Why Does Pain Occur During a Coronary Artery Block?

• Medical
  • Thread starter mktsgm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Pain
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of pain in a coronary artery block and the pathophysiology of pain during a heart attack. The person asks why pain occurs in this situation and if it is the body's way of trying to heal itself. The other person suggests that pain is a feeling that indicates something is wrong, and it is triggered by the nervous system. They also suggest seeking medical attention if experiencing these symptoms.
mktsgm
Hi,

I have a doubt. Why pain occurs in a coronary artery block. I can understand, heart cannot work efficiently if blood sent to is less. It may lack oxygen and other nutrients. It can even fail to perform or even be dead.

But why there should be a pain? What is the role of pain and how pain neurotransmitters triggered?

I would like to know the pathyphysiology of pain during a heart attack. Especially why?

Does the body trying to heal itself?

Regards,

Biology news on Phys.org
What we experience as pain is a 'feeling', something is not right.
It can be something simple like accidentally burning yourself on a hot plate.
The nervous system makes triggers that mostly are responded to at 'low level' - we remove our hand from the plate before we experience pain as such.
My guess is that the same kind of reaction is hapenning in the situation you described.
Initially parts of the nervous system close to the problem react, and somewhat later 'something happened' registers as conscious 'pain'.

mktsgm said:
Hi,

I have a doubt. Why pain occurs in a coronary artery block. I can understand, heart cannot work efficiently if blood sent to is less. It may lack oxygen and other nutrients. It can even fail to perform or even be dead.

But why there should be a pain? What is the role of pain and how pain neurotransmitters triggered?

I would like to know the pathyphysiology of pain during a heart attack. Especially why?

Does the body trying to heal itself?

Regards,
This can be easily googled and is too broad for us to go into. If after you look this up your self you have more *specific* questions, then please feel free to ask.

if you are asking because you or someone you know is experiencing this, please see a doctor as soon as possble.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a coronary artery block?

A coronary artery block occurs when one or more of the arteries that supply blood to the heart become narrowed or completely blocked. This can happen due to a buildup of plaque, which is made up of cholesterol, fat, and other substances.

How does a coronary artery block cause pain?

When a coronary artery becomes blocked, the heart muscle is not able to receive enough oxygen and nutrients. This lack of blood flow can cause chest pain, also known as angina. The pain occurs because the heart is not getting the necessary oxygen to function properly.

What are the risk factors for developing a coronary artery block?

There are several risk factors that can increase the likelihood of developing a coronary artery block. These include smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, and a family history of heart disease.

Can a coronary artery block be prevented?

There are steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of developing a coronary artery block. These include maintaining a healthy diet and weight, exercising regularly, not smoking, and managing any underlying health conditions such as high blood pressure or diabetes.

How is a coronary artery block treated?

Treatment for a coronary artery block depends on the severity of the blockage and the symptoms it is causing. Options may include lifestyle changes, medication, or surgical procedures such as angioplasty or bypass surgery. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the best course of treatment for each individual case.