because the pj vector can only have particular components in the the direction of the axis of the field, and none of the allowed components are equal to the magnitude of pj?

Physics news on Phys.org

The eigenvalues of L2 are l(l+1), and the eigenvalues of Lz are -m...+m. So you can't simultaneously satisfy those conditions and have all of the angular momentum pointing in the z-direction.

In QM, you can only ever determine the magnitude and the projection of the angular momentum vector on one axis (such as an external magnetic field). These correspond to the quantum numbers L and m as Vanadium pointed out.

This is because the 3 operators L_x, L_y and L_z do not commute.

Thanks M Quack and Vanadium 50. But I am sorry, I am not really familiar with the mathematics involved. But what I believe I understood, is that the projection of the total angular momentum vector on one axis(z-direction:here assumed to be the direction of the magnetic field) can have only particular magnitudes, as set by quantum mechanics. And that the magnitude of the projections, can not be equal to the magnitude of the total angular momentum vector. Right?

Last edited:

Quick help anyone?:bugeye:

What you say sounds correct to me.

M Quack. Thank you very much for the verification.:biggrin:

tasnim rahman said:
Thanks M Quack and Vanadium 50. But I am sorry, I am not really familiar with the mathematics involved. But what I believe I understood, is that the projection of the total angular momentum vector on one axis(z-direction:here assumed to be the direction of the magnetic field) can have only particular magnitudes, as set by quantum mechanics. And that the magnitude of the projections, can not be equal to the magnitude of the total angular momentum vector. Right?
Does this work only for the orbital angular momentum, or the total angular momentum (as in the angular momentum by vector addition of the orbital and spin momentum)?

All of them.

Spin, orbital, total. One electron or many.

Thanks a lot M Quack.

Related to Why Does Electron Angular Momentum Not Align with External Field?

1. Why doesn't electron angular momentum align with an external magnetic field?

Electrons possess an intrinsic property called spin, which contributes to their total angular momentum. This spin is always oriented in a specific direction and cannot be changed by an external magnetic field. Therefore, the electron's angular momentum will not align with the external field.

2. How does the spin of an electron affect its angular momentum?

The spin of an electron is a component of its total angular momentum. This means that the spin contributes to the overall angular momentum of the electron, along with its orbital angular momentum. Therefore, the spin of an electron can affect its alignment with an external magnetic field.

3. Can an electron's spin be changed?

No, the spin of an electron is an intrinsic property and cannot be changed. It is always oriented in a specific direction and cannot be altered by external factors.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that electron angular momentum does not align with an external field?

Yes, in some cases, the spin of an electron can align with an external magnetic field. This is known as the Zeeman effect, and it occurs when the electron is in an excited state with a higher energy level. In this state, the spin can align with the external field, causing a splitting of spectral lines.

5. How does electron angular momentum affect an atom's behavior in a magnetic field?

The electron's angular momentum, along with the spin, contributes to the overall magnetic moment of an atom. This affects the atom's behavior in a magnetic field, as the atom will experience a torque and can be oriented in a particular direction depending on the strength and direction of the external field.