Do holes conduct electricity in metal?

In summary: The energy level an electron must be excited to contribute to conductivity is different for each metal and depends on its specific band structure. It is typically in the range of a few electron volts above the Fermi energy.In summary, the conduction band of a metal is partially filled and when an electron from a lower band is excited, it becomes mobile and contributes to the metal's conductivity. The excitation also leaves behind a hole in the lower band, which also contributes to conductivity. The minimum energy level an electron must be excited to for it to contribute to conductivity is typically a few electron volts above the Fermi energy, which is the highest energy level of an electron in a metal at 0 Kelvin.
Happiness

Homework Statement

The conduction band of a metal is partially filled.

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 8.50.14 pm.png

When an electron of a metal from a lower band is excited and becomes mobile, the metal conducts electricity. The excitation also leaves behind a hole in the lower band.

Q1. Does this hole contribute to the electrical conductivity of a metal?

Q2. What is the energy level an electron must be excited to for it contribute to conductivity? Is it any level above the Fermi energy? The Fermi energy is the highest energy level of an electron of a metal at 0 Kelvin.

Homework Equations

This is NOT a homework question. I just want to clarify my concepts.

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1. Both holes and electrons contribute to conductivity of semiconductors. So I guess this is true for metals too. A metal is made up of metal cations in a sea of delocalised electrons. The electrons in the lower band (those that are not delocalised) from a metal cation can move to an adjacent metal cation and fill up its holes. Or maybe they can't move. If so, then why those in a semiconductor atom can move to an adjacent atom to fill up its holes? Doesn't this produce a contradiction?

Q2. By suggesting that the minimum energy required is the Fermi energy, that is already my attempt to answer my question. Clearly, I'm not an expert in band theory. If I am, I won't be asking these questions. If the answer is no, it's not Fermi energy, then we will just call it something else, like conduction energy. And it should be higher than Fermi energy.

This is my own question. I just want to clarify my concepts.

[Moderator's note: non-pertinent content edited]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In a metal, the concept of holes doesn't work as well as it does for semiconductor because there is no gap that would separate the energy levels into two different regions.

Holes in metals could be interpreted as unoccupied low-energetic electron states below the Fermi level. Those contribution to conduction, sure.You don't see the localized electrons in this picture, their energy is even lower.
Happiness said:
Q2. By suggesting that the minimum energy required is the Fermi energy,
It is close to the Fermi energy - within the range where the occupancy is neither "nearly 100%" nor "nearly 0".

1. Do all holes in metal conduct electricity?

No, not all holes in metal conduct electricity. Holes can be created in metal through various means such as drilling, cutting, or corrosion. The ability of a hole to conduct electricity depends on its size, shape, and the material of the metal.

2. Can holes in metal conduct electricity better than solid metal?

In most cases, solid metal will conduct electricity better than holes in metal. This is because solid metal has a continuous path for electrons to flow, while holes may create breaks or gaps in the path. However, some types of holes, such as small pores in certain metals, can actually improve the conductivity of the metal by creating more surface area for electron movement.

3. Do holes in metal affect the overall conductivity of the metal?

Yes, holes in metal can affect the overall conductivity of the metal. As mentioned before, the size and shape of the hole can impact its conductivity. Additionally, if the metal contains a high concentration of holes, it can decrease the overall conductivity of the metal due to the interruptions in electron flow.

4. Can electricity pass through holes in metal at all?

Yes, electricity can pass through holes in metal. However, it may not flow as efficiently as through solid metal. This is because electrons may have to travel around or through the hole, which can create resistance and decrease the flow of electricity.

5. How do holes in metal affect the electrical properties of the metal?

The presence of holes in metal can alter the electrical properties of the metal in various ways. As mentioned before, it can affect the conductivity of the metal. Holes can also impact the resistance and capacitance of the metal. Additionally, holes can cause changes in the magnetic properties of the metal, which can further affect its electrical properties.