Why does light kill a cockroach?

• Thread starter k9b4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: And it wasn't an experiment, as you correctly point out. There was no attempt to frame it as anything more than a kill. He just happened to learn something from it.And it is categorized as a pest. Ethically, we kill them.He gets a pass from me.
k9b4
Today I killed a cockroach by shining a light on it. I caught the cockroach, put it in a glass cup, and shone a light down on it. After about 30 seconds the cockroach stopped behaving 'normally'; it started twitching and jerking uncontrollably and stopped trying to escape from the glass cup. After about 1 minute the cockroach stopped moving completely.

Now, I can think of two very general explanations:
1) The heat from the light killed the cockroach by some mechanism (the cockroach's body was rather hot to the touch after its death)
2) The light, being an electromagnetic wave, interferes with the cockroach's nervous system in such a way that its vital processes are disrupted

Can anyone help me to understand what happened?

I suspect the first explanation is the most likely. If it is the heat which killed the cockroach, could someone please explain why heat kills things?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
k9b4 said:
I suspect the first answer is the most likely.

You are correct it is the heat.

k9b4 said:
If it is the heat which killed the cockroach, could someone please explain why heat kills things?

Well, there could be many reasons, but barring gross physiological effects related to temperature regulation and blood pressure, etc. involved in overheating, excessive heat denatures cellular and tissue proteins which end badly for the organism.

DiracPool said:
You are correct it is the heat.
Well, there could be many reasons, but barring gross physiological effects related to temperature regulation and blood pressure, etc. involved in overheating, excessive heat denatures cellular and tissue proteins which end badly for the organism.
Thank you

30 seconds??

What was this light? How close?
If you repeat the experiment with your hand at the same distance for the same time, what do you experience?

DaveC426913 said:
30 seconds??
Well I didn't time it, the 30 seconds is my subjective evaluation. Though it was faster than I expected.
DaveC426913 said:
What was this light? How close?
The light was a 30 watt bulb plugged into the wall, about 5-10 centimeters from the cockroach.
DaveC426913 said:
If you repeat the experiment with your hand at the same distance for the same time, what do you experience?
I experience the feeling of heat on my hand. I can keep my hand there for about 20 seconds before it gets too hot. Remember that these times are subjective evaluations, I am not using any sort of timing device.

Isn't anyone going to mention anything about the ethics of doing this sort of "experiment"? I'm putting "experiment" in quotes because it's a poorly designed and controlled one anyway.

There's a reason that animal experimentation on a proper scale (at least that which has federal funding) has to undergo approval by an IACUC or something similar. This is, of course, not comparable in scale, but the same ethical objections apply. You're basically torturing a conscious, sensate animal to death.

And I happen to loathe cockroaches. Doesn't change my opinion.

k9b4 said:
Well I didn't time it, the 30 seconds is my subjective evaluation. Though it was faster than I expected.

The light was a 30 watt bulb plugged into the wall, about 5-10 centimeters from the cockroach.

I experience the feeling of heat on my hand. I can keep my hand there for about 20 seconds before it gets too hot. Remember that these times are subjective evaluations, I am not using any sort of timing device.
Yeah, no. I was just surprised that it happened in less than a minute. But your self-experiment settled it.

Curious3141 said:
Isn't anyone going to mention anything about the ethics of doing this sort of "experiment"? I'm putting "experiment" in quotes because it's a poorly designed and controlled one anyway.

There's a reason that animal experimentation on a proper scale (at least that which has federal funding) has to undergo approval by an IACUC or something similar. This is, of course, not comparable in scale, but the same ethical objections apply. You're basically torturing a conscious, sensate animal to death.

Well, it's not conscious so that's out.

And it wasn't an experiment, as you correctly point out. There was no attempt to frame it as anything more than a kill. He just happened to learn something from it.

And it is categorized as a pest. Ethically, we kill them.

All he did was use an inefficient method. It's not like he tried to keep it alive to prolong its suffering.

And I've crisped my share of ants with a magnifier.

He gets a pass from me.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:

Sorry, I feel little empathy for cockroaches. I cannot relate to them, their deaths do not disturb me.

Nitpicking a possible anthropomorphism here:

DaveC426913 said:
it's not conscious

Consciousness is not yet a well defined state in biology. In medicine it is better defined, as "observing a patient's arousal and responsiveness" [Wikipedia].

This would simply transfer to "awake" in animals that has a sleep trait.

Getting back to the topic I'm incredibly surprised that you managed to kill it in such a short time. Was this a desk lamp or something? That might pump out enough heat. As for why heat kills things in terms of rapid heating it causes burning, breaking molecular bonds and destroying organisms at a molecular/cellular leve.

Incandescent bulbs can get pretty warm if they've been on for a while, florescent bulbs not so much.

Curious3141 said:

IACUC doesn't require paperwork for invertebrates because they don't have feelings :P

I'm fairly certain your first assumption is correct.

To be more specific, it's the photons in light that energize the atoms that make up the cockroach. When the atoms fall back to their normal state, they give off the energy in the form of heat. A lot of heat is obviously bad for pretty much anything.

1. Why does light kill things?

Light can kill things due to its ability to produce high-energy radiation that can damage biological tissues. This radiation can cause mutations in DNA, disrupt cellular processes, and ultimately lead to cell death.

2. How does light cause harm to living organisms?

Light can cause harm to living organisms through a process called phototoxicity. This occurs when light energy reacts with molecules in a living organism, producing toxic byproducts that can damage cells and tissues.

3. Are all types of light harmful to living organisms?

No, not all types of light are harmful to living organisms. Ultraviolet (UV) radiation, for example, is a type of light that can be harmful to living organisms, while visible light (the light we can see) does not typically cause harm.

4. Can light be used to kill harmful bacteria or viruses?

Yes, light can be used to kill harmful bacteria or viruses through a process called photodynamic therapy. This involves using specific wavelengths of light to activate photosensitizing agents that can kill bacteria or viruses.

5. Is there a safe level of exposure to light for living organisms?

Yes, there is a safe level of exposure to light for living organisms. The amount of light that can cause harm varies depending on the type of light and the organism's sensitivity to it. For example, some organisms can withstand higher levels of UV radiation than others.