Why Does Metal Require More Energy for Electron Emission?

In summary, the difference between excitation and emission is that excitation is when you get the electron moving, whereas emission is when you send it flying.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

in my book , i was told that for the emission of electron from a metal surface to occur , the photon which incident on the metal must have at least the energy more than the work function of metal , whereas for the emission of electron from H atom, the photon must have exactly the same energy between the energy levels... is there reason for this ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement about H atoms is incorrect.

Likes desmond iking
Simon Bridge said:
The statement about H atoms is incorrect.
please refer to the underlined notes.

Attachments

• IMG_20141005_193127[1].jpg
    IMG_20141005_193127[1].jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 349
The notes in the pic talk about the excitation of hydrogen by absorption of an electron.
In post #1 you wrote:
...whereas for the emission of electron from H atom, the photon must...
emission and excitation are different things.
the equivalent to the work function for hydrogen is the ionization energy - 13.6eV

Likes desmond iking
Simon Bridge said:
The notes in the pic talk about the excitation of hydrogen by absorption of an electron.
In post #1 you wrote:

emission and excitation are different things.
the equivalent to the work function for hydrogen is the ionization energy - 13.6eV
sorry. noted my mistake.
now , my question is for excitation for hydrogen atoms , why must the photon energy hf exactly equal to difference between energy level , whereas for emission of electron for metal surface , the incident photon energy can be equal or MORE than the work function of metal?

You are still comparing apples and pears - but I think I can see what you are getting at.
Recap:

When you excite an atom, the electron is still bound to the atom.
If you excite a metal, the electron is still bound to the metal.
In both cases, the incoming energy must be exactly a transition energy between two levels.

For a photon to knock an electron off a metal, it must have energy at least equal to the work function.
If the energy is more than the work function - the difference is the kinetic energy of the electron.
If the energy is exactly the work function, then the electron barely breaks out and it's 50:50 that it will go back in.

For a photon to knock an electron off an atom, it must have energy at least equal to the atom's ionization energy.
If the energy is more than the ionization energy - the difference is the kinetic energy of the electron.
Basically the same as for the metal.

I'm thinking: you may be asking why empty space does not have discrete energy levels like inside an atom - is that the case?
But you may also be asking why you cannot eject an electron from a metal by giving it energy exactly equal to the work function.
Or it may be something else.

Likes desmond iking

Related to Why Does Metal Require More Energy for Electron Emission?

1. Why does metal require more energy for electron emission compared to other materials?

Metal has a higher binding energy for its electrons, meaning that it takes more energy to overcome the attractive forces between the electrons and the metal ions. This is due to the close packing of metal atoms and their strong metallic bonds.

2. What is the relationship between the energy required for electron emission and the type of metal?

The energy required for electron emission is dependent on the specific metal and its electronic structure. Different metals have different numbers of electrons, which affects their binding energy and the amount of energy needed to release an electron.

3. Is it possible for metal to have a lower energy requirement for electron emission?

Yes, it is possible for certain metals to have a lower energy requirement for electron emission. This is usually the case for metals with a higher number of valence electrons, as they have weaker binding energies and require less energy to release an electron.

4. How does the temperature of the metal affect the energy needed for electron emission?

Increasing the temperature of the metal can lower the energy required for electron emission. This is because heat causes the metal ions to vibrate, making it easier for electrons to break free from their bonds and be emitted.

5. Can external factors, such as impurities or surface condition, affect the energy required for electron emission in metal?

Yes, external factors can affect the energy required for electron emission in metal. Impurities or defects in the metal's crystal structure can create localized areas with lower binding energies, making it easier for electrons to be emitted. Similarly, a rough or oxidized surface can also lower the energy requirement for electron emission.